PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first comp ski boat, couple questions.

sparlin
11-05-2009, 03:19 PM
So I just picked up a '86 comp ts6m, it says its a celebrity edition. Does any one no anything about that? It just turned 500 hours so pretty low, Im thinking about putting electronic ignition in it, and also taking the super traps off of it. Just curious what your thoughts on that were.

John

tomelenbaas
11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Looks like a beautiful boat - I'm sure you'll love it.

I don't know what the "Celebrity" edition was. My '88 Mariah is a "Classic" edition which was basically just a different color scheme. My guess is the Celebrity edition was the same thing.

I put an electronic ignition on mine about 5 years ago and have had no trouble whatsoever. The other thing you should really consider is adding Perfect Pass. It's particularly good for pulling at slower speeds (wakeboarding and wake surfing).

Enjoy the boat.

csuggs
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Nice lookin' boat - welcome to the forum! Electronic ignition is a good addition. Check out www.skidim.com and they will have the part, just make sure you know what type of distributor you have (probably Prestolite). Beyond that, I wouldn't do much to her until you have a chance to run her next season. You're gonna love it!

87SunSportMikeyD
11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
You can take the traps off but most people replace them with something else ie flappers. I personally use FreshAirExhaust.com which pretty much silences the boat. I have vids in my pride and joy thread with sound.

The hull is made with Kevlar and a patented lightweight fiberglass resin so 80s Supras are about 1000lbs lighter than most other direct drives of the same era.

Also with the big rudder they generally turn really snappy. Fun!

Make sure you dont have any cracks around the supra traps or your swim platform where water could seep in (happens once and a while to someone).

SHe is a beauty baby and you will have TONS of fun with her. Congrats!

jasonba1
11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
electronic ignition is the only way to go . Not sure about the super trapps I havea 92 and it has the flappers. YOu could call Viper and see what he says about changing them out and he could give you the best alternative. His number is 865-388-4096. By the way beautiful looking boat youll love it.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Well there is not really any diff between supratraps and flappers... they are really only there to keep back pressure (ie waves, current etc) from forcing water back up the exhaust. As far as I know they sound the same.

Only bad thing I have heard about the traps is that where they are bolted to the transom is a possible water entry point.

Basically the traps are rings stacked on top each other. They are all held together by one bolt. The single ring closest to the boat hull is screwed into the hull by 6 screws. You may wish to back a couple out and make sure they are in good wood. If not, try bigger/longer screws and some marine epoxy. This is not a PROBLEM spot per se, but it does happen once and a while to someone. Worth checking quick. :)

Flange removed
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3519/medium/WakeMikey-FAE6.jpg

FAE
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3519/medium/20090425_0554.JPG

87SunSportMikeyD
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
You should also find that the trailer you have freaking rocks. It hugs the boat low to the ground and it is not at all tippy like I/O roller trailers. Only issue is a curved incline can cause the prop guard to rub the ground. Not really bad, that's what it's there for, but can cause problems at a shoddy boat launch or driveway. If that happens to us we have a few 2x4s stuck into the trailer to put under the wheels.

jet
11-09-2009, 06:01 PM
See my pic's for what you need to do. LOL! Jet

Shrob
11-11-2009, 12:37 AM
On our 86 with the Ford 351, we put the Mallory unilite distributor on it so you never have to gap plugs, you can find them through Summit Racing online pretty cheap. Never did add an ignition box, may or may not help. Also put a Holley intake manifold on it, that helped at higher altitudes.

If the steering cable is in good shape, just enjoy it and dry it out so you don't have to worry about the stringers like I did. I would leave the traps on as I don't think they add much back pressure. We ran ours open for a while with no traps and when you started it the boat would move forward by the force of the water being pushed out the pipes.

#1 enjoy it, its a classic.

sparlin
11-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the tips! I am not 100% sattisfied with the swim platform. I can fell it move a little when I lean on it. Im half tempted to pull the fuel tank, and skil locker to access the wood on the inside of the transom, maybe reinforce it. Any thoughts on this? Also the drive line, I have not seen any that look like what I have, mine has a bellows that is hose clamped on to what appears to be a two part nylon piece that screws together and kept from turning with a cotter pin and then a stainless block that is clamped on just above the nylon nut. I dont have a picture of that yet on this computer will try to get one later. Any body have any experience with these?

87SunSportMikeyD
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Some people are able to remove their rear ski locker. This may let you access the platform without pulling the tank. Heres a pic that may help but this one does have the tank pulled too.

http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3490/skilocker1.JPG

mapleleaf
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
ha! yeah some people like SS owner's!, I don't think us comp owner's are so lucky, the platform, if it's vibrating can be shimmed in the J bracket's with plastic or replace the quick release pins with bolts.....
the only way to the transom mounts on the inside is by pulling the gas tank!!! It's not horrible, but definitely doesn't rank #1 on my project list........
Enjoy it, these boats really are soooo much fun to drive....

sparlin
11-12-2009, 11:39 PM
So what if the transom is soft, can it be reinforced? My swim platform does not have quick release, bolted directly to the transom and platform. Any thoughts on the shaft seal?

mapleleaf
11-13-2009, 08:03 AM
never seen a shaft seal like that one, somebody here should know, or I'd call Ski DIM, is it leaking???? If not I'd leave it. As for the transom you can definitely reinforce it, but might be easier to order new mounting brackets for the platform and install them with backing plates on the inside of the transom, if you do some searching around here you'll find some discussion on that repair......

mapleleaf
11-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Just looked at the pic of your transom, and I think you could pull that platform and from the inside reinforce it before bolting it back on....would definitley make it stronger.....You'll have to pull the gas tank though, I found you have to tip it a little to get the filler neck out from under the rope locker, the emptier the tank the easier this'll be......

87SunSportMikeyD
11-13-2009, 11:21 AM
That is a dripless seal I believe. That's what I have too. Just make sure the hose clamps are tight. You can research it to see how it is made/repaired.

sparlin
11-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Not sure if it is leaking as I havnt had it the water yet, the old owner said he didnt get water in the boat so who knows? The bellows is getting dry rotted from our heat out here, I was thinking of replacing that part, but I havnt seen any like that at any of the web sites.

Question, once I remove the fuel tank, (thanks for the tip on getting it out!) Does the ski locker drop down or is still bolted in some how?

mapleleaf
11-15-2009, 07:55 PM
ON mine the locker base is formed in, it's not the smallest area I've worked in, but you get the drift...... You'll have good acces to the transom as well as your rudder assembly, worth looking at if you take the tank out.
Pay close attention to the way the tank comes out, the hold down straps have a rubber spacer that you won't want to forget to put back, not saying that happened to me, well maybe.....my tank went in an out a couple times!!!

csuggs
11-15-2009, 10:23 PM
The shaft seal looks very similar to the one on my boat, only slightly different. Mine is a PSS shaft seal and works great. The original would have been a rope packing with a gland nut - so someone has replaced it somewhere along the way. I wouldn't touch it until you've had a chance to check it out in the water.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Here is the PSS at SkiDIM

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PY1HG10X17

sparlin
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the tips & link!