PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Supra sunsport 22v

sidetracked3
10-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Ok it looks like I am going to buy a 2008 sunsport 22v, and I am wondering who else has this boat and what they do and dont like about it. So any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also pictures of your boat would be great. Right now the boat is solid black but they said the would put the Supra emblem on the side with the new graphics if I want. Or I could leave it all black. What do you think?

mikebu
10-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Only downside I see is the lack of playpen bow up front. If you want to upgrade your front ballast you won't be able to keep it hidden and use the stock plumbing.

Fman
10-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I have this exact boat, and for me the walkthrough bow was the reason I went with the Sunsport. I dont care for the playpen seating, and the Sunsport does have a cushion to add in the middle to create a playpen if you choose to. As Mikebu mnetioned, you will not be able to add weight to the front as easily as the Launch, it comes stock with 400 lbs in the ski locker.

For families with kids, I think the Sunsport is a great choice for a wakeboard boat. The cooler is awesome, it will hold a lot of food and drinks to keep everyone satisfied for the entire day. You also get the small cooler under the rear bench seat. My kids like the walkthrough bow, its easy to get up in the front of the boat. It also comes with a pump to inflate towables under the steps. I upgraded to the 750 lb rear sacs, and it throws a great wakeboard wake and a very nice surf wave with this setup. With this setup you have 1,900 lbs. For the average wakeboarder this is going to be more wake than you will need. With the wakeboard prop and the 340 HP motor it pulls hard.

There are a couple things I did not like about this boat, which applies to all the '08 Supra line. The ballast fill/drain is horribly designed, I had to completely re-do the ballast fill/drain system and it works great now. (I have a write-up called Tsunami Ballast Upgrade, might be worth a look). The swivel board racks were poorly designed, they are sloppy and over time will get worse. The boards will start moving around and could become a safety hazard. Good news is, if you contact Scott from Roswell they will replace them for free with much better racks that are direct bolt ons. They are a good company to deal with.

Here are some items I would recommend making the sure the boat has:

3 vent heater system (use it all the time, great upgrade)
Z5 Cargo Rack
4 wheel disc brake trailer (its a heavy boat and needs good stopping power)
340 HP Indmar
Wakeboard prop
Hotwater shower (you can add this like I did, but is a nice to have)
Rad a cage tower
Swivel board racks (upgrade to the pull pin style)
Upgraded sound system
Adjustable wakeplate

I am pretty sure most of the Supras come with all this but was not sure if you are buying used or from a dealer. I noticed you mentioned the boat was all black, if you have never owned a black boat you are in for some high maintenace. They require a LOT of waxing and detailing to keep water spots off and colors from fading. They look great when they are detailed, just be prepared to wax on and wax off!

Good luck, and its a great boat! You wont be disappointed, I put 150 hours on it this year and just layed her down for winterization today..... :( if you have any more q's please ask.

Skylar18
10-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I have the 2007 Sunsport and went with it because of the huge step cooler and the walkthrough up front. Much better for kids and the once a year we bring the dog. (and vow never to o it again).

Wake is great, seating is I think perfect, and for the price blew away all the other models we looked at.

One thing I don't like about it is my fuel consumption. I feel it is not nearly what I like, however that might more to the fact we are always pulling people the whole time we are out, we don't seem to just hang out. Also I'm comparing it to our old I/O.

One other thing like Frman says, get your wakeboard swivel racks replaced with the manual pull pins. If you don't, yo will need to replace them in around a year anyways.

sidetracked3
10-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the input. I know the boat does not come with the heater. And I figured black would be tough to keep clean. But it does look good when cleaned up. I am asking the delaer for a detailed list of the options. Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it.

jaywidhalm
10-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I have the 08' Sunsport as well. Bought it brand new at the end of this season. Only got 15 hours on it, but love it. I also wanted the open bow for easy access, kids, and so the upholstry wasn't always getting stepped on. I think we are going to get the bow filler cushion for when we want to lounge more up front.
At this point I do not have ballast in mine, and from what I hear, the 08' system has many issues. Although I am not a pro-wakeboarder or surfer by any means, coming from my old I/O, the wake is plenty big for me at this point. The adjustable wakeplate is a must, but this should be stock in the 08's. I also slalom ski, and with the plate set all the way down, it makes an acceptable slalom wake.
The perfect pass is also very nice. Does yours have it? It is a totally integrated system. Some settings are a little tricky to get figured out, but once you do it is very nice, for wake, surf, and skiing. Makes it very simple for anyone to drive the boat and be able to pay attention to driving, rather than throttle and speed. My 12 year old daughter can pull me slalom skiing with no issues.

I got a 2 vent heater put in, just because up here in WA it gets cold, especially in the evenings. Wanted to extend my season a bit, and make it a little more comfortable for my wife to pull me. We love it, great family/kid friendly and universal boat.

Congrats!!

Fman
10-31-2009, 02:25 AM
I also forgot to mention the perfect pass pro, its a must, but I think it comes stock on all the '08 models. I like the '08/'09 dash, its simple and easy to follow. I am not a huge electronics guy, and the 2010's dash screams problems for me. Way to much electronic stuff to go wrong.

Just my .02...... let us know if you pick her up and send some pics!!!

sidetracked3
10-31-2009, 10:14 PM
I am still working on the deal. The guy I am dealing with has been in some sort of class for the past 2 weeks so it has been hit and miss for us. We have come to a deal. I can get the boat for 45 and my trade in for my 2001 moomba outback will be 15. Now I just have to find the time to do it. I would still like to take the Supra out for a test run to make sure I like it. But with all the rain and it getting colder my time is running out. So I hope to have everything done in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. If I do end up with it I will post all the pics.

sidetracked3
11-01-2009, 08:13 PM
does anyone have pics or video of anyone wakeboarding behind one of these boats?