PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline from Craigslist????

87SunSportMikeyD
11-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Has anyone gotten a trampoline from craigslist locally to get some invert/offseason fun practice in? I would really realllly love to do this now that I have my own house and yard hooray!

So I'm looking for one with a safety net, as wide as possible. Right?

How in the heck do I get this baby home?? Take it alllll apart and put in the back of truck/suburban? Or partially dissassemble and put in a trailer? Any tricks there?

Here's a couple I am looking at to make the thread interesting.

$50 - 12' w' net
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/spo/1467682213.html
http://images.craigslist.org/3na3m53la5O25Qa5S99bfe57b4d2134c3142b.jpg

Trampoline large 15' heavy duty frame/springs - $200 (Eagan, MN)
Large, 15 foot, round, heavy duty tramp originally purchased at All American Recreation for more than $1,000. This is NOT one of those cheap Sam's Club type tramps.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/1462512878.html

JumpKing Trampoline - $100 (Savage, MN)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/1465887200.html

This one looks good!
$$ air trampoline - $200 (burnsville)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/1456577087.html
http://images.craigslist.org/3md3p13o35Oc5Qb5R79b8e6ce95e249ea1aee.jpg

tg0824SSVGG
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I think you have to take it apart. Start with the netting, then take a couple springs off, then skip about 5, take a few more off - keep going around and around taking a few off all the way around - till you're down to just a few.

THe frame comes apart pretty easy once the mat it out. You will put the mat back
in the same way - , but start with a few on one side, then go 1/4 way around, (make sure you're lining up the brackets tho) - and then another quarter, etc. THen fill in a few at a atime all the way around.

Check the mat for wear or large tears .. you my have small ones ..

KO1
11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Mikey, Todd's advice is perfect for getting it apart. It should break down to really small pieces that will fit easily into the bed of a truck.

I have one that I get on still and do inverts maybe 3-4 times a week. No better way to stay in shape for snow boarding or wake boarding. I ride the hydrofoil mostly now but I still use the trampoline. Kind of hard to practice hydrofoil inverts with it but none the less still a lot of fun. Enjoy!!!

chautauquasun
11-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Mikey

I bought one new from Sams club a few years ago before we moved for the kids and I. Comes apart...very simple to put back together. One thing to consider though and why you may want to buy a new one...the springs stretch over time and if you have some weight you can actually hit the ground. I weigh about 200 lbs and at times as it got older and I did some sit outs...my A$$ would actually hit the ground...(no comments from the peanut gallery please). When we first got it new that didnt happen. It was still great for the kids but a few hard hits and you start to take things a little easier.

You can get them new pretty cheap at Sams Club.

tg0824SSVGG
11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Sun,

I have bought new springs online for pretty reasonable ... I never bought an entire
set, but they were not too expensive.

If you wnat, I could try to find the site.

Todd

jet
11-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Hey Mikey, I have one and we bought it off craigslist took it apart and reassembled once home. It takes about 1-hr. I tied a old ski handle to one of the uprights and i do inverts all the time now, Its more exercise than you think. Once I fell on the handle while it was sticking straight up and boy i was hurting after that one. Ha ha..Get one! Jet

Okie Boarder
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
We looked on CL and never really found what we wanted. We ended up buying new. It was pretty simple to put together and wouldn't be that hard to take apart and then reassemble. If you have a big enough trailer and don't need to go very far, I guess it's possible to haul it whole. Otherwise, just plan on having a couple people there and about an hour to take it apart before hauling away.

They are a lot of fun. We bought ours mostly for the kids, but my wife and I go out there and jump also. We also tied a handle off to one of the uprights on the net area. I haven't done an invert yet, but my oldest does. He can emulate a backroll without too much trouble. I've had fun playing with handle passes.

Chachi
11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Mikey,

I think you can get a nice one at Sams like sun was saying and I believe they are around $200 new. Also check the sports stores, Dick's, Sports Authority as well I think they are the same price. Honestly, I would by new cause the springs do stretch over time but buying new you won't have that problem. Although putting a new one together is a pain in the butt when you get to those last couple of springs. Also, if you wanna practice with your snowboard make sure you duct tape the edges so you don't tear the trampoline.... FYI. Good luck dude hope you can find one at a reasonable price!

Chris

87SunSportMikeyD
11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
If I get one without the safety net, can I add a net????? Thinking no.

Also what sizes do you guys have??? I can get 13' or 14' no problem - is that big enough or should I get the 15'? I think I can get 14' with the net so I will prolly do that.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry guys used is the only option for me really but I am looking for one that is used very little or springs in good condition. I'm pretty sure I would need to put it together. I was hoping there might be a way to disassemble it only partially so it would fit in a truck bed. Like maybe leave some poles still bolted together.

This is a 14' with net used very little, stored in a pole barn. 30 mins away from me, $100.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/1468344858.html

Yeah I wasn't planning on using a snow or wakeboard. I would use a skateboard desk with shoes duct screwed to it and duct tape padding on the tip and tail. Eventually would consider a tramp board like the Guru. I do have old handles so will tie one up.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Update: still looking. I had someone tell me the safety nets are no good for flips. Can anyone concur?????? Kinda important I guess. I would prefer the net...

I found a 15' for cheap! It's in the original box so I am hoping it has been used rarely.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tag/1476600183.html
15 foot trampoline banzoogi jump king

Sluggo
11-23-2009, 09:55 AM
If you have the yard to do this I highly recommend the setup one of my daughters friends have. They dug a huge hole a little deeper than the trapoline, then backfilled a little with sand and gravel, then put the trapoline in the hole. Not sure how they formed the sides of the hole or if they put anything on the sides to prevent erosion, but it is completely level with the ground and they have protective mats over the springs. Not sure if that is standard issue on trapolines now or if they added those.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Sluggo thanks for the idea and I will certainly look into it. I do have to room, but not sure if the boss will allow it... anyone else have opinions on safety net?

sybrmike
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
If you're looking for safety - check out the line from Spring Free. A few Xmas's ago, we wanted to get one for the girls, but were really concerned with safety - we all had our injuries growing up with the traditional style & heard all the other horror stories. We got one of these from Costco & couldn't be happier.

http://www.springfreetrampoline.com.au/

Not the least expensive option - but no one's missed the pads & gone through the springs, hit a support pole, etc. Lot's of bounce.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah I just saw that one on another thread. Another idea, but I have got to get in on a shoestring budget. :) I can put extra padding on the springs if I need. I have had friends with trampolines with I was a kid and I never had trouble with the springs.

I searched WW and found a good thread with lots of firsthand accounts. Most people say the round shape is fine and the net is fine. 15' seems to be a great size. If it is in good condition I will snap it up. It looks like it is in the original box so hopefully that will fit in the back of my Jeep Cherokee and I wont even need to disassemble it in someones back yard!

Here is the thread:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/91426.html

I am getting concerned about insurance? Heard you are supossed to have your yard fenced in?? Doh %^#%^#%^#$

mapleleaf
11-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Ok Mikey, here's the deal... We used to do this back in my snowboarding hay dayzzzz. Ditch the net after you're comfortable doing back and front rolls without a rope. Then tie an old ski rope to a tree 20' or so from the tramp. Having the rope a little distance from the tramp gives you a way better simulation of being behind something like say a boat or in our case Big Momma booters that were tow in by sled..........Kinda foggy trying to remember my time in Whistler.....

Pdowling1
11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Insurance can be an issue. When I was looking for coverage for my house, my agent asked if I had a trampoline. I said no, why do you ask? "Because if you did I couldn't insure you!" Just sayin'....

87SunSportMikeyD
11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Maple - I have tied off to a tree on a tramp before but am anxious to really practice those rolls and hopefully with a tramp board too. As for the net... we'll see. I am looking at the bigger tramps so hopefully the net will not interfere. My WW research has indicated it should be good to go.

Yeah I am concerned about the ins issue. Basically no one covers them. At all. If you have one they dont know about, and an accident occurs, in MN they are forced by law to cover you. But then they will drop you after that. But I am not planning on making any claims (unless they are very major). Ins often does a drive-by within the first 60 days you are at your new house. If they happen to find it on a drive-by, they are required in MN to give you two written warnings before they can pull your insurance. If this happens I will sell it.

I was also trying to put this in a less-conspicuous spot in my back yard and I am also planning an 8' privacy fence for next spring which should help. My yard is fairly private so I am hopeful.

I mean... If NO ONE covers them... how come I see them freaking EVERYWHERE!!!! I know several people who have had them for 5-10 years in places where they are visable from a busy road. What gives??

I have had ZERO luck getting craigslist losers to email me back WTF! I want that tramp dangit!

ngavchris
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Mikey,
I have had a trampoline for the kids for about 7 years. Knock on wood --- zero injuries with three and all of their friends. We bought the kind with the sides. These are not the type that are nets that you add to the existing trampoline . The sides and the bottom are all one piece, and the sides are the same material as the bottom. This way no one can get a hand or finger stuck in the net. Probally cost a few bucks more but works great. As far as insurance: my agent has been out annually for our reviews and current pictures and I have never had any mention of the trampoline at all. Actually the were more interested in my Chocolate Lab. One company dropped me because of the dog? Trampoline no problem.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Wait a minute - annual review and pictures?? Holy cow I did not know this happened! Does everyone else get this too? Could be tough to hide in that case...

mapleleaf
12-01-2009, 01:01 AM
just another thought....snow's coming......spend the money out riding????? tramp in the spring......you could also spend the money reno'ing the bathroom for someone!!! LOL

87SunSportMikeyD
12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Well yeah that is true, but I have always wanted one. I can spare $100. :) Appreciate the thought, getting excited for snowboarding! Thinking of a new reverse camber board. My board is getting pretty old.

snibbornairb
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
We have a 15' with a net. The net has saved us numerous times. My three kids spend at least an hour a day on the thing. Most used Christmas gift ever. I tied a rope to a tree as well. Didn't care for that too much. Without the constant tension on the rope the sensation just didn't feel right. Free jumping, however, does really help with your aerial awareness. Now if I can just nut up and do the things on the water that i can do on the tramp.

mapleleaf
12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
yeah I hear ya with the ancient board, I'm riding a late 90's Lamar Wes Makepeace that was given to me by him, it's a 165 and hard as a rock, great for high speed roller's, a little tough in the pipe........it's new board time fo sure.....or is it tower money I dunno.....

87SunSportMikeyD
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Mine is a 2000 K2 Zepplin 150. I still love it, but it is very dated lol. Plus the new reverse camber boards are looking pretty neato to me, but haven't gotten to try one yet.

Now there are not any good cheap tramps up on craigslist grrrrrr