PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the Shower and Heater

gatorSSV
10-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Hi there everyone! I have an 08 22' SSV launch that is new to me. I believe I have the basics down for winterizing it except for the shower and heater. Do these need to be drained/blown out? I live in Utah and the boat is going to sit for the next 6 months of winter weather If anyone has any advise on how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, this engine has anti-knock sensors on the rear block drain plugs. is there a certain process to remove these drain plugs or is it pretty much just simply unscrew them?
thanks

jzelt
10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Simply unscrew the knock sensor. I reinstalled them with a torque wrench as I believe they are 16 ft lbs. (download indmar pdf manual).

I don't have shower/heater, but I believe someone on here says to blow compressed air in them.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4998&highlight=heater

tg0824SSVGG
10-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I only have the heater, not a shower (yet) - but I take the hose off at the engine
on the passenger side - just under the exhaust manifold. I put my air sprayer in there
and blow (stuff it in with a rag, or the water will just spray your face). I do this with the knock sensor out on that side of the engine, as that is where the water will come out.

Once that has been blowing air for a minute or so, I pour some RV antifreeze into the hose (about 1/4 gallon) and then blow again (rag here too) until I see orange/pink
coming out the block. Then I put the hose back on the block.

I did this about 6 times last year (as we would go out on warm days, then re-drain)
and it worked great - just did it again (2nd time this year) last Sunday.

Once I install the shower, I am thinking the procedure will be similar - that's what I
do on the RV external shower.

Todd

gatorSSV
10-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for your help. do you think I would be ok to just disconnect the cold/return hose and blow the water out there instead of through the knock sensor plug. I examined the shower set up and it is very similar to the heater except its on the opposite side of the engine and there is also a cold water hose spliced into hose off the cooler. I think ill just disconnect both ends of both hoses, blow the water out and then put a little RV antifreeze in the pump.

Stupid Question though:
Could this whole process be easier and just as effective if I just sucked a bunch of antifreeze up through the impeller and stopped once it came out the back?

One more Question: about winterizing ballast pumps and lines. what do you recommend?
thanks for your time and help

jzelt
10-23-2009, 10:30 AM
For ballast hoses, I disconnected the bags and blew air into the hoses by mouth...Ran pumps and made sure no water was in them. Pulled water strainer off and rinsed it out.

jaywidhalm
10-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for your help. do you think I would be ok to just disconnect the cold/return hose and blow the water out there instead of through the knock sensor plug. I examined the shower set up and it is very similar to the heater except its on the opposite side of the engine and there is also a cold water hose spliced into hose off the cooler. I think ill just disconnect both ends of both hoses, blow the water out and then put a little RV antifreeze in the pump.

Stupid Question though:
Could this whole process be easier and just as effective if I just sucked a bunch of antifreeze up through the impeller and stopped once it came out the back?

One more Question: about winterizing ballast pumps and lines. what do you recommend?
thanks for your time and help

I know the dealer up here in WA disconnects both hosees for the heater from the engine and blows the water out from/through the hoses. Doesn't do it through the sensor hole. I don't think they even put any RV antifreeze in the hoses when they are done. I don't have a shower either, but it sounds pretty much the same. I am told the trick with the antifreeze is that you have to get the boat up to temp to have the thermostat open before hot water will go to the heater, or you have to remove it first.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Todd hope you make your own shower, it is simple and much cheaper about $75 total.
Instructions: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/84572.html?1065589943

tg0824SSVGG
10-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow -thanks MikeyD - that's even better than the others I have seen ...