PDA

View Full Version : My first boat a 1984 supra rider

bigdawg
12-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey I bought this boat last feb for $2200 with out the tower and stero from a guy that got it new and had it retored in 1995 and has been sitting in a shop. since he got it back he might have taken it out maybe 10 times i got it and put a tower on it and built a fiberglass tower box for it and installed a radio

87SunSportMikeyD
12-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey bud thanks for the heads up! Man that is just a great great deal! She looks awesome, I love the decals on the sides! Replace the rainbow with the red stripe and the font looks super neato, seen it on some later models too, what is up with that i wonder. Do you still use the ski pylon? I think the front is much roomier with it out. Love the tower speakerbox, nice work! Looks like a winner for sure and good luck with ballast, let me know what you decide! :)

dshaff24
12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
krypt tower? looks good

bigdawg
12-02-2009, 12:12 AM
yea its a kyrpt tower got it on ebay and the reg is old as crap still waiting on good old ga to send me some new stickers and numbers

ngavchris
12-02-2009, 06:52 AM
The GA registration numbers will stay the same. They belong to the boat. What part of GA are you in.

Okie Boarder
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Looking good. I like the looks of that Krypt tower. I'm either going Krypt or the Aerial Airborne.

jaywidhalm
12-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I love that tower box!! You built it yourself?? What kind and size of speakers are in it?

bigdawg
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
yea i built it myself could not see spending a butt load of money on tower speakers and since i do auto paint and body for a living i decided to make my own the speaker size are 6.5 i have thought about selling them but dunno how that would go over

87SunSportMikeyD
12-04-2009, 01:13 PM
The only other reasonably prices tower speaker package imho is the Kicker KMT6 for $175 (refurb ebay) - $400 (new from mfg) depending on where you buy (I paid $240 new with store warranty froim ebay). They are easily audible while wakeboarding and quite loud surfing.

Now if you have money to spend dont get me wrong wetsounds are the gold standard and I would kill for a pair of pro 80s is I just had an extra grand to blow... I did my entire stereo for under $500 and it rocks thank you very much! hehe

I see fiberglass boxes like the one you made selling online for quite a bit more. Some people really really go for the polk momo 6.5"s, so there is definitly demand. Just chatting.

jaywidhalm
12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I would like to get tower speakers, as I don't have any yet, but not a priority right now. I think I would rather have a drysuit for in my area.;) Do you typically have to amp these speakers as well, or does the deck usually have enough to push them?

snibbornairb
12-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Looks like there is a lot of GA representation on this thread... Allatoona even... nice.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Interior cabin speakers work fine off the deck, but for tower speakers or a sub they need to be powered by an amp. Interior cabin speakers can be made to sound louder and clearer with an amp as well.

Some people even choose to use seperate amps for cabin speakers, tower speakers and sub (3 amps) which seems just silly to me. My budget setup used just one amp, but it is a 5channel amp which is not very common. This allows me to use 2ch for cabin, 2ch for tower, and it has a dedicated sub channel as well. All for just $130 and a 1yr warranty. The brand is an off brand but made at the same factory with the same components and I was able to find many many positive reviews online. http://www.millionbuy.com/crup50005.html

This also entails running additional power wires (extra thick 2 or 4 guage) from your battery to the amp location (for me it is by drivers knees inside the gunwale). Then you need to run speaker wires through the tower (and power wires if you ever want to add lights to the tower, spotlights or a towertop nav light like I did). I spent easily $150 or so on wiring, quick connectors, etc. And I did it budget! :)

I know you are just thinking about this but I figured I'd share my budget experience because a lot of people dont hesitate to shell a few grand on their boat stereo. Obviously not a lot of people with older boats will want to do that. Although I admit a pair of WS Pro80s would sure be rockin.

bigdawg
12-05-2009, 12:53 PM
yea talked to a buddy of mine and we are gonna start building these boxs with the polk db 6.5 to sell this week we are gonna make 3 and see how they sell

jaywidhalm
12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Interior cabin speakers work fine off the deck, but for tower speakers or a sub they need to be powered by an amp. Interior cabin speakers can be made to sound louder and clearer with an amp as well.

Some people even choose to use seperate amps for cabin speakers, tower speakers and sub (3 amps) which seems just silly to me. My budget setup used just one amp, but it is a 5channel amp which is not very common. This allows me to use 2ch for cabin, 2ch for tower, and it has a dedicated sub channel as well. All for just $130 and a 1yr warranty. The brand is an off brand but made at the same factory with the same components and I was able to find many many positive reviews online. http://www.millionbuy.com/crup50005.html

This also entails running additional power wires (extra thick 2 or 4 guage) from your battery to the amp location (for me it is by drivers knees inside the gunwale). Then you need to run speaker wires through the tower (and power wires if you ever want to add lights to the tower, spotlights or a towertop nav light like I did). I spent easily $150 or so on wiring, quick connectors, etc. And I did it budget! :)

I know you are just thinking about this but I figured I'd share my budget experience because a lot of people dont hesitate to shell a few grand on their boat stereo. Obviously not a lot of people with older boats will want to do that. Although I admit a pair of WS Pro80s would sure be rockin.

When I do it I will definately be on a budget as well. Thanks for the info. This may be something on next years X-mas list!!

87SunSportMikeyD
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Snibby wakeworld auction had one at MSRP around $1300 and I think it sold for around $500 I think.