PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP Looking at buying a 1991 sunsport

edgewater1
11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm looking at buying a 91' sunsport that was a donation to the sea scouts and the boat has spent a year or two covered, outside on a farm the trailer is shot, but the body is good the has 675 hours on the engine which has never been rebuilt and a it has new water pump, ? how much is a trailer or should a rebuild the trailer, and IS this boat worth the trouble? other info, it was sat in salt water for weeks at a time?
Anything You can tell me a awesome
Tony

Salty87
11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
sounds like a bit of a gamble unless you're getting a great price. boats that sit for a long time outside have a tendency to get waterlogged foam unless it was covered very well. your description sounds like the boat was forgotten, that's not too encouraging. 91 still had wooden stringers and floor. unless you want a rebuild project, be careful and check for soft spots in the floor and standing water in the bilge. sitting in salt water without proper bottom painting is a bad thing too.

edgewater1
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
the boat has bottom paint and the floor has satnding water on it, if you step on the carpet water come up

csuggs
11-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Unless you want a project and the price is real cheap, run from it.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
All the wood supporting beams and floor would need to be replaced. You can have it done for about $5k. If you can get the boat for $3k it might be a deal. However, I have also heard that regular running in salt water can damage the engine unless it is flushed with fresh water after each time out. Guessing this was not done. There is a 2000Xstar listed on wakeworld.com classifieds that is in similar condition and there are some well informed comments about it if you wanted some more info on saltwater damage possibilities.

Salty87
11-25-2009, 12:20 PM
even if that boat was free...it's gonna cost you thousands to get it running again (not just the engine).

edgewater1
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
would it be worth it for a grand, they want 5

87SunSportMikeyD
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Think of it this way - if it were in above-average condition (no work needed) it would probably fetch $10.5-11.5k. Are you mechanically inclined and have time to do work? If so you could come out way ahead. Even if you pay someone else to do it you might spend 5k to restore it. Are you a wakeboarder/surfer? It costs a couple k more to outfit it with tower and racks and ballast, etc.

If you are okay with having to take it someone where to get the floor and stringers redone, it doesn't sound like a bad deal for $3k or less.

But you would need to get the engine checked out for sure. I can't help you a ton there but these other guys should be able to. I would guess if you brought an air compressor you could do a compression test. You would want to look for rust on the motor, maybe pull a couple hoses off and peek at the metal fittings for rust. Also check the hoses to be sure the rubber isn't degrading; small bits of rubber could clog the lines.

This is a major project boat and it would be a few months minimum before you are on the water.

If there is standing water on the carpet, everything wood probably needs replacing. What about the vinyl on the seats? Also all the seat bases are made from wood and would likely be rotting too.

Salty87
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
unless you want to tear it down to the bare hull and spend at least 6 months grinding and fiberglassing...i'd run.

$5k with standing water in hull?...in the words of the movie Used Cars...."that price is too f#$%ing high!" those people are smoking something.

there are lots of rebuild threads around, check my signature link.

csuggs
11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I love my boat - a lot. But, if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now largely due to reading this site, I would go after a 92 or later and get something with no wood in the structure. There are lots of boats out there, and this time of year it's worth shopping around. And you've probably got plenty of time because I don't think anyone is going to snatch the boat from you for 5 grand in the condition you have described.
I paid 5000 for my 86 Sunsport, and although I have made some improvements over the last 18 months, I really didn't have to do anything to it to start enjoying it right away. However, I am paying for a major rebuild this winter consisting of new stringers and floor, interior vinyl (not a necessity - but more of a "want"), and a tower. Throw in some minor hull repairs and new graphics and I'll still have only about 15000 in the boat. Look at what you can buy for 10-15 grand and compare it to what you think you would have in this boat you're looking at now. By the way, I have a friend that just paid 20 for a 2000 Mastercraft with V-drive with low hours and in great condition - pretty nice find I would say.
If I were you, I would take some time looking at your options - plenty of time so you don't have to rush into anything.
My $.02 ;)

edgewater1
11-29-2009, 06:19 AM
looking at the boat at 9:30 i'm going to try to get pics anyting i should looki for a 1991 supra sunsport

csuggs
11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
The main thing I would check is for signs of water damage in the floor and stringers. Check the floor for soft spots - if there are none, ask if it has been replaced. Open the motor cover and inspect the stringers around where the exhaust pipes go below the deck. Test the firmness of the fiberglass with your finger or thumb see if it is week from stringer rot. Inspect the motor mounts and look to see of there is any rust or discoloration coming from around the motor mount bolts (where they go into the stringer) and running down into the bilge. A rust or water trail is a sure sign that the stringers are wet. You could even remove onw of the lower motor mount bolts (lag screw, actually) to see if any water drains from the hole when you pull the bolt out. Also, check the seat cushion frames, especially in the rear bench. Turn the cushions over to see if the wood underneath them is rotten. Good luck, I hope this works out for you!

edgewater1
11-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Went and look at the 91 sunsport and from what i found not to must rust around engine mounts the floor is solid so ??? I have pics i tryin to uploadvia phone so bear with me. Tony any more help is great

87SunSportMikeyD
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
how many hours? Did he start the engine? For how long? Did you get to look at the seat cushin backs and the seat bases for rot? Did you get to make sure the motor mount bolts are tight?

edgewater1
11-29-2009, 06:10 PM
The boat has 678 hours and He was not present he works nights andhe gave us permission to see it. He did not start it and it was not run in a year the seat were plastic bottoms and could not rotand themount had no rot the engine boltswere tight pics some will be up

edgewater1
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
SO check it?

87SunSportMikeyD
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Hours are good, plastic seat bottoms is great, how about the rear bench seat base (and spotters seat base) I would check them to be sure. If motor mounts are solid and floor is solid, you may be getting closer to a winner as these are the only real problems to look for in these boats. You may wish to do a compression test to be sure all cylinders are not damaged. Not positive about the engine though there is a lot of rust on the exhaust manifolds (large black on either side of motor) there could be a seal leak which is still not a big deal. Get it compression tested and take a test drive! Good luck

Salty87
11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
poor boat, left for dead in a field. i'd love to see her all cleaned up again but DAMN! it looks like every last surface either needs to be painted, sanded, acid cleaned, or just replaced. the trailer doesn't look too happy either but probably nothing that can't be fixed.

is that a garden hose zip-tied to the cooling hose? lol, you never know what a previous owner is capable of.

you mentioned earlier in the thread that there was standing water in the boat. if that's the case, i'd skip it. it's a rebuild-in-waiting....unless that's what you want.

csuggs
11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
What's with the ignition on this boat? Is it "distributorless" ???

ngavchris
11-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Salty,
I think your seeing the oil pan drain hose. Mine is routed the same way.

If you want a project to work on then this looks like it would be good one.

Never seen the that type of distributor setup.

csuggs
11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I think those are individual coil paks on the back - maybe from a car ignition - which means that they wouldn't necessarily be approved for marine use.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I think he was looking at a different boat that had the standing water in it. This one he says has little water damage.

edgewater1
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Same boat turned out to be in okay condition

87SunSportMikeyD
11-30-2009, 06:00 PM
oops sorry. So this boat is the same dirt cheap price you listed before??

edgewater1
11-30-2009, 08:22 PM
He is are asking 5k but its worth around 3k and in this econmy and where we aree located " maryland" we are offering about 1500.

csuggs
12-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Edgewater - just curious, but where in Maryland are you?

edgewater1
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Suburbs of D.C.

Okie Boarder
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
$1500 might be worth it. Like others have said, it seems like a project boat. I'd be planning to gut it and do a floor and stringer replacement, then go from there.

csuggs
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Suburbs of D.C.

I'm from Harford County, MD - just wondering.

edgewater1
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Nice....................

edgewater1
12-02-2009, 06:45 PM
O any other opnnions on da boat

87SunSportMikeyD
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Well... IF this boat needs floors and stringer job, it is a lot bigger project obviously. So if you are fairly confident they look good, the price is certainly nice.

Assuming you aren't going to be able to test drive it, so bring a small air compressor and do your own compression check, maybe??

(edit - left off the IF above. Kinda big)

86Pirata454
12-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Well... this boat needs floors and stringer job, it is a lot bigger project obviously. So if you are fairly confident they look good, the price is certainly nice.

Assuming you aren't going to be able to test drive it, so bring a small air compressor and do your own compression check, maybe??

i am lost with the compressor for the test? do you mean cylinder leakage?
Also looks like an early GM dis coil setup, if thats the one im thinking of be very caregul not to get shocked, gm changed the design because it can put up over 100,000 volts, and has caused deaths

Foxrat
12-05-2009, 01:50 AM
It also looks from the pictures that the raw water pump is missing so you will not be able to test it in the water untill you replace with a new one. skidim.com has them for $330.00. My boat came with a motor in simular condition only to find it froze and busted, I had to get a new block, I would also check if all the freeze plugs are place.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-05-2009, 10:33 AM
That is true, if they have not been winterizing the motor then the block is cracked and the motor would need to be replaced.