PDA

View Full Version : Sunsport vs. Launch

viking
11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
OK -
Can somebody tell me the difference between the Sunsport Series and the Launch Series. I've looked and looked and to me they seem like the same boat?
Thankx

sidetracked3
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I have been looking at the sunsport too and all I can find out is that they are the same hull design but the launch has a bigger ballast in the front than the sunsport does. and the sunsport does not have the playpin bow. Also the sunsport has the steps in the back on the platform. I am trying to finish up a deal on a 2008 sunsprt 22v but I am in trying to make sure I know what is what b/w these boats. I think the Sunsport is more family oriented and the launch is more for the wakeboarder. Correct me if I am wrong guys.

Fman
11-03-2009, 01:11 AM
You are correct, the Sunsport has 1200 pounds of stock ballast and the Launch has 1900 lbs. The Launch has 1100 pounds in the front and the sunsport only has 400 in the ski locker. Both rear bags are 400's in both the Launch and Sunsport. Adding more weight to the front of the Sunsport is much harder because of the walkthrough bow and no playpen seating. You can add the 750's to the rear (22V) and they fit fine which give you 1900 lbs. I am running 1900 in my Sunpsort 22V and it throws a great wake.

The Sunsport also has the stepdown extra large cooler and air pump. Hull designs are exactly the same.

tre
11-03-2009, 01:57 PM
They are the exact same boat. Only difference is playpen vs walk through and some things that are standard on the Launch are options on the Sunsport. Rear steps are standard on the Sunsport and optional on the launch.

thescott
11-03-2009, 02:37 PM
If we're talking 2008 22SSV versus 2008 Sunsport 22V, the 22SSV stock ballast is 1,450 lbs, not 1,900. There is a 650lb bag in the belly and twin 400's in the v drive lockers. The 24SSV on the other hand has 1,950 stock. 1,150 in the belly and twin 400's in the rear.

Sorry, I have nothing more of value to offer to your original inquiry. Just wanted to point that out.
Will say the 22SSV is a great boat. I just turned 200 hrs on mine and have only had a couple very minor warranty related issues which were corrected without hassle.

Good luck!

WadsworthSunsport22V
11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I think everyone has pretty much outlined what the Sunsport has and the SSV has in common and different. The stock ballast in my Sunsport is more than adequate for my family's recreational boarding needs. For us, it just came down to interior preference. We liked the rear entry steps and the walk through bow.

The cooler in the steps holds gallons and gallons of drinks, but ice melts quick because there is no insulation in the cooler. Also, although we loved the steps when we initially saw the boat on the showroom floor, I now wish we just had full wrap around sitting. The steps are rarely used. Perhaps if the rear locker (with the walk through platform) opened towards the engine compartment we would use the steps more. But then engine access would be a PIA.

Overall, we love the boat, I just want a 24 footer now.

Fman
11-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Ooops, my bad, I was thinking of the 24 SSV with 1900 lbs. not the 22 SSV. Scott is correct, the 22 Launch has 1450 lbs.

Sorry 'bout that.

I will throw another thumbs up for the 22V Sunsport, awesome boat, have not had too many problems with excessive ice melting in the cooler, if we pack it full of ice it will get us through the entire day in 100+ degree weather. And if you change to the 750 lb rear bags you will have a great wake for boarding and a nice surf wake as well.

viking
11-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks to all.........Makes some sense now. I thought they were pretty much the same boat and now I know!