PDA

View Full Version : Winterization Question

bam3352
10-29-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a 89 Saltare with the 454. I started winterizing it last weekend but I can not locate the plugs on the block to drain the cooling water from the system. On my engine there are two silver plugs that look just like manifold drain plugs, but they seem to high on the motor to be the drain plugs. I tried to get them off but they would not budge (I don't think I had the right tool)....are these the correct plugs I need to pull, or are they somehwere else. Also, what tools usually work best to get those out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

michael hunter
10-29-2009, 07:21 PM
The plugs should be just below the center freeze plugs on both sides of the block.

beast 496
10-29-2009, 07:32 PM
on your 454 you have two block plugs, two manifold plugs, an oil cooler plug, at U hose and two sea water pump hoses, these all need to drained properly. The manifold plugs OEM are a 3/4 pipe plug, with a 1/2" square indention a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench works best for this. If you cannot get it out with a standard wrench try a break over bar. The block plugs are 1/4" pipe plugs with a 9/16 head, a standard wrench works best of this. The oil cooler plug is a 1/8 pipe plug, the wrench size is 7/16. the hose clamps use a standard 5/16 nut driver to loosen. This is what I say after every winterizing " Block block, manifold manifold, U hose, oil cooler, sea water pump." If you have drained and physically see water coming out of every plug hole you will be ok. after the engine is drained I still run approximatly 1 gallon of Marine antifreeze through the system and then let run back out of the drain plugs. good luck Allan

wotan2525
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
on your 454 you have two block plugs, two manifold plugs, an oil cooler plug, at U hose and two sea water pump hoses, these all need to drained properly. The manifold plugs OEM are a 3/4 pipe plug, with a 1/2" square indention a 1/2" drive ratchet wrench works best for this. If you cannot get it out with a standard wrench try a break over bar. The block plugs are 1/4" pipe plugs with a 9/16 head, a standard wrench works best of this. The oil cooler plug is a 1/8 pipe plug, the wrench size is 7/16. the hose clamps use a standard 5/16 nut driver to loosen. This is what I say after every winterizing " Block block, manifold manifold, U hose, oil cooler, sea water pump." If you have drained and physically see water coming out of every plug hole you will be ok. after the engine is drained I still run approximatly 1 gallon of Marine antifreeze through the system and then let run back out of the drain plugs. good luck Allan

When I first bought my boat I tried to put a 1/2" drive ratchet in there with a breaker bar. Snapped the ratchet handle off. Tried it again with a heavier duty ratchet and snapped the snap-on brand drive socket. Decided it would never come out. It never has. I just flush/fill with 5 gallons of antifreeze now.

beast 496
10-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I hope you are using the "pink" non toxic antifreeze and not the green or orange type. If you are using the standard automotive type antifreeze this is toxic and can kill animals. The best solution would be to repair the drain plugs, use a little bit of heat on the plug, it will come out, one way or another. Once the plug is removed install a barbed 1" barbed fitting in the plug hole, attach a hose with a quick disconnect in the middle for easier draining. This also prevents rusty water to drain onto your carpeting. Allan