PDA

View Full Version : 85 ts6m drive shaft question??

mrward77
03-21-2004, 02:01 PM
ok, took the boat out yesterday, hit a stump and it pulled the drive shaft out of the back of the transmission. can someone please help me out with what i need to get it lined back up, and what pieces hold it in. also we started taking on water when it pulled out so how do i fix that?

thanks!
[email protected]

fasterbass
03-28-2004, 01:48 AM
First you need to check for a bent driveshaft and prop. If they are bent, try a local machine shop for a new stainless shaft. A guy in my neighborhood makes them for $125. If the shaft is okay and reinstalled, there are two kind of couplings normally. Some the driveshaft is held in with a set screw. Others have a nut inside the coupling face. With the driveshaft installed, the coupling faces should be within .003 face to face and outside diameter should be less than .010 otherwise the driveshaft may break. After bolting up, lightly WD40 the driveshaft hanger under the boat and with the engine off, the driveshaft should easily turn by hand. Check your rubber hose and stuffing box (All these repairs will require pulling out the rear seat, engine cover and back floor. Screws are hidden in the carpet). Don't overtighten the packing to begin with. Go to the river and run it with the floor out. An occasional drip is okay with the old style packing because it helps to cool it. The new mechanical seals probably won't drip at all. I personally like the old kind. Carry some channel locks and/or small pipe wrench. Just tighten a little bit along until you have an occasional drip. CAUTION: The brass stuffing box may be hot. Never do this while in gear. Safety first! If you need anything else, let me know. Check out skidim.com for parts. Hope this helps.