PDA

View Full Version : Rear ski locker on a Saltare

SuperSaltAir
11-11-2009, 06:22 PM
The original ski locker on my Saltare has basically fallen apart and after doing the stringers and floor in the boat I feel pretty confident in my ability to make a ski locker out of fiberglass. My question is would any of you guys be interested in a new fiberglass ski locker? The reason I ask this so I know if I should make the mold for single use or if should spend more time and $$$ and make it the right way im assuming cost to be about $65 $75 in material and about 8 hrs labor. This also might fit boats other than Saltare if any one want to give me the dimensions of there ski locker and what boat they have I would be happy to check and make sure they fit. I will have pics and dimensions posted in the next day or so. I also plan to make them strong enough to be able to put substantial weight for ballast.

sybrmike
11-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Count me in as "interested". I just brought home an 89 Salt & the rear locker looks pretty cracked up in the bottom corners. A PO did a piss poor job at a fiberglass repair. Handy with glass myself & thought about either redoing the repair correctly or starting from scratch. Have not checked with Viper to see if Jim has any available? If you're doing it "right" and can hold some weight - I'd definitely be interested (I have plenty of other items to focus on in my project).

Saw your youtube clip awhile back - wish I had room & equipment (and time) to split mine. Any updates on your repairs?

SuperSaltAir
11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
The floor is done I did away with the carpet and Im planning to do non skid roll on gel coat when im done laying out the new interior. We had the boat our on the water and it ran really good. Im going to leave the front stock and im just going to do a removable bench seat in the back at least for now. Planning on two 750 lbs sacks in the back and the big triangle for the front, and two just in case 450’s on each side of the engine.

As far as the ski locker I hate my life right now that stuff sucks ass and I bet my neighbors are not very thrilled of the resin smell. But I was able to put back together what I had left of the broken pieces of the old locker and make something that resembles a new one waxed it and layer up the plug and tomorrow we will see what comes out I can tell you right now it is not going to be supper smooth unless I spend a lot of time filling and prepping the plug. So far I have 65 in resin alone to do the plug I don’t know how much matt I used up and brushes and rollers and gloves and gel coat and its adding up fast. I think im pushing 100 so far hopefully I can stream line the process and figure out how to use less material and get a stronger product I might look in to vacuum bagging it also. But at least im doing it right and hopefully I can help some of you guys when im done with it all.

cowwboy4
11-12-2009, 09:24 AM
I have a minty compartment out of my pirata that I would donate for shipping charges. I pulled mine so I could put v-drive sack directly on top of the fuel tank.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I went with the 350lb locker sac which is a little longer and not so large around (thats what she said). My ski locker is super strong - it has held that sac for two years now, no problems. But if you can get the locker out and put a sac right on the gas tank (try and support it so it doesn't put all the weight right on the gas tank) the v-drive sac is 400lbs so little heavier.

Has anyone had any luck plumbing the rear ski locker sac together with the rear bench seat sac on the same pump? My top bag wants to drain/syphon/gravity fill into the bottom sac. Very annoying, would make me use a seperate pump just for that sac.