PDA

View Full Version : 86 sunsport stringers - I tore the floor up [pics]

dshaff24
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Well This weekend my lil Nieghbor came down and Wanted to work on a project so Last weekend project was to tear the floor up and take a look to see what the stringers look like!
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/377964559.jpg

We pretty much had the floor and the foam tore out in about 4 hours to find that on the 2 side stringers was in pretty good shape, Except for in the middle of the boat it seems like they left the center of the stringer not coverd with any resin or fiberglass! SSOOO that section was rotted pretty bad! http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/377964564.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/377964567.jpg

Im not really sure what My plans are as of right now, But I know I will be separating the boats hull to put the floor in so Im most likely just pulling the motor out to see what the stringers are like where the motor mounts! Im actaully just taking this day by day!

Any recommendations on how to seperate the hull?

From what I gather Ill be unhooking all the guages and steering wheel cable etc etc, Removing the rub rail and I guess see if theres anything else! The interior thats mounted to the floor is all ready unbolted!

87SunSportMikeyD
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
There is a limit to how many jawdrop-smilies I can use in a post or else I would use like a million! Nice!!!!! Incredible..

:shock:

Okie Boarder
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Look at my thread and you'll see how I pulled my top cap. Salty's thread shows another method. You're going to want to pull out is much interior as you can, disconnect the wiring, throttle and steering up at or near the helm, along with the connections in the back that go to vents and wiring.

sybrmike
11-16-2009, 09:19 PM
With help like that, I'm sure it won't take long to get her back in shape. I havn't had the time yet (or is it lack of guts) to find out what lurks below my floor yet, but hope to start pulling it up in a few weeks. Okie & Salty have some really detailed and inspirational threads for what lies ahead. Best of luck on your project.

dshaff24
11-17-2009, 02:38 AM
:!:
There is a limit to how many jawdrop-smilies I can use in a post or else I would use like a million! Nice!!!!! Incredible..

:shock::!:

yeah I really wasn't to impressed with the plywood stringers for strenth and support!! We still have to shop vac the rest of the lil junk out!!

So far it took 8 garbage cans of that foam to the dumpster at work and a lot of nasty wood!! My floor only had 2 small soft spots and as i tore it up I couldn t believe that it was this nasty and wet!! the whole plywood floor was soaked but you could never tell from the top side

Okie Boarder
11-17-2009, 12:29 PM
I got a final count on foam the other day....22 of the big trash bags full of foam for the entire boat. Lots of foam under there. It's interesting to see how they put these boats together and the methods they used. Lots of areas for improvement.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Dshaff said: "My floor only had 2 small soft spots and as i tore it up I couldn t believe that it was this nasty and wet!! the whole plywood floor was soaked but you could never tell from the top side"

Dohhhhhhhhhhhh this is what i worry about, that sucks!

jet
11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Mikey, did you redo your floor? I don't remember that? Jet

87SunSportMikeyD
11-18-2009, 02:44 PM
No but I try to stay up on the topic for when I DO need to repair mine. As far as I know all engine mounts are tight and I have not found any compromised stringers yet. But I do have three small (silver dollar size) soft spots all on my passenger side along the engine box. I just hope it's not a science experiment under there!!!!!!

SuperSaltAir
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
If your going to separate the hull I would strongly suggest using a crane in phx az I pay my crane guy 85$ to do a lift for me. Im sure its about the same where you are from you can open up the yellow pages and look up a crane service. Imo I think its a lot safer and a bit cheaper than having to get beer for 6 buddy’s and building some crazy contraption to lift it up.

dshaff24
11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
If your going to separate the hull I would strongly suggest using a crane in phx az I pay my crane guy 85$ to do a lift for me. Im sure its about the same where you are from you can open up the yellow pages and look up a crane service. Imo I think its a lot safer and a bit cheaper than having to get beer for 6 buddy’s and building some crazy contraption to lift it up.

Don't sound like a bad Idea but what would you do with the top half of the hull? Bring another truck and trailer?

my father in law has a machine that will be able to lift the top half of the boat off and set it on a trailer

SuperSaltAir
11-19-2009, 12:09 AM
I guess a flat bed can work I just set it in the middle of my back yard, you can say after a month or two when you loose interest on the project getting the stupid top half out of the middle of your yard becomes enough motivation to keep going

87SunSportMikeyD
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM
hahaha awesome post

dshaff24
11-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Well today I Removed the rub rail and drilled out the rivets~ One of these days ill get time to take it to the the father in laws and remove the top, I was looking under the dash at the wiring and it seems that only half the wiring unplugs, I looked around to find more plugs with out any luck! Anyway I took pics to show the rub rail mounting points and then what the top and bottom mounting looks like with rivets as a reference, Honestly I have yet to think this job is hard

dshaff24
11-22-2009, 03:49 AM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/378318490.jpg

fyi Here is a pic of the rub rail mounting points and the rivets that hold the hull together

Okie Boarder
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
There should be one or two wire harness plugs under the dash and that's it. In addition, you'll want to disconnect the steering cable and the throttle cable. You might look in the back near the blowers and all that. I had a few things that were connected to the top hull back there. Other than that, it is ready to be lifted off. None of this is really that "hard", just tedious and time consuming. Lifting the top cap is a little emotionally draining, especially when the thoughts cross your mind about it possibly dropping.

dshaff24
11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
So When you lift the top section off did you cut the silicon bead around where the 2 sections meet or does it just separate in the lifting process, Im probally going to run a razor around it b4 but I just figured Id ask to see what others done!

Okie Boarder
11-23-2009, 11:29 AM
The silicon on mine was below the rub rail, which was below the seam of the two hulls, so I didn't need to remove it to lift the top hull.

tomelenbaas
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Your photos intrigue me. It looks as if the engine has been removed from the mounts and is just setting on the floor of the bilge. Is it supported by anything?

I may have to do some stringer repair this winter, but I have a "two story" trailer with a PWC deck mounted over the boat. Because of clearance problems, it's impossible for me to remove the engine while the boat is on the trailer.

dshaff24
11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Your photos intrigue me. It looks as if the engine has been removed from the mounts and is just setting on the floor of the bilge. Is it supported by anything?

The motor is actaully still mounted! I never even botherd with it yet! As far as lifting your motor out with a jet ski rack on your trailer Id almost have to see a pic of your set up,

tomelenbaas
11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm still hoping that I won't have to do a complete stringer replacement. I was going to check it out last weekend but ran out of time.

Anyway - here's a pic of my "two-story" trailer. (The kayaks are not a normal part of the rig.) There isn't enough clearance to remove the engine using a conventional hoist. But, I think there's a work-around. The floor of the PWC deck is plywood which can be easily removed. I can then use the PWC hoists to lift the engine and chain it suspended to the frame of the PWC deck. I'm just hoping none of this proves necessary.

http://elenbaaslaw.com/images/Boat%20Trailer.jpg

Okie Boarder
11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
How much weight can the PWC hoists lift?

tomelenbaas
11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
The larger PWC weighs in at about 1,000 lbs.

Salty87
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
that's quite a rig...have we seen pics of your boat yet? the stripe color looks different in that pic from any others i've seen.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Holy cow where is the googly-eyed smiley face????

csuggs
11-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow - that's something I haven't seen yet - pretty cool set-up! Did you have to put heavier axles on that trailer?

Okie Boarder
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I used to see that type of rig a lot when I lived in So Cal. So many people out there travel to Havasu, Parker or somewhere else along the Colorado River for the weekend since it is such nice water. Many are traveling 3-5 hours one way and desire having a boat and PWC's with them. That type of rig let's you bring a boat plus PWC's.

That hoist will have no trouble lifting out the motor. You might see if you can build a cradle for the motor where one of the PWC's sits and you can set the motor up there. The other option is just to lift it up out of there and swing it around to lower it to the ground and set it on some sort of pallet or cradle like most people do. You're probably going to want some head room to walk around and work and getting as much off the top as you can is going to help. If you need to remove your top cap you're going to need to take the upper section off your trailer or get the boat onto something else that has nothing above it.

tomelenbaas
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
There was a guy in SoCal that designed this rig. He hasn't been around for some time now, but you still see a few of his trailers on the road. The trailer was already a tandem axel but I did increase the size of the axel tubes for added strength.

As far as lifting the engine goes, there's a cross-member right in the middle of the PWC deck which will make it difficult to do anything more than raise it and suspend it from the upper deck frame.

The boat is an '88 Mariah Classic - which used a different color scheme. Teal and hot pink (soooo 80's). I don't have any really good pics of the boat - my camera and I are usually on the inside looking out - but here's a couple that show the colors, etc. The fold-down tower was a custom job I had done around 2001. I needed something that would fold completely flat but could hold wake board and Air Chair racks. This was before the recent proliferation of tower designs that are collapsible. It's functional if not pretty.

http://elenbaaslaw.com/images/Boat1.jpg
http://elenbaaslaw.com/images/Boat2.jpg

Okie Boarder
11-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Nice...looks like it works well for you. Where are you located? Some of the background looks very west coast.

tomelenbaas
11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm in SoCal - Orange County area. The pictures are taken at Clear Lake, northwest of Sacramento. It's an annual trip we've been making for 20+ years.

Salty87
11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
that's awesome

87sunsport454
11-25-2009, 04:09 PM
How much do these boats weigh and how much weight can that trailer hold compared to a stock trailer?

ngavchris
11-26-2009, 07:40 AM
I have never seen anything like that before. That is a great toy hauler and I am sure is a real eye catcher. How much clearance does that rig take? Boat looks really nice also. I like the extra accent stripe.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-29-2009, 01:47 PM
87 SunSport should weigh 2225lbs dry according to NADA. Trailer is maybe...500lb?? If you have water in your foam it could weight several hundred pounds more. Weigh it on a truck scale :)

dshaff24
12-01-2009, 01:11 PM
This thread has officially been Taking over!!!

csuggs
12-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Good thinkin dshaff - let's get back on track. So how's your progress coming?

dshaff24
12-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Good thinkin dshaff - let's get back on track. So how's your progress coming?
Well so far I basically have all the wiring, steering cables, shift cables etc etc disconnected ready to take the top half of the hull in two pieces, My little neighbor kid and I lifted the back of it by our selves about 2 feet in the air just to see what kind of weight we was going to be dealing with and it wasn't to bad

To be honest with you Im pretty sure that I could get my buddys and nieghbors over and lift this top half off with out a problem, The only part that would suck is getting the inside where it screws into the floor over the outside hull while its on the trailer!

Im basically just looking at all my options as I go, Now once I get this top half off would it be safe to set it in my driveway and prop the front and rear with some type of support?

csuggs
12-02-2009, 07:40 AM
The only thing I know is what I have seen on here. I think all of them have had some sort of arrangement to let the top half "hang" while work is being done on the bottom half. But I don't see why you couldn't let is rest on the ground as long as it's supported well in its original shape.

Okie Boarder
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
dshaff,

I'd just make sure you support the whole thing and do it under the gunwales or something. The sides are pretty flimsy.

The back end of the top cap is pretty light. I was able to lift it myself pretty easily. The front end is a whole other story. I had one time where I was holding one side of it with the rope and pulley because the other guys let the board loose a little and it almost pulled me enough where I could feel me arms stretching and my whole body getting light. That was pretty sketchy. Be prepared for the weight of that section and have 4-5 guys there.

If you look at Salty and jason's set ups (You can see both on my thread), they were much more simple than mine. Basically you just need some sort of A-frame to lift from so you can get it up in the air enough to pull the trailer out from under it, and be able to support it while you bring it back to the ground. I guess it is possible that people could just hold it up, but you'd be struggling with a lot of weight then quickly trying to figure out how to lower it and put it on some sort of support while holding the weight.

dshaff24
12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
dshaff,

I'd just make sure you support the whole thing and do it under the gunwales or something. The sides are pretty flimsy.

The back end of the top cap is pretty light. I was able to lift it myself pretty easily. The front end is a whole other story. I had one time where I was holding one side of it with the rope and pulley because the other guys let the board loose a little and it almost pulled me enough where I could feel me arms stretching and my whole body getting light. That was pretty sketchy. Be prepared for the weight of that section and have 4-5 guys there.

If you look at Salty and jason's set ups (You can see both on my thread), they were much more simple than mine. Basically you just need some sort of A-frame to lift from so you can get it up in the air enough to pull the trailer out from under it, and be able to support it while you bring it back to the ground. I guess it is possible that people could just hold it up, but you'd be struggling with a lot of weight then quickly trying to figure out how to lower it and put it on some sort of support while holding the weight.

I appreciate the input! Ive been looking at everyones set ups on here for pulling and supporting the top half off and definitly Been contemplating which method Im going to go with! To be honest I doubt Ill lift it off with just man power just because I don't want to end up cracking any of the fiberglass or gelcoat, But I do feel that its def possible with ease with about 8-10 people!

Okie Boarder
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
One thing to consider that both Salty and I did and I think jason/jester did. Stack 2-3 2x4's at the bow end and 1-2 2x4's at the stern end and tie them to the cleats reall good. That right there seems to balance the load and keep the whole top cap from tweaking and causing cracking issues.

It would work well whether you use a structure or manpower to do it that way.

dbennett
12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
I have done about 80-90 Supra floor and stringers.This is how I set the deck off the hull.I hook 2 chainfalls to the rear of the boat where the back seat is,One on each side.I take a strap and hook to the brace that is under the bow cushions and I pick it up with my forktruck.Then I pick up the deck using only these 3 points and I roll the hull from under the deck and I set the hull in my parking lot and prop the nose up.So far I haven't cracked any(knock on wood).Good luck,Donnie

87 Supra Comp TS6m
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I have an 87 Supra Comp TS6M and am starting to gut it similiar to you. I hope to avoid stringer replacement as so far I have a couple soft spots in floor but engine/mounts seem fine. I'm currently debating spot floor fixes, and/or adding a layer of wood/glass on top of original floor, or complete floor replacement. I'd like to avoid pulling the boat cap off but may need to.

So any updates and/or lesson's learned with yours that may help me out?

sybrmike
03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Yea, see my recent update - don't go looking if you're not prepared... Mine seemed relatively solid with a second layer of resin coated ply over the original, good & tight motor mount bolts, & no obvious signs of disaster. Ran fine on the water with no obvious flex. However, you can see it was all a lie...

You can get by with patches and partial fixes for awhile, but you may have no warning before something finally lets go.

Dshaff,
What's the latest? I found pulling the windshield (it needed off anyway to refinish the frame) really lightens the load up front.

sybrmike
03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Oops my bad - sorry, I forgot you had reposted with subbing out the stringer job (looks like where I'm headed as well). Continued good luck.

dshaff24
03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Oops my bad - sorry, I forgot you had reposted with subbing out the stringer job (looks like where I'm headed as well). Continued good luck.

Ive decided just to do the full build in the pride in joy section, This boat will be sweet when done, Sometimes I wonder if Im dumping to much money into it but I know when its done it will be a great looking/performing boat with out a Payment!
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4964

csuggs
03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Ive decided just to do the full build in the pride in joy section, This boat will be sweet when done, Sometimes I wonder if Im dumping to much money into it but I know when its done it will be a great looking/performing boat with out a Payment!
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4964

Amen to that brother - we're in the same boat NPI!