PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a school project

86Pirata454
11-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Well I have to create a business and I am doing a shop similar to viper customs. Its a shop that only works on inboard ski and wake boats. We would do everything from basic maintenance to full restorations and stringer jobs.
A few questions i need help answering are
Whats start up costs for a shop like this?
Whats customer base?
I was thinking anyone with a ski boat but not sure.
As i do it i will be chiming in. Thanks for the help guys

87SunSportMikeyD
11-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Maybe an easier business model would be an independant, certified marine motor repairman? You take the training and buy your tools and that is pretty much it for startup costs if you have a space/barn on your property.

I would think for your project emulating Viper would be pretty complicated since he does many things like vinyl, paint, custom welding, etc.

Just a thought

86Pirata454
12-02-2009, 11:51 PM
true kinda a combo of both, starting as small stuff with restorations and such and grwoing to custom stuff

87SunSportMikeyD
12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I would wager money that if you sent some questions out to someone you'd get an answer. Like a shop owner, Jim @ Viper, a wakeboarder, shop owner, etc. I just feel like there are good people in this industry,

Mani
12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
The mark of death, IMHO, for most start ups is to cut out a large demographic of people by being too specific. In medicine that makes lots of money, but in a repair shop, it can make you go broke, fast (not always true, but I've seen it more often than not).

Let's face it, there's a ton of people out there with outboard, and I/O engines. If you want to make an A on the paper, do yourself a favor and broaden the horizons for the business by encompassing all marine mechanics. You broaden your customer base, and increase business. Your teacher/professor will notice the difference.

In short, I wouldn't open a mechanic shop and put a giant sign out front that said "ROTARY ENGINES ONLY".

87SunSportMikeyD
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure at marine engine mechanic school they teach you about those types too

86Pirata454
12-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Well got an A on this project. Kinda just left it broad at it will cost alot to start this business as one of my weaknesses in the SWOT analysis.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like marketing? My major too.

86Pirata454
12-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Sounds like marketing? My major too.

Actually a management class haha. Its principles in management, i liked the class eventhoguh i changed my major now. I will go for my auto degree and get i finance somewhere else