PDA

View Full Version : Custom Windshield

csuggs
11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I was looking over some things on my Sunsport today . . . wonder how it would look with the windshield cut down about 4 or 6"?? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to do - just take the window frames apart and start cutting. Right?

Razzman
11-29-2009, 04:50 PM
You talking about cutting down the glass? If you are and it's tempered like i believe it is then no. You can't cut tempered glass, it'll explode if you try. Also if you break it a replacement is $1000-1200.

csuggs
11-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah - I know you can't cut tempered, I was talking about cutting the aluminum frame material. Glass would have to be special ordered from the local glass supplier.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
I would rather get a drivers seat with a flip up bolster (booster seat)

Mani
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I own and operate a glass replacement company and I know that we cut custom pieces of flat glass a few times a year for all sorts of applications. We only deal with automotive safety glass, so tempered glass would fall under that category. We have done a few boat windshields in the past, so here's my advice.

If you're looking to replace one pane of the windshield (given it's flat like mine and yours), anything close to $1000 means you're either being charged for the OEM windshield or being simply overcharged. Either is an unpleasant situation. I'd find someone in your local listings that does cut custom flat glass (laminated or tempered), and get it replaced for closer to the $200 mark.

If you're looking at customizing the windshield, I'd find the same guy that would cut custom pieces and have him take a pattern of the new windshield frame, once you're done with it. Usually it shouldn't take more than a few days to get a tempered piece like that. I'd be prepared to spend anywhere from $125 to $200 per pane.

I'd help you out with it, but from my understanding I'm the only guy on these forums that lives in the DFW area.

Okie Boarder
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
mani is right on. You could cut the frame down and then just order the glass. I accidentally shattered one of my panes and just went to a local glass shop that cut and tempered it for me. I ran into some issues with it being cut wrong the first time (plus the glass color was wrong, which was more my fault than theirs) and the shop had to do it again. We corrected the color issue at the same time. I can't remember what I paid, but the price mani is talking about sounds about right. If you do them all at the same time you could do a color change too and go with smoked instead of the "green" that is there.

Razzman
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I also until recently was in the commercial glass biz dealing with the largest suppliers on the west coast and Mani is right about the time frame, I could get glass the next day to order. But i'll say this, price will vary greatly among glass dealers so shop. Also remember that most marine glass is also polarized now and if yours is and you replace with non-polarized your really going to notice a difference. Just something to consider. Personally i think 87SunSportMikeyD's idea of a bolster seat is a better option as you'll see more benefit, unless of course it's for looks only.

csuggs
12-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Well - I was thinking of this idea only out of my interest to improve the looks. I have no problem seeing through the windshield and if I want to see over it, I have a throwable flotation cushion that I could use. But I think you all have successfully talked me out of the idea with the cost issue - the existing windshield doesn't look that bad. ;)

ngavchris
12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Come on and spend some more money...... Just tell Jim what you want and he will make it happen for you. LOL

csuggs
12-02-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm sure he would!

87SunSportMikeyD
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Suggs remind me what is your ballast situation? Do you have an auto ballast installed yet? Does Jim do that? :p

csuggs
12-02-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not going for any ballast at this point. It seems like I usually end up with about 6 peeps in the boat but I've always had to put them up front while towing. With a tower, I will put them in the rear, or at least spread the load around some. I don't want any ballast below deck because I don't want the chance of problems down there. If I decide I need it, I'll utilize the ski locker since the boards will be mounted on the new tower. Wait and see . . .