PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Sunsport fiberglass stringers and floor?

browser
11-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I am looking at a 1992 sunsport. According to the history that I can find on supra, they went to fiberglass in 1992. The current owner of the boat thinks that the floor is wood but that the stringers are fiberglass. I have not personally been able to look at the boat. Would it be possible that it came from the factory with a wooden floor and fiberglass stringers? Is there a way to find out with the HIN how it came from the factory? Thanks in advance.

Irish_Jack
11-08-2009, 11:20 PM
B.A.
The floor is "starboard". You don't have to worry about wood in that boat at all. I have had the carpet up in mine and it is all composite materials.:cool:

browser
11-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks Irish Jack!

87SunSportMikeyD
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
u lucky bahstids

jasonba1
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I talked to Jim at viper and he said some of the boats in 92 did have wood. They came out with a omplete line of boats that year that were bare minimal boats cant remember what he called them that had wood and the squared off windshields. Mine is a 92 comp that is all fiberglass with the curved windshield. I know that I didnt help you out a whole lot but give Jim a call he can probably tell you how to tell for sure without looking at it.

His number is 865-388-4096

browser
11-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks Jason! I will give Jim a call. I talked with Anthony from skiers choice today and he said that if it is a '92 model year it has composite floors and stringers. I am still concerned that it has a wood floor and stringers though because the owner is so insistent that it has a wood floor. (he does construction and I am sure he would know the difference). It also has the squared windows and not the rounded ones like Irish Jacks boat has. From the HIN it was build in Aug of 91 but is 1992 model year.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-12-2009, 03:45 PM
sounds like jason says if they have square windshield they are wood.

jasonba1
11-12-2009, 06:13 PM
dont complety quote me on that but it seems like Jim told me that a while back. To make sure I would give him a call and double check or I will be out there tomorrow and I will ask him and post what he says exactly

jasonba1
11-13-2009, 01:07 PM
I checked with Jim again today. In 92 if it has a squared windshield it is wood. During that year they made 3 barebones boats that were wood with square windshields one was the spirit(sunsport), esprit (conbrio), an d the other is the Impulse (comp).

Hope this helps guys so mainly look at your windshields I am one of the lucky ones with the rounded

browser
11-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks again Jason! That makes me a little uneasy about calling skiers choice for info and support if they are giving out false information. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
anothony just has general info, he usually has to contact an engineer or do research for tougher questions. Remember this is 13yrs ago. They are good to me with q's about my 87 lol!

Irish_Jack
11-21-2009, 08:34 PM
My curiosity led me to follow up on the wood mystery... I'm glad I did. That's weird that they made two lines of the same model... I guess I got lucky:D
I met a guy up in Three Lakes who stopped by me after a "spirited beat run" and asked me about my boat--what year, length, model, engine, etc... He had a 92 mariah and I didn't believe him at first because it was the 91' and prior body style. But sure s--t, there it was right in his HIN "92". That was two years ago and I've never heard of that since until now... I will never stop learning.;)

csuggs
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Jack - I think they sometimes do what they call "running production changes" that overlap model years. My Sunsport is an 86 that was built in August of 85 - and I have seen other 86 Sunsports with subtle changes. Also, in 86 the made a 86 Sunsport and a Sunsport Skier - very minor differences, but different none-the-less. Mine is the Sunsport Skier. Go figure . . .