PDA

View Full Version : 21v Launch Wakesurf Boat

21vGravityCustom
10-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I just wanted to share how impressed we are with a new modification to our 21v. I spent the month of August wakesurfing behind an 08 x-45 Mastercraft which to say the least makes a huge surf wake since its a 24 footer and got us hooked on surfing. Our 08 21v Launch with the stock 400lb bags just really doesn't cut it for surfing on a smaller faster board. I spoke with Jim from Viper (since he designed my boat when he was with Supra) and asked about how much more weight we could add in it. After discussions with him and the nice guys at wakemakers.com, we added the 20x20x42 750 lb plus bags. They fit very nicely in the compartments and with some minor modifications to hoses and the bottoms of the seats we have a killer surf boat. We set the plate all the way up and anywhere from 10.4 - 11.6 mph and it makes a waist high clean crisp wave. I can't say enough about how versatile this Supra is and especially since its only a 21 ft boat. I will post pics next week once I get up to the lake to put her away for the year. It'll be next April before Surfs Up again - argh

87SunSportMikeyD
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey David that is awesome to hear! Just to comment, I have an 87 SunSport and we use a 750 on the floor and 600 in the rear storage locker for surfing. So the boat can definitly take that weight and even more if you want. But not really needed. The 750sac will make you smile all day. Sounds like Wakemakers has really made a niche for themselves. I too keep the plate all the way up but sometimes when I put it down just a tad it helps the wave if we are heavily weighted/large crew or choppy conditions.

jasonwm
10-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Glad to hear you guys are happy with the wake Dave, it was great working with you to get it setup.

Now we just need to get some more weight up front to lengthen the pocket a little. :)

87SunSportMikeyD
10-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Jason I am most impressed that you guys have gone beyone selling the parts and are a true resource for anyone building a custom ballast sys or improving. You know the ins and outs of every mfg's stock systems and how to improve/fix issues. You are providing a service even though you cant really charge for it. That is going to get you my business in the future for sure. :) And thanks for the 750 sac. :)

21vGravityCustom
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I'll get some pics of the actual modifications to the boat itself this weekend and post them. I had to re-route the fill hoses through the sidewalls of the engine compartments so they would not bind and would be on top of the bag and out of the way. Also wrapped the hoses with 3m shrink tube (think you may need to know someone from a gas company to get these) to keep it heat safe from the Cats and also from pinching when routing through. The bottoms of the seats now have 1/8" composite material so the 90 deg fittings don't rip the supra logo fabric on the underside. I must say we took our time to make it look OEM and it turned out sweet.

jasonwm
10-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Jason I am most impressed that you guys have gone beyone selling the parts and are a true resource for anyone building a custom ballast sys or improving. You know the ins and outs of every mfg's stock systems and how to improve/fix issues. You are providing a service even though you cant really charge for it. That is going to get you my business in the future for sure. :) And thanks for the 750 sac. :)
Thanks for the kind words (and for your business)! We love the watersports industry, and the people that are in it, which makes what we do a lot more fun.

I'll get some pics of the actual modifications to the boat itself this weekend and post them.
Can't wait to see them, shoot me an email when you have the pictures!

JONBLARC7
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Sent you a PM Jason

jasonwm
10-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Sent you a PM Jason

Back at ya!

21vGravityCustom
11-01-2009, 10:17 PM
More PICs to come of the ballast project, but here is our "i FLY" 21v

docdrs
11-01-2009, 10:36 PM
i have the stock 400 lb bags in my 21 v, do the 750's completely fill the storage locker?

Doug

jasonwm
11-02-2009, 02:57 AM
In a 21 750's will essentially completely fill the rear locker if you allow them to. Nothing says you have to fill them up completely though.

21vGravityCustom
11-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah - they fill it up for sure. That is why I put the composite material under the seats because it fully fills the area and the fill fitting has to be pushed down by the seat. Best purchase for this boat though if you want to surf. If you are just boarding the 400s are still the best setup.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
21vGC - That baby is beautiful!!!!!