PDA

View Full Version : 89 Saltare - Mufflers?

sybrmike
11-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I was getting a jump on Santa today - starting to make my list and check it twice (man, it's gonna be a loooong to-do list...). Looked inside the exhaust flappers with a flashlight and saw several rows of what looked like muffler baffles. Hope to start tearing her apart in a few weeks, but was wondering...

Anyone know if Supra put mufflers on the Saltare back in 89? Standard or an option? Any known issues or concerns with inboard mufflers? (my only direct inboard experience was with an old old ski nautique 20 years ago with straight pipes).

Also, besides Skidim and Viper, any other suppliers I should be aware of for general inboard or Supra specific parts?

Thanks.

Salty87
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
my 87 has straight pipes. there's no telling what was offered as an option or standard back then. from what i can tell, just about anything is possible. mine has supratraps too, not flappers. sunsports have mufflers, they also have a spot to access them under the gas tank.

the only issues i can think of is that there needs to be a good seal where the pipes exit the transom. otherwise, water can seep into the foam. there are a few threads on this if you search.

viper and skidim should have everything supra specific.

sybrmike
11-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks Salty.

I'll find out more for sure once the demo begins. When I test drove the boat, I was surprised how quiet the 454 was, well not quiet really, but not as loud as I anticipated. The bilge remained relatively dry over an hour or so of putting her thru the paces, so I don't think there are any major leakage issues. I was thinking of doing like I saw someone post (you?). Put her back in the water once she's opened up to get a good look for water ingress points.

Really no need to R&R exhaust flanges, rudder seal, shaft packing, etc. if they're not leaking, right? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).

Okie Boarder
11-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I have an '89 Sunsport and my mufflers are exactly as you described. Sounds like yours are the same as mine. If you look on my stringer and floor thread, you can see some pictures. The pipe slides into the fore side of the muffler and is clamped. The flapper flange piece slides into the aft side of the muffler and is clamped. They left the floor open under the gas tank to access them, like Salty said.

sybrmike
11-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Yep Okie,

From what little I can see on mine while still intact, looks like a similar setup. I've followed your threads (past lurker) - some bad luck for sure, but looks like she's gonna be better than new now.

I have the same limber holes where the inner stringers meets the transom, plus another one slightly forward, towards the front edge of the gas tank. Maybe due to the wider 45 gal gas tank in a Saltare? Feeling around in the holes, the stringers feel solid down there. Just keeping my fingers crossed for when I open her up in a few weeks.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I would remove the supratraps just to breifly inspect the area where the exhaust exits the transom. The supratraps are very simple to remove (one nut). Then just check to make sure the pipes are not leaking and that the screws holding the last ring baffle on the supratraps are securly screwed into the transom (dont tighten them more unless loose).