PDA

View Full Version : 86 Sunsport Makeover . . .

csuggs
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
My Christmas wish is coming true! In a few weeks I will be taking my 86 Sunsport Skier to Viper Customs for rebuild. We're getting the stringer and floor "treatment", cosmetic hull repairs, new upholstery and a tower - not to mention a few incidental items that I want Jim to address. But here's my dilemma: Although I love the look of the teak on the boat, I hate the maintenance of it. I mean, oiling the teak is no big deal - but keeping the oil off of the vinyl is a big deal. The previous owner did a great job keeping the teak wood oiled, but the vinyl got stained in the process. So now that I'm getting new vinyl, I'm asking myself if I should leave the teak accent trim on the interior. And if not teak, what should I use - if anything? Also, I have a teak rail that goes around the stern - and it cannot be removed for oiling. The remainder of the teak trim is easily removed for oiling as is the teak swim platform. Would a stainless rail around the stern look cool? Or maybe no rail at all? What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Okie Boarder
11-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Man, I'm excited for ya! Make sure to send us lots of pictures. I'm debating removing my rail completely someday. Mine is SS, but it is still a bit of a pain because you can't really sit on the gunwale edge without it being uncomfortable. I would vote for removing yours completely.

jasonba1
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I think it depends if your going with original interior and want to keep it classic stay with the teak but in my opinion I would go with a totally new updated look with the interior and remove the rails and it will look like your boat is a lot newer. I know on my boat I love when people come up and think its a late 2000's model and seeing the look on their face when I tell them its a 92

csuggs
11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah Jason - I really like your interior. Your interior panels are all vinyl if I remember correctly. I'm sure that would be easiest to maintain, but I do like the look of the teak. I just don't want to mess up my new vinyl because of trying to take care of the teak. If I remove the rail around the stern, there will be holes that need to be covered. Maybe with just a piece of trim or something?

jasonba1
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
that or you could just have Jim fill glass and gelcoat them also. Either way your boat will look awesome classic or newer

87SunSportMikeyD
11-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Suggs my opinion would be to use a different teak product. There are several teak products that are not actually teak oil at all. These should not be able to stain the vinyl as easily. I think they are called sealants. Sorry I forget my brand I will try to find the bottle.

If you look at a lot of the new boats they are completly removing the grab rails in the bow and around the rear ski locker. Personally I think that is a little unsafe, but not too bad. I think there is someone here who has removed all grab rails and left them off.

Salty87
11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
good for you, clint. like-new boat next year!

yeah, i've seen boats around here with no rails. i have SS and like them.

when/if i re-do my vinyl, i'm getting rid of the teak trim pieces. the PO of mine stained the vinyl in a few places. i like teak platforms but that's enough for me. i'll leave the bow locker and trim on the engine cover storage but that's about it....oh yeah, trim around the storage areas on either side of the dash too. gunwhale and the teak strips on the engine cover get in the way....imo.

i want to add storage in the gunwhales like most newer boats have. jim could do that real easy while he's got it.

Blackntan90
11-24-2009, 08:52 PM
O.k. You guy's just send that teak my way, I have a couple of idea's for it!!

dshaff24
11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
The first day I bought the boat I knew the first thing to go was the teak,
My plans are not in stone but I believe Im putting white-black-gray camo hydro turf around the flat top of the hull, My main reason is everybody sits and jumps off the side/rear of the boat and when I get the hull redone I wanted something to take the abuse! Like I said its no in stone but I deff like the idea

csuggs
11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, I want to leave the front stainless bow rail on for sure. In the back, the rail gets in the way if you are sitting on the ski locker with your feet on the swim platform. But my wife also likes to sun herself on the ski locker and when she does, she likes to have something to hold onto when wakes come. So I'm thinking about removing the railing that goes all the way around the stern of the boat, then adding a stainless handle or grab bar on each side of the gunwale, next to the ski locker cushion. Maybe then I would just leave teak strips on the gunwale going all the way around. Because I like the teak, I don't want to remove all of it . . .
Mikey, I use the Starbrite (I think) teak oil on the swim platform and it works well, but has to be re-applied a couple times during the season. What other products are you talking about?

Okie Boarder
11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
csuggs, I agree about removing the rear rails and a grab handle is a nice approach. My wife and I don't like the rear rail for the same reasons you mentioned. Maybe next year we'll remove them and fill the holes...we'll see.

rollenrock33
11-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Just my two cents but I would remove the teak rail and the stainless. makes the ski locker much more comfortable and the rails in the front dont really get used when you have a tower to grab on to. I am going to do the same thing with my 87. I removed all the stainless from my 91, really gave it a late model look. All in what you like.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
wow actually I really like the look of that! Very interesting...
Suggs I will have to get the bottle of the sealant I used, sorry I cant find it online right now.

csuggs
12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Praying for good weather the weekend of December 12th - that's when I'm planning the trip to Maryville to drop off my baby!

jasonba1
12-06-2009, 12:35 PM
thats awesome clint hope to see you then

Okie Boarder
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
We'll pray for good weather and a safe trip for ya! Have fun too!

dbennett
12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
To oil teak that is on uphostry use mineral oil instead of teak oil because it won't stain your vinyl.Thanks,Donnie @ Bennett's Boat Repair

csuggs
12-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the tip Donnie.
Ngavdba - I like the classic look of the teak also, but I also like what I saw in the pics you linked. Decisions . . . .
Also, I'm trying to decide if I want to add a "splash" of color to the interior vinyl. I was thinking of a hint of orange, or maybe an orange Supra Wave logo embroidered on the seat back. Can't decide!

csuggs
12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Heading to Maryville in the morning! :D

87SunSportMikeyD
12-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Have fun bud and good luck

Okie Boarder
12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Drive safe!

jasonba1
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Clint picked up some goodies for you today they will be waiting on you at viper I am going to try and make it down there I have a meeting in the morning then I am going to try and get down there to meet you. Have a safe trip down

Salty87
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
i'm sure it will be hard to leave her behind but man, picking her up all fixed up will be well worth it.

bring a camera, i'd like to see some pics of viper...boats, etc

87SunSportMikeyD
12-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Get him to autograph the interior hull hehe

csuggs
12-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Jason - thanks, I look forward to meeting you. We should be there between 2 and 3 tomorrow.

Salty - I am taking the camera and will post some pics. It'll be something like a kid in a candy store. And yes, I will miss her, but am so looking forward to the day I pick her back up in the spring! :cool:

csuggs
12-11-2009, 09:03 PM
ngav - I saw your boat today, looks really sharp. I can only hope that mine turns out as good . . .
We had a good trip and will return home tomorrow. Jim's shop is great. We talked about everything he's going to do, and I'll just about be getting a "new" boat when I go back to pick her up in the spring. Can't wait!
Jason was there too so I met him, and Tom the guy who will be doing a lot of the work. Also I met the ladies in the upholstery shop that will be redoing my interior. We also talked about a custom tower. I sort of felt like I was meeting with Chip Foose from overhauled - too bad he won't be done with it in only a week!
It was a good day - like a kid in a candy store.
Clint

Okie Boarder
12-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Clint...that is so cool! I wish I would have had the budget to do it like you are. It would be fun to lay it in the hands of an expert like Jim and his crew. From talking to him a couple times I can sense the passion he has for what he does.

jasonba1
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I got to meet Clint (csuggs) and his middle son Clayton today and I have to say they are great great people. It was so nice to finally put a face with a name and wish I could meet more of you all that I talk to on the forum all the time. Clint's boat looks great all original which is imrpessive, and I cant wait to see it when Jim gets done with it. Clint have a safe trip home and stay in touch cant wait til spring and maybe we can get out on the water before you get home. I am down at viper all the time just because I love looking at boats so I will try to keep everyone informed how your project is going. I will also make sure Jim takes several pics.

csuggs
12-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Sounds good Jason. Although I have placed confidence in Jim and Tom and his crew, it's nice to know that there will be a forum buddy in there regularly that can relay any news. The pleasure was mine to meet you and Jim. I wish we lived closer!
Heading back to WV this morning . . .

jasonba1
12-12-2009, 06:12 PM
clint hope you made it back safe and we will defintly stay in touch

csuggs
12-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Back safe and sound - without my baby :( Had some second thoughts about the exterior design/graphics on the way home. We will have fun working on that one! Thanks again Jason for being around yesterday. I really feel like we've made the right choice after seeing some of Jim's work in the shop. The possibilities . . . . :)

csuggs
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Boy - the garage sure looks empty without the boat in there . . . .

jasonba1
12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
glad you made it home safe and cant wait to hear your ides on the exterior

csuggs
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Salty - I forgot to take the camera inside when we visited Viper on Friday. But I found out they have a facebook page with lots of pictures on it, so if you're on facebook check it out. He's got lots of boats in there right now, many of them being stored for the winter. He also has several boats that he built and others that are having various repairs. Mine is the only stringer replacement job at the moment.
TEAK - I decided to remove all the teak from the interior but leave the teak on the gunnels. Viper will eliminate the rail around the stern and replace it with the same teak trim that is on the rest of the gunnels and windshield. Also, we are adding some color to the new interior vinyl - all vinyl is being replaced by Jim's in-house upholstery shop. The hull will be completely buffed and shined and then new graphics will be applied. I'm probably going to stay with the original graphics as I'm looking for somewhat of a retro look.
Also, Viper is replacing all the gauges and switches, throttle control, doing some other various maintenance items that just make sense to do while the boat is apart. Hopefully, a custom tower will be the final touch.
Can't wait to get her back!
:D

csuggs
12-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Looking at lots of different Supras on this forum and wherever I can find them to get ideas on how I want to design the hull graphics. Anyone with cool ideas? I want to update the look, but keep some of it retro. ..

jasonba1
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey Clint saw your boat today, the rubrail has been removed and the interior was being pulled out. I forgot my camera but I think Jim got some pics. Shouldnt be long before they are tearing into it.

NeilMcg
01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm planning on removing the rear teak rail on my 87 sun Sport. I was thinking of placing low level LEDs in the holes for a wrap around effect, but I'm not sure if that would look tacky. Any opinions?

87SunSportMikeyD
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I have heard all lights must shine down or inside the boat, else it is considered illegal for driving at night. Sitting in the cove would be fine.

Personally I would cover the spot the grab rail was with some sort of gator grip.

csuggs
01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm planning on removing the rear teak rail on my 87 sun Sport. I was thinking of placing low level LEDs in the holes for a wrap around effect, but I'm not sure if that would look tacky. Any opinions?

That might be cool but I think Mikey might be right about the lights. And I like his idea about the gator grip. As for mine, the rail is coming off and will be replaced with flat teak trim like what is on the rest of the boat.

Let's see some pics of your Sunsport - start a thread!

NeilMcg
01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Sounds like you guys might be right about the lights. It's nice, however to sit and dream while the temp is 26 degrees. By the way, I talked with Jim and he said that he was waiting on your boat to arrive, because he's going to fabricate my rear bench seat from the measurements of your boat. I'll post pics once the initial stages are done. Also, Mike gave me some good starters for a bimini. By the way Clint, I'm in Conneaut Lake...not too far from you. I'll keep you posted.
Neil

csuggs
01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Sounds like you guys might be right about the lights. It's nice, however to sit and dream while the temp is 26 degrees. By the way, I talked with Jim and he said that he was waiting on your boat to arrive, because he's going to fabricate my rear bench seat from the measurements of your boat. I'll post pics once the initial stages are done. Also, Mike gave me some good starters for a bimini. By the way Clint, I'm in Conneaut Lake...not too far from you. I'll keep you posted.
Neil

Neil, that's good that he will be able to duplicate my seat for yours. But I don't know what he means about waiting for my boat to arrive - it's been in his shop for a month. Where is Conneaut lake?

87SunSportMikeyD
01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Here's an idea for you - The Supra Launch uses a hard ballast tank as the base for the rear bench seat. Any thought to having Jim fabricate something like that? Tanks are easy to find. The other option is removing the dividers under the rear bench seat base and plumbing in a fat sac, but from my experience there is a lot of wasted space and the tank would hold a lot more. Think about it!

Also if you are excited about LEDs there are so many possabilities INSIDE the boat! In the bottom of the cupholders, under the drivers dash, in the cabin speaker grills... I put some on the interior gunwales pointing at the floor.

NeilMcg
01-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Clint,
I talked with Jim before your boat arrived. I missed that you were sending it to him in this thread earlier, I just realized that it was your boat. Conneaut Lake is a little more than an hour north of Pittsburgh.

csuggs
01-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Clint,
I talked with Jim before your boat arrived. I missed that you were sending it to him in this thread earlier, I just realized that it was your boat. Conneaut Lake is a little more than an hour north of Pittsburgh.

I took my boat to Jim last month - he has a great shop and I was able to see some of his work. I think that you will be happy.
I checked out your lake online and it looks very cool. I wish we had something like that near us!

csuggs
01-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Progress on the stringer job. Jim said that what they found under the floor was pretty much what he expected to find. Wet foam and soft wood.

You can see more photos on Viper's Facebook page under "current projects"

Salty87
01-21-2010, 01:07 PM
love the empty hull with ski pole.

i bet you're itching to get her back.

i can't imagine having a shop like that to work in.

chautauquasun
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Clint

Is Jim going to paint the hull for you? I noticed that he/you removed all of the stripes and wave logo.

chautauquasun
01-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Clint,

Hey I live in Pittsburgh and travel to Chautauqua each weekend...I will beep when i go by
:-)

Okie Boarder
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Clint,

Exciting! I need to check out Viper's facebook. I haven't had much of a chance to go check it out.

NeilMcg
01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey I live in Pittsburgh and travel to Chautauqua each weekend...I will beep when i go by
:-)

Sounds good. Maybe we can hit the lake sometime this summer

NeilMcg
01-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Here's an idea for you - The Supra Launch uses a hard ballast tank as the base for the rear bench seat. Any thought to having Jim fabricate something like that? Tanks are easy to find. The other option is removing the dividers under the rear bench seat base and plumbing in a fat sac, but from my experience there is a lot of wasted space and the tank would hold a lot more. Think about it!

Also if you are excited about LEDs there are so many possabilities INSIDE the boat! In the bottom of the cupholders, under the drivers dash, in the cabin speaker grills... I put some on the interior gunwales pointing at the floor.

Mike,
I can't visualize your thoughts. Are you thinking that I could use a ballast as a rear seat frame?

csuggs
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Mike,
I can't visualize your thoughts. Are you thinking that I could use a ballast as a rear seat frame?

Timeout - whose thread is this? My boat won't have any ballast - please start your own thread for that. Thanks.

NeilMcg
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Sorry My mistake.

csuggs
01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Sorry My mistake.

No problem - I know it's easy to get sidetracked on here. :D

mapleleaf
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Timeout - whose thread is this? My boat won't have any ballast - please start your own thread for that. Thanks.

just started implementing "timeout's" out our house, should Neil go sit in the corner for a minute????
LOL good catch Clint, ballast talk while your boats getting dried out......I mean really.......chuckle chuckle

csuggs
01-22-2010, 07:38 PM
More pics of the progress . . .

Okie Boarder
01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Boy does that look familiar. I don't miss that stage. Looking good.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
NeilMcg sending pm...

csuggs
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't have any new pics to share yet, but should have soon. I talked to Jim and they have all the foam removed, and the outside stringers cut out. I think he is waiting on the stringer material to arrive - some kind of engineered wood composite. We decided to cut the factory cooler out to provide access and additional storage below. I think we are going to re-locate the battery to that new space to free-up more storage area under the observer seat. I purchased an igloo cooler to go behind the driver's seat and his ladies in the upholstery shop will make a cushion for the top of the cooler that will match the rest of the interior. Also, he is going to fabricate a custom dash insert and we are replacing all the gauges with Teleflex Lido series (white face, chrome bezel, red-tipped needle). I already had replaced the tach and speedos with the Lido and he will replace the other gauges to match. Also he is adding a depth finder in place of the analog clock.

I can't wait to see the finished product ;)

Okie Boarder
01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

dshaff24
02-01-2010, 01:56 AM
replacing all the gauges with Teleflex Lido series (white face, chrome bezel, red-tipped needle). I already had replaced the tach and speedos with the Lido and he will replace the other gauges to match. Also he is adding a depth finder in place of the analog clock.

I can't wait to see the finished product ;)

Is the price still 5k? for all that? If so im just dropping my boat off!

csuggs
02-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Is the price still 5k? for all that? If so im just dropping my boat off!

Sure it's going to cost more, but I'm happy to pay the price for what I'll be getting in return in the spring. This boat is a "keeper" - but that's ok with me. And although I know that I could save some money doing it myself, I'm also happy to pay a professional to do it for me. I'll still be way ahead in the end for what I would have to pay for a newer boat in the same condition this one will be in when I get it back. :cool:

mapleleaf
02-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Clint, Where did you find the Teleflex Lido gauges???? Do they work well??? My boat woke me up early!!!!

csuggs
02-01-2010, 10:45 AM
These gauges are readily available from various dealers. I've been very happy with them so far . . .

Not sure what you mean about the waking you up early??

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1049.pdf

mapleleaf
02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
couldn't sleep, projects on my mind and its too cold to get them started!!!!

csuggs
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
LOL! If my boat were here I'd be chompin' at the bit to tinker with it . . . .

Too far off to start counting the days til spring yet, but it won't be long! I spent about two weeks in between cold spells and got the garage all cleaned out, ready to accept the boat when she comes back. Trying to do as many domestic projects as I can now because once the weather breaks, I'll be on the water :D

chautauquasun
02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
These gauges are readily available from various dealers. I've been very happy with them so far . . .

Not sure what you mean about the waking you up early??

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1049.pdf

I do look the look of those guages. What color is the illumination at night on them? Probably going to keep mine for now. My bezels are black but are looking a little ragged. I might see about painting them before summer.

csuggs
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Dan -
I'm pretty sure they light up red at night. I just don't remember for sure and I'm never out after dark so . . .

mapleleaf
02-01-2010, 09:38 PM
i STOOD AT THE storage facility today staring at her, all tarped and covered, it was 5 degrees here today, nothing I could do.......
This happened last year, I'm starting to go stir crazy,hopefully I keep my rebuild dreams realistic this year, Owning a boat in this climate can def. be a challenge!!!!!

mapleleaf
02-01-2010, 09:39 PM
LOL! If my boat were here I'd be chompin' at the bit to tinker with it . . . .

Too far off to start counting the days til spring yet, but it won't be long! I spent about two weeks in between cold spells and got the garage all cleaned out, ready to accept the boat when she comes back. Trying to do as many domestic projects as I can now because once the weather breaks, I'll be on the water :D

you mean in that "new" boat I'm guess'in

dshaff24
02-02-2010, 01:07 AM
I checked them gauges out and I think its cool that the hour meter is in the rpm guage so thats one less gauge to buy! Im Jealous that your having someone else do the work and it will be in your garage and ready! lol Im getting stressed out over all the work I got myself into!

csuggs
02-02-2010, 06:39 AM
I checked them gauges out and I think its cool that the hour meter is in the rpm guage so thats one less gauge to buy! Im Jealous that your having someone else do the work and it will be in your garage and ready! lol Im getting stressed out over all the work I got myself into!

FUnny thing is that my tach does not have hourmeter on it. I'll still have to have a seperate hour meter. But I'm getting rid of the analog clock which makes room for the depth finder gauge. THe speedos I got are 10-50mph.

I researched these and other threads for a long time before deciding not to do the work myself. I generally don't like to pay someone to do something I can do myself, but this project seemed a little "over the top" for what I was willing to get into - if you know what I mean. Plus I have zero experience with fiberglass work. That being said, I really admire you guys that have chosen to tackle this job yourselves!

csuggs
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Here's a few more pics.

Okie Boarder
02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
She's coming along. What is the target date for completion?

csuggs
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I think mid to late March, but it may go into April. Which is ok with me if it does because I won't hit the river until mid April anyway. Hopefully Jim isn't reading this!!! :D

Okie Boarder
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a plan. I'm interested to see how quickly they catch up to where I'm at.

csuggs
02-04-2010, 07:50 AM
yeah - but you gotta keep in mind that mine isn't the only they are working on - there's a whole warehouse full of boats in that building. Mine may be the only stringer job at this time, but still there are several things going on at once. Jim told me that the material was in for the stringers so I expect to see them getting replaced very soon. Also we have been discussing some details for the interior. He ordered the stereo receiver this week also. I am not going with tower speakers because I want the tower to be lower profile or just high enough to walk under, without leaving room for tower speakers. Instead he is replacing the the 4 factory speakers and adding 2 more in the bow.

Okie Boarder
02-04-2010, 02:41 PM
True true. However, they can get done in a day what takes me a whole week or more.

docdrs
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Ah but the race is on, will be interesting to see how Viper does it

csuggs
02-10-2010, 09:26 AM
There she is boys . . . . the bare essence of an 80's Supra!

2nd pic shows how they blocked it up so that the hull doesn't sag or twist while the stringers are removed. They will first replace the outboard stringers, then cut out and replace the main stringers.

chautauquasun
02-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Clint...did they paint the inside of your boat or just clean it? I noticed in the earlier pics when the foam was just removed the color of the inside of the hull is different than the most recent picture with it blocked.

dusty2221
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
^ I wondered the same thing. Your last pic looks like a nearly new hull compared to the first set of pics!

csuggs
02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Clint...did they paint the inside of your boat or just clean it? I noticed in the earlier pics when the foam was just removed the color of the inside of the hull is different than the most recent picture with it blocked.

No - I feel certain that's just the change in color where they sanded/grinded to accept the new glass.

docdrs
02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
There is a good video of how they build there boats on the Sangerboats website that guys doing a rebuild might appreciate

http://www.sangerboats.com/craftsmanship.html

I enjoyed it

dshaff24
02-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Looking real good, Im excited to see this job complete!

Okie Boarder
02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Looking good!

csuggs
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Now that we've turned the corner with this rebuild (the boat is now starting to go back together beginning with the stringers) I am ending this thread and continuing documentation on a new thread called "Suggs' 86 Sunsport" in the Service and Repair section. Check out updates there . . .