PDA

View Full Version : Bow and Cockpit cover

Fman
11-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Does anyone have any regrets having the bow and cockpit snap on cover over the standard full cover? Difficult to use? Did you install yourself or have the dealer do it? got any pictures? pro's? con's?

I am considering having a bow and cockpit snap down cover installed on my boat this year. I would like to have a cover that will work when towing, and have the option to keep the front bow covered in the early spring/fall. Before I invested the money I wanted to find out how everyone who has this setup likes or dislikes it.

Thanks...

jonyb
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I've got the 2-piece cover that came standard on my boat. It's okay sometimes, but I'd like to also have a full 1-piece cover. When I'm at my camper, there are bugs, leaves, and small amounts of tree-sap that get on that cover and it drives me crazy. Plus, snapping it on all the way around is time consuming. I'd like to have a 1-piece cover that goes on and has the ratcheting strap below the rubrail. My Baja had one of those, plus the Sunbrella cover (actually, the dealer I bought the boat from sent me the shipping cover 1 year after I bought it and it was free) for the cockpit.

Over time, my snaps have gotten to where some don't like up, some are pulling through the fabric, and not to mention it leaks water into the boat around the tower legs.

jaywidhalm
11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
I do not currently have this set up either, however I had it on my I/O before I upgraded to my Sunsport. To be honest I used the 2 piece snap covers about twice, then used my one piece anyway. The snaps were a pain to deal with, when trailering they had a lot of pressure, and one or two started to try and pull through the fabric. The snaps that were installed on the boat were also inconvenient for waxing, detailing, etc.

To keep the wind out of the cockpit for spring and fall I had a wind screen made with snaps installed below the windshield that blocked the walkthrough area. This kept the wind out, but still allowed access to the bow in case someone still wanted to sit up there. I am thinking of having the same done for this boat.

Personally, I will not be getting snap covers for mine, just because I know I didn't like using them before. I thought I would like them for trailering, but I've never had anything blow out or get into the boat when going down the road anyway. Good Luck!! Let us know what you decide.

docdrs
11-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I have the weathermax cover and a bow snap cover. I have trailered it at 70 mph with the full cover on and store it with this on. It is quick and easy to put on and covers the entire top of the boat. Its lightweight and easy to store ..... the bow cover is a pain to put on but for cold days, nights, and although i have the 21v with a higher bow a must for 20 22 24 launches to minimize submarine water with inexperienced drivers........saw my buddies wife sink his 24 ssv nose deep one time coming around to pick him up from surfing...bet he was glad he had the bow cover on

I didn't want the cockpit because i dislike all those snaps jmo

Skylar18
11-09-2009, 01:11 PM
I have the snap covers and wouldn't have it any other way. It takes 5 minutes to get it snapped up with the wife, you can keep the bow cover on when it is cold or don't want to be in the bow, and my wife thinks it is easier to put on then a full cover that you have to winch shut.

Sluggo
11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I really like the snaps as well, but I have never had a boat with a good fitting full cover. From my experience it is quicker, assuming your poles don't get readjusted for you by the kids, to put on the two covers on with a very tight fit vs. all the adjusting that I usually have to do with a full. I am however going to pick up a full cover once I wet sand the little bit of oxidation I have and I am also getting a little tired of the minor mold issues from the snap cover allowing rain water in. I store it outside during the summer and drier and more protected I can keep it the better.

Anyone have experience in getting mold out of the underside of a Sunbrella fabric cover?

Dave
05 22 SSV

Fman
11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I have the full cover right now with the ratchet system to snug it up. I like this cover, but rarely use it seeing as my boat is always stored in a garage. I would like to have the option of keeping the bow covered early and late in the season. I might just get the bow cover to start and see how much I use it. From the sounds of it, I dont know how much I would really benefit with the full cockpit cover. I can see the advantages to being able to cover the bow when not needed to keep the wind from coming in the boat.

Does anyone here use the bow cover much on the water and does it help keep the cold air out of the cockpit area?

tg0824SSVGG
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Fman, I have both the 2-peice snap on that came with the boat, and a custom
"winter storage" cover.

I use the snap on all season long - I trailer with it on, I store the boat with it on,
I FOR SURE leave the front cover on on cold days and it makes a BIG difference.

I only use the full cover this time of year for winter storage.

I also had this same setup on the old boat for 8+ years ... wouldn't change
a thing, except maybe to have the WINTER cover also go over the tower ... there's an IDEA - like they do with the shrink wrap - man, I bet that would be $$$

Todd

jonyb
11-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I keep my bow cover on when it's clouding up for rain, and when it's cold.

I forgot to mention that with the 2 piece cover, I have to move 2 cushions for the poles. The front, because of the playpen seating, so I move that cushion to one side. The snaps on the very front come off because of the half-fast people that built the cover and mounted the snaps, so air blows in that way and lifts up the rear cover, knocking the poles over. The rear has a pole and I have to move the rear bench seat cusion to set that pole up.

tg0824SSVGG
11-10-2009, 12:33 AM
John,

I do hate the "pole" arrangment - not sure what to do different in a playpen, but I think
fman has a walkthru, so his front pole is on the floor.

I have switch (thanks to KO1) to using "fitballs" on the front under the cover ... don't have to move a cushion, but also can't just take down a pole out on the lake either.

Also use a MASSIVE fitball in the back for the rear-most pole which otherwise, requires me to remove the back seat, and place the pole in the center "plastic" cooler - bad design on that one.

Fman
11-10-2009, 02:38 AM
John,

I do hate the "pole" arrangment - not sure what to do different in a playpen, but I think
fman has a walkthru, so his front pole is on the floor.

I have switch (thanks to KO1) to using "fitballs" on the front under the cover ... don't have to move a cushion, but also can't just take down a pole out on the lake either.

Also use a MASSIVE fitball in the back for the rear-most pole which otherwise, requires me to remove the back seat, and place the pole in the center "plastic" cooler - bad design on that one.

Todd,

Do you notice any problems with the snaps on the deck of the boat? Do they ever get in the way of anything?

Also, does anyone know where to order one of the bow/cockpit snap covers other than the dealer? who makes them? and how difficult would it be to install yourself? I believe the dealer wants about $450 to install it.

Thanks for all the input....

jonyb
11-10-2009, 06:15 AM
What do you mean by "fitball" Todd? Are you talking about a swiss ball, like you'd use in a gym?

tg0824SSVGG
11-10-2009, 09:09 AM
John, Yes.

I bought the medium size one for the cockpit, then the biggest one for the back, and then I "overinflate" them a little. Keep in mind, I can't garage my boat, it has to stay outside - so the ball under the cover makes for a "rounder" shape where the pole would normally
make a sharp point. I will see if I can take a picture ... my problem, this time of year,
I leave for work in the dark, and get home after dark.

I really like this in the main part better than the "rear" pole. Where they put the snap requires me to take out the long rear seat - and the pole then has to be either on the edge of the seat, or in the plastic cooler - which cracked last winter becuase of the weight on the pole.

I have a small rubbermaid storage tub (small cooler would work too) in between
the rear facing seat and the rear seat (in the middle) that I set the ball on.

tg0824SSVGG
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Fman,

I have never had any problems with the snaps. Mine came with the snap-on cover
from the factory.

But - I had the snap-on cover for my old boat made at the local canvas-shop -
he custom made the cover and installed the snaps - and it was probably more
like $800. Putting the snaps in is a time consuming tedious task ...

87SunSportMikeyD
11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I would love to see a picture of that cover with the fitballs

tg0824SSVGG
11-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Let's see who can do it first - KO1 is the one that told me about this trick ...

87SunSportMikeyD
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a stick with a bucket on top, stacked on a box for the back. :) And a propped up bow cushin in the front. Needs improvement.

Fman
11-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Todd,

Does your front bow cover have a rubber liner built into the outer edge of the cover? I was at the dealership today picking up my boat and they had one with a rubber cover under the line to help seal better and the other just had the fabric. Skiers Choice did take care of all my warrant claims, new rudder, front bilge pump, installed locking stainless nuts/bolts on walk through platform, reglued some carpet in the ski lockers, and readjusted the windshield. So far, so good with SC....:)

I went to a local upholstry shop today on the way home with the boat and he will custom build me one for $250 installed. I thought that was a fair price, sunbrella fabric to match to the Z5 top. Dealer wants $315 installed.

tg0824SSVGG
11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
yes to the rubber

jonyb
11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Todd,

Does your front bow cover have a rubber liner built into the outer edge of the cover? I was at the dealership today picking up my boat and they had one with a rubber cover under the line to help seal better and the other just had the fabric. Skiers Choice did take care of all my warrant claims, new rudder, front bilge pump, installed locking stainless nuts/bolts on walk through platform, reglued some carpet in the ski lockers, and readjusted the windshield. So far, so good with SC....:)

Mine has the liner on the front only where air would be forced into it, but its worthless because the cover is so tight that those snaps won't stay snapped.

You're warranty issues are most of the problems I've fixed myself. I've had to re-glue my carpet several times around the gunwhales.

Fman
11-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Mine has the liner on the front only where air would be forced into it, but its worthless because the cover is so tight that those snaps won't stay snapped.

You're warranty issues are most of the problems I've fixed myself. I've had to re-glue my carpet several times around the gunwhales.

I could have done everything as well, but they were replacing the rudder and offered to repair all the other little items. It was just nice to know that they were willing to take care of them. So far I have been very pleased with warranty items being taken care of immediately on the boat. I am not a big fan of the carpet in the ski lockers, I would have been happy with just fiberglass. Less mold possibilities and easier to clean.

I will probably bypass the rubber lining, I cant see how the sunbrella material would cause any damage or scratches to the top deck of the boat. I dont think it would allow any significant amount of air to come through while on the lake. Seems like it would seal it up quite well.

jonyb
11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
The rubber is probably to keep air out while the boat is being towed with the cover on, not so much a concern on the lake at 25 mph.

viking
11-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Does anyone have any regrets having the bow and cockpit snap on cover over the standard full cover? Difficult to use? Did you install yourself or have the dealer do it? got any pictures? pro's? con's?

Thanks...

Fman,
I have the factory 2 peice snap cover (sunbrella) in black that came with my boat. It has the support poles and says right on the label "not for towing". It looks nice but worthless unless you are storing or just letting the boat sit.
I had a local shop make another 2 peice snap cover that I use exclusively. It is a tighter fit and no need for the support poles. I've had no problems going down the road at 80-85miles an hour and need to tow my boat to find water so alot of miles in tow. Also can use the bow cover in early spring if I want while on the water. It's alot more condusive than a one peice and since my boat is stored in garage I have no need for anything else. It has custom cutouts for the cleats so you can use it if ever left docked on the water but I don't ever intend to do that. Plus, most tow covers I found with any quality are $800 or more and I got my custom cover made for $650.
Just my .02!!

Fman
11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Fman,
I have the factory 2 peice snap cover (sunbrella) in black that came with my boat. It has the support poles and says right on the label "not for towing". It looks nice but worthless unless you are storing or just letting the boat sit.
I had a local shop make another 2 peice snap cover that I use exclusively. It is a tighter fit and no need for the support poles. I've had no problems going down the road at 80-85miles an hour and need to tow my boat to find water so alot of miles in tow. Also can use the bow cover in early spring if I want while on the water. It's alot more condusive than a one peice and since my boat is stored in garage I have no need for anything else. It has custom cutouts for the cleats so you can use it if ever left docked on the water but I don't ever intend to do that. Plus, most tow covers I found with any quality are $800 or more and I got my custom cover made for $650.
Just my .02!!

Viking,

Is there a reason you put the snaps on the side of the bow rather that on the top deck (near the grab rail). I see many of the bow covers have snaps installed on the side of the top deck rather than running all of them on the top deck? I just thought it would look a little more clean cut to have all the snaps on the top deck rather than the side. Do you think this would make a difference either way?

Thanks,
Travis

viking
11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Travis,
I used the Factory snaps from the Factory Cover. I only had to have the shop add 2 extra snaps for the mouring cover near the back of the windsheild above the tower mount. On the back they replaced the rubrail screws with snap studs so you can't even really notice. I wanted to minimize the amount of "new" snaps installed in the gelcoat and did it with ONLY 2 this way!!

I don't know why the OEM cover has the snaps for the bow cover located where they are. Looking at it now, I would be afraid of towing it down the interstate with the snaps on the deck. I would think that it would allow alot more air in that way and pull it right off. If you're looking to just cover it and not tow then I don't think it matters where you attach it.

tg0824SSVGG
11-16-2009, 07:56 PM
So - today (and over the weekend) I was actually home during the light (I have the flu) - but the boat
has 5-7 inches of SNOW on the cover, I will keep trying to get the pictures.

Fman
11-16-2009, 11:32 PM
So - today (and over the weekend) I was actually home during the light (I have the flu) - but the boat
has 5-7 inches of SNOW on the cover, I will keep trying to get the pictures.

Todd,

Sorry you have the flu.... hopefully not H1N1.... one my kids had it for about a week, what a drag!

5-7" of snow on the boat!?!?! How could you let that happen...your boat is too sweet to be left outside! She needs to be covered in a warm garage somewhere :)

tg0824SSVGG
11-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Fman,

It most likely is the pig flu - the doctors around here say, "we're not testing, if you have these symptoms ... you have it and don't come to my office, if you're in trouble, go to the hospital".

As for the heated garage - well, the plans for that got scutted with the pay cut at work ... at least it wasn't a 100% pay cut!

The boat is too tall to go into my unheated garage, even folded down, and my buddy with the barn I used to put my boat into doesn't own it any more.

I don't like it either, but I am also not going to pay for a storage shed, they
are nasty expensive this time of year (big enough to hold a 24 foot boat, anyway).
Todd

viking
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Fman,
did you ever figure out what your going to do for a cover?

Fman
12-12-2009, 03:57 PM
The bow cover is finished, I took it to a local uphosltry shop and he did a great job on it. Its black and made of Sunbrella, matches the Z5 top perfect, I will post some pictures in the near future. He said I should be able to tow with it with no problems.