PDA

View Full Version : Alternator question

wazzy
11-13-2009, 04:54 PM
OK I got a question.

We have an '88 TS6M Comp and have been having issues with it not wanting to start, even after running for a while. We have replaced the starter (few seasons ago) and battery (last season). Had a guy look at it early in the season and he said everything was fine. Then throughout the season it started acting up again.

I heard through the grapevine that the older Supras have a different style alternator (it only charges above 3,000 rpms) as apposed to one that can charge below 3,000 rpm. Does this sound correct to anyone? Has anyone else experienced this?

87SunSportMikeyD
11-13-2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Alternators/Marine/?sck=6745929

Highly recommended, call them and they are very knowledgeable. Haven't heard the 3000rpm tip though.

Salty87
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
i've never heard that before either.

have you checked your battery cables and connections?...don't forget the stud on the engine block where the ground connects. the cables degrade and lose conductivity over the years. you can move your battery next to the starter and get some short cables to see if that helps.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
what kind of symptoms are you getting? If it is clicking when you turn the key but wont turn over you probably need a new key/ignition switch which is super simple. Have you tried bridging the contacts at the motor to jump it that way?

wazzy
11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
87Sun - I will give that place a call & see what they say
No it doesn't really tick when trying to start it... I just turns over SUPER hard and sometimes wont even do that (but it's not ever consistant)

Salty - I have replaced the battery ends of the cables, but have not looked at the cables or the connection to the motor itself. When I get down to where it is stored I will check that out.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Try to bend or flex the cables with your hands. If you hear lots of crackling noise that is a sign they are no good. Or strip a little shielding off to get a peek. Solder your ends on the cables and tighten the wingnuts real good with a wrench.

michael hunter
11-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Wazzy

The reason the the DC generators were replaced by alternators back in the 60s was the generators need to have high RPS to charge. Alternators will charge at 400 RPMs.
If you are experiencing heart attack start that is the engine will try to spin but will abruptly stop and try to spin again. Start with the battery make sure it tests out good. Next check the battery cables. A good way to rule them out is to use a set of jumper cables. When the problem occurs start by connecting the ground side of the batt to a good engine block ground with a good set of jumper cables. If this solves the problem replace the ground cable. If not do the same thing with the pos to the hot term of the relay. If this fixes it replace the pos cable.if not try moving the pos jumper the the starter hot term. If this doesn't work test the starter.
Note if any of the cables are bad do yourself a favor and replace both.

rustey
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I would clean or replace the battery terminals and then check the wires on the starter, sounds like there is corrosion somewhere.