PDA

View Full Version : Want to replace rubber on swim grid

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Hello fellow boaters. I have a 2002 Launch SS direct drive with a fiberglass swim grid. The rubber that is on the grid is fairly soft and rips easily from fins on skis and boards. It also seems to transfer black marks to the interior, possibly from sunlight oxidation of the rubber surface or possibly from hard water in my local lake or the ocean. Anybody have any suggestions for a new rubber membrane? A friend of mine has a 2008 Centurian Enzo and it has a very hard rubber surface with raised Centurion bosses. It is a little hard on the knees but it does not seem to stain the interior. I hate like hell to phone up Centurion and ask them for some of their rubber. It also has a strip on the back of the stern to protect the gelcoat from board and ski damage. I thought that was a good idea. What kind of rubber is Supra using on their new boats? I'm having a lot of grief from this. Almost wish I had a wood swim grid that I can sand and refinish.

Dave

Sluggo
12-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I have the same issue with my 2005. This is what I plan on doing this winter or early Spring now I guess.

http://www.seadekstore.com/supra.aspx

It is less expensive if you go through Jim at Viper.

Dave
2005 22 SSV GG

jaywidhalm
12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Hello fellow boaters. I have a 2002 Launch SS direct drive with a fiberglass swim grid. The rubber that is on the grid is fairly soft and rips easily from fins on skis and boards. It also seems to transfer black marks to the interior, possibly from sunlight oxidation of the rubber surface or possibly from hard water in my local lake or the ocean. Anybody have any suggestions for a new rubber membrane? A friend of mine has a 2008 Centurian Enzo and it has a very hard rubber surface with raised Centurion bosses. It is a little hard on the knees but it does not seem to stain the interior. I hate like hell to phone up Centurion and ask them for some of their rubber. It also has a strip on the back of the stern to protect the gelcoat from board and ski damage. I thought that was a good idea. What kind of rubber is Supra using on their new boats? I'm having a lot of grief from this. Almost wish I had a wood swim grid that I can sand and refinish.

Dave

I am also interested in the rear pad for the stern. It hasn't happened yet, but I would hate to see a board take a good "bite" out of my gel-coat.

jasonba1
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
talked Jim at viper a while back and he will sale to all supra fourm memember the swim pad for either 175 or 179 I cant remember now but the supra one looks awesome I wish I would have put it on my boat I just went with the plain black seadek and love it no more black foot prints but the one with the supra logo is awesome.

jasonba1
12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
dave PM sent

jaywidhalm
12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Any info on a protective pad for the transom??

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
12-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Jason/Sluggo,

Thanks for the information on SeaDek. It looks like a good product and I love the Supra emblem. It would be nice if SeaDek made a rubber piece for across the stern to protect your gelcoat from board damage with a nice Supra logo embossed on it. That's what is preventing me from putting rubber across my stern now because I have a really nice Supra logo there now.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

tg0824SSVGG
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I put a product from the same people as Keel Shield, called "transom shield" .. it's
actually a pretty thick piece of clear "vinyl" - hard to see, but does a great
job at protection. (http://keelshield.com/transom-shield.html)

http://keelshield.com/typo3temp/pics/64173378a9.jpg

I have also seen people put a strip of "Butttrax" there (airjunky.com)

http://www.airjunky.com/traxxed/84AmericanSkier.JPG

For me, I just want a WIDER platform, the Supra one is sooo skinny. I like the one on Tige's - they are WIDE ...

Todd

jet
01-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I am so getting one of these in the spring. Cool

87SunSportMikeyD
01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Well the thing that didn't sell me on either the clear transom shield or a strip near the swim platform was that sometimes people kick surfboards into the transom. This really wont hurt the boat but it can wreck the surfboard. Only thing I could find was the bakes transom pad:
http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=775

http://www.bakesonline.com/images/2008/BOAT/03Accessories/BlackTransomPad_LG.jpg

KY Steve
01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
I plan to take the pad off mine and have the entire platform sprayed with Rhino Lining this Spring, its virtually indestructible and is comes in almost any color to match the boats colors.

tg0824SSVGG
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Steve,

Just make sure you have them put "sand" or something in the final spray. I got a buddy
with a MasterCraft X45 that did that - but the deck was SLICKER THAN SNOT, I
watched a fully-clothed person (barefoot) slip right off it and nearly break their neck
while doing so - he took it back and they added something to make it less slick...

Just a thought.

Todd

jonyb
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Rhino lining..... That sounds like a good idea. My platform is all scratched up from people that don't know how to get in the water with their board on. The front lip and the corner on teh middle are scratched real bad from this.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I heard they can make it softer or harder too and if it's too hard it is painful on the knees. Personally I would go with the SeaDeck with the supra logo how kewl is that

docdrs
01-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Gator grip is another. Look in Fmans profile he has pics of it. It comes in different colours

tg0824SSVGG
01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
my good friend Bill Kinnison (airjunky.com) sells this material as well, check out his
site - there are lots of photos of what he calls Traxx (same stuff) on swim platforms.

Sluggo
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
What is the average cost for Rhino lining a platform?

jaywidhalm
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
my good friend Bill Kinnison (airjunky.com) sells this material as well, check out his
site - there are lots of photos of what he calls Traxx (same stuff) on swim platforms.

I actually just met with Bill and bought some of this from him earlier this week! (We live in the same area) I bought some for use as a transom saver. It looks like pretty cool stuff, with lots of different colors available. It is easy to work with and apply yourself too. I founda pattern that matches my boat perfectly. Worth looking into anyway.

KY Steve
01-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Steve,

Just make sure you have them put "sand" or something in the final spray. I got a buddy
with a MasterCraft X45 that did that - but the deck was SLICKER THAN SNOT, I
watched a fully-clothed person (barefoot) slip right off it and nearly break their neck
while doing so - he took it back and they added something to make it less slick...

Just a thought.

Todd

Great idea, I plan to take the platform off in the early Spring when I get back down to the lake and take it to Rhino Lining and Line-X. I'll post what they recommend and costs.

I like the idea of Traxx, just not sure about the look.

Blackntan90
01-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I used a roll-on grip, got it from west marine in a quart can. Just poured it on after taping off the areas that I did not want it to get on. I will look for pic's.