PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a quick-drain kit

87SunSportMikeyD
12-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey gang

I do not like barking my knuckles while removing exhaust manifold plugs! So I am shelling out for or making my own quick drain kit. The engine is my 87 SunSport 351Ford PCM.

Is this the correct quick-drain kit? Anything missing? Could I make this cheaper myself? What do YOU use?? Pics! Thanks!

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM001
5 Drains For PCM Fords.
Item Number : 4403
Unit Price: $81.90
http://www.skidim.com/images/mcm001.jpg

EASY DRAIN INDMAR FORD & GM, PCM GM
QUICK, EASY ENGINE DRAIN SYSTEM All parts are solid brass. Plastic ball valves prevent binding. Kit includes all necessary parts for exhaust manifolds, engine block drains, and thermostat elbow (required on PCM Ford only). INDMAR engines! No more mess when draining! No more lost drain plugs! No more wrenches needed!

csuggs
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Mikey - I recently looked at the same kit for mine, but thought it was a little over-priced. Instead, for the exhaust manifolds I used a 3/4x1/2 brass face bushing and a 1/2" brass allen-head flush plug. I used thread-locking sealant on the face bushing so that it would stay in the manifold without using a wrench. Don't use any sealant between the face bushing and plug. Now I just use an allen-head wrench to easily remove the plug with one hand, and no busted knuckles. For the block drains, I just used 3/8" allen-head flush plugs. Seams easy enough for me, and affordable.

Top picture is a flush plug, bottom picture is a face bushing

Here's a link to the website I ordered from: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/brass.html

Salty87
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
i'm sure you can make your own. they don't work all that great. there's alot of crud flaking off the manifolds and it collects in the drains. you need to use them a couple of times a year or the petcocks can also get stuck closed. keep a paperclip handy to clear clogs.

csuggs
12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
i'm sure you can make your own. they don't work all that great. there's alot of crud flaking off the manifolds and it collects in the drains. you need to use them a couple of times a year or the petcocks can also get stuck closed. keep a paperclip handy to clear clogs.

That's one reason I chose not to go that route. The way mine are now, they are easy to get open and big enough to let the crud out, but still get the bilge wet.

Okie Boarder
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
So, do you guys always pull all those plugs and drain all the water out? Do you refill with antifreeze? What temps are your boats exposed to?

I have my motor on a crate in my garage and didn't winterize it until recently. I just sprayed the fogging oil down in the cylinders and poured RV antifreeze down in the thermostat housing and the water intake until they were full. I used a full gallon. Am I risking anything because I never drained the water?

Salty87
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
i get to cheat being in austin. we don't get many freezes where the temp doesn't get above freezing the next day. if a big cold spell is coming, i'll put a shop light under the engine cover. if we lose power i'll just start it up and get the engine up to temp. it won't freeze that night...rinse repeat if i have to. but in 10 years i haven't needed to start it like that.

okie...did you drain any of the water when you pulled it out?

jzelt
12-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I have never undone the plugs on the manifold, only the block.
However, I only have to do it once a year. I just unscrew the hose clamp and pull the hose off the bottom and let it drain into the bilge. Much easier I think. If I had to use it year round like some, I would probably install.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I have heard of people cheating and not draining the water before filling with antifreeze. In my neck of the woods it gets REALLY cold so this is not an option. It should mix with the water in the block/manifolds but possibly not.

Personally I have never noticed any crud coming out when draining the block/manifolds, and I have never had to use a wire either. It does seem like the outlet of those drains might be a bit small...

Okie Boarder
12-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I only drained out whatever water came out of the water inlet when I shut her down the last time.

We don't get super cold here either and the engine is in the garage. Even with our teens and single digits this week, the garage still didn't get below 38. Although, I was running the heater out there some trying to do the epoxy work.

csuggs
12-11-2009, 09:13 PM
It gets below freezing in my garage so I drain the block. Drain both manifolds, and both blog drains. After I reinstall the plugs, I pour in 2 gallons of RV antifreeze. Then I crack each of the plugs to be sure the pink stuff comes out.

jet
12-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Mikey, I made mine for like $1ea (home depot) plus a hose laying around. Heres a pic.

docdrs
12-13-2009, 05:52 PM
You could by a washing machine hose, cut it and put a quick disconnect in the middle or off centered and you basically would have what is done in the new boats now, and quick to drain and cheap

87SunSportMikeyD
12-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Jet thanks buddy I knew someone would come through with the budget fix. :)
Only thing though, do you have manifold risers?? I barely have any room to work there under the exhaust manifold. I'm not sure I could get a wrench in there.

csuggs
12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
The last time I removed the drain plugs from the manifold I had to also remove one of the risers just to get a wrench on the plug. Then I had to replace the riser gasket when I put it all back together. That's why I ended up replacing the plugs with the face bushing and flush plug. Now it's easy to get an allen wrench on the plug to remove it.

jet
12-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Yes, I do. you can only fit the wrench on the inside of the exhaust, not from the outside of the box. no problem. YOU CAN DO IT!!