PDA

View Full Version : Tip for 90's PCM engine owners

DKJBama92Mariah
06-18-2002, 02:10 PM
I just had to replace the alternator on my 92' Mariah. It has a PCM 5.8 Pro Boss. A replacement alternator was $200 at the dealer. I went to auto zone and one of the clerks went into the back and tried different alternators until he found one with the same mounting specs. It is spec'd to be used on a '69 chevrolet truck. Total Cost :$31 for the rebuilt lifetime warranty alternator and $6 for a wiring plug. If you decide to try this, e-mail me for wiring specs. Just thought I'd contribute my tightwad knowledge.

DKJ

RKG
06-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Is is shielded for use in a Marine enviroment? My understanding is that auto starters and alternators are not adequaltely shielded from sparks, which may cause a probelm with gas vapors in an enclosed compartment. I know it's one in a million, but I have bad luck anyway.

Salty87
06-20-2002, 12:57 PM
sorry, i have to echo RKG's thoughts. marine alternators are sealed to prevent arcing. i wouldn't get in a boat with an automobile alternator if i knew it had one.

i wouldn't skimp on the electrical system....you might go boom!

RKG
06-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Part of the reason I take this approach is that I learned the hard way. I bought a rebuilt carb froma shop in Florida. It comes in and does not look right, so I call the company. They tell me that they were out of true marine carbs, so they converted a auto carb into marine, J tubes, jetting allchanged. They tell me they do it all the time. So I trust them ( mistake). Well, it worked fine for a while, but when the secondary bowl got out of adjustment and started pushing too much fuel, the excess fuel run out onto my intake versus the J tube. Luckily nothing happened since I caught it, but never again will a nonmarine part touch my boat. I like taking my family anf friends out and do not want to put them in danger. What makes me mad is the day the fuel dumped, we had some friends with their 5 month child onboard. Needless to say, i was not happy.

dmgx
06-21-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi, the above posts are correct it is very dangerous to put non-marine/non-coastgaurd approved parts on your boat. There is a reason for the expense. The alternator is one of those parts that need to be approved.

Jay Warren
Marketing Manager

DKJBama92Mariah
06-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Thanks for setting me straight guys.

DKJ

barrey
05-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi, the above posts are correct it is very dangerous to put non-marine/non-coastguard approved parts on your boat. There is a reason for the expense. The alternator is one of those parts that need to be approved.

Jay Warren
Marketing Manager

Here's a really good reason to use ONLY marine/coastguard-approved parts in your boat:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196548/Fire_Supra.jpg

Your insurance likely won't cover it, either.
Use the right stuff.

- Barrey

barrey
05-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Here's another really good reason to use ONLY marine/coastguard-approved parts in your boat:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196548/Fire_Supra2.jpg

- Barrey

dndsam
06-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Good thread! What do you know about this boat and or incident? The money you "save" on a non-marine part could end up costing more in the long run and even maybe someones life!

Brian Raymond
06-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Barrey, hope all were all right, very good lesson. Those pix are the very reason why marine parts are more, listen and trust your dealer. I witnessed a beutiful, just refurbed '68 CorrectCraft explode when started, and blow 2 teenage girls out of the boat, they were shaken and not hurt (fortunately). The boat was all original except for the starter, when cranking it emmitted sparks into the bilge, and with the gas vapor.. the rest is history. Yes, marine replacement parts are expensive, I suggest always purchasing them from the dealer or manufacturer, do not listen to the auto guys, it is not the same. Brian Raymond

06-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks again for letting me know the err of my ways. You may have all saved my life as well as the lives of others. I ordered and installed a Mando alt last summer.

Later,
DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
06-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanks again for letting me know the err of my ways. You may have all saved my life as well as the lives of others. I ordered and installed a Mando alt last summer.

Later,
DKJ

Brian Raymond
06-28-2003, 10:42 PM
When purchasing aftermarket new or rebuild components, verify that they are SAEJ1171. This is the standard they must meet by the Coast Gaurd and NMMA.Brian Raymond

spyguys
09-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the information. I bought a 90 comp this past summer and it had a automotive starter on it that wasn't working properly. The previous owner told me about it and said you might want to consider a car battery to save yourself $100. No thanks. You can't put a cost on safety.

09-11-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm looking to pick up a good used Supra. I used to ski behind one very frequently in the early 90's.

Barrey's photos certainly get my attention. How do I tell if the boats I'm looking to buy have marine or automotive components?

From the posts in this thread, it seems I really need to pay attention to the Alternator, Starter, and Carb. Is there anything else?

byroman
09-11-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm looking to pick up a good used Supra. I used to ski behind one very frequently in the early 90's.

Barrey's photos certainly get my attention. How do I tell if the boats I'm looking to buy have marine or automotive components?

From the posts in this thread, it seems I really need to pay attention to the Alternator, Starter, and Carb. Is there anything else?

Brian Raymond
09-16-2003, 09:51 PM
If you are unfamiliar with the recognition of these parts, take the boat to a Supra/Moomba dealer, and have them go through everything. If a dealer is not nearby, take it to a well known and certified marina/dealer, and have them check it out, it is well worth it. Brian Raymond

brian91comp
09-17-2003, 01:58 PM
Discount Inboard Marine seems to have the best prices on inboard marine parts. My local dealer wanted to charge me $320 for a raw water pump. Discount Marines price was $175. Just my .02.

barrey
02-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Well, the new system won't allow me to edit my original post, so here's a recap of the reasons not to use any non-coastguard/marine-approved parts on your engine or boat.

http://www.geocities.com/barrey_jewall/fire_supra.html

-Barrey

Brian Raymond
02-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Barrey, a very educational insight on marine electronics. There are a lot of consumers that do not understand the differences. Please share this with other fellow members on the Moomba board. Thank you. Brian Raymond

barrey
03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Brian -

I don't post to the Moomba boards at this time, so feel free to post the URL to the page above over there.

I am keeping that page up for the forseeable future to warn people about the dangers of using automotive parts in marine applications.

-Barrey