PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bench Cover

Sluggo
10-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I know some of you are doing your own vinyl, some from scratch. I wondering if anyone can share what it takes to recover a rear bench if the skin is provided? Tools required? Source for consumables, stainless staples, etc... Dr. Vinyl can repair for about 2/3 of cost of new skin, so I think I would rather go with new vs repair and possibly another tear two months after.

TIA,

Dave

Patsfan
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey Slugo! The Supra interiors are sharp looking , but they work hard to make them look that good.
You are going to have to find someone that is good at boat upholstery.
The skin that you would get from the factory may not make since to most upholsterers.
You may be better off getting vinyl from the factory if possible and having a custom cover made.
Good luck and let me know how things work out.
If you are going to keep this sweet ride don't even think about a vinyl patch lasting.

jeckfreg
11-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Hello,

I am Jeck.This is my first visit to site.I am new to this site,but I’ve enjoyed posting in your forums.Welcome to the forum.I know some of you are doing your own vinyl, some from scratch.I wondering if anyone can share what it takes to recover a rear bench if the skin is provided?If vinyl is possible plz reply me.Thank you very much and Stay connected with me.

Patsfan
12-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the site. To cover a rear bench back in a Supra you need to have a steamer to heat the vinyl so it can fit the foam correctly. There a number of tricks from what I hear. Call Leading Edge, he patterned alot of the Supra interiors and worked with Matt Brown on some of the designs.
(865)408-1900
Good luck and come on summer time!

saltare inverts
01-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I am rebuilding my interior. I got staples, vinyl, foam etc. from Garys Upholstery. It has been well worth it but you will need some expensive equipment and knowledge to make it same as newer boats. Baseball stitching, steamer, foam former etc are expensive. I am doing mine with older singer sewing machine, ss staples and I am very pleased. If you decide to diy let me know I can help you avoid some of my mistakes.