PDA

View Full Version : ballast system on 2002 launch

Dan Birchler
06-18-2002, 11:59 PM
I hope that someone is still working on the air locking ballast system pumps problem. I have tried the taking the boat up to 25 to 30 to \"force prime\" the system. This only seems to help at best. The fix remains ellusive. I am still at a total loss how two seperate plumbing systems can get air locked when the pumps themselves are under the water line. I spoke to a customer service guy at Rule Pumps who said the same thing...\"shouldn't be a problem, the pumps are under the water line which puts positive pressure on them thereby preventing the chance for an air lock\". Well, I went to physics too but ?!?!?!.

keithf
06-20-2002, 07:06 PM
I have an '02 SSV with the factory ballast. The inlet pump seems to be just above the waterline.

If you trailer then the water will run out between the inlet and the pump itself.

For the pump to work it has to be below the waterline, or that air column has to be displaced before the pump can work again. So I have to take it up to boarding speed initially to create pressure which starts it all working. Then I can idle back and it continues to fill.

Hope this explanation helps. At least that's how I think it all works.

Keith.