PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Games Sacs vs Factory SSV

catdaddy76
03-23-2004, 11:58 PM
I would like to know the specs on the Gravity Games SSV ballast tanks. And what does the factory SSV come with in comparison.
I am an rookie Wakeboarder, do I need to spend the extra money to make the Ballast tanks larger, or will factory tanks satisfy me?
Thanks for all of your help! I can't wait to get my new SSV in the water!!!

mygreenmonster.com
03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
I haven't had my 04 SSV GG boat out yet, but I think that mine did not come with the Gravity Games edition bags. That is one fault I see in Supra and the dealership is the lack of knowledge about this subject. I asked the dealer what size ballast I have the they didn't know. I asked another Supra worker and he didn't know for sure. He told me that I could order some, but I don't know how to check what version I have. Obviously, if I already have them I wouldn't want to order them.

Anyway, I have been riding behind all of my friends' Malibu wakesetter VLXs. They had factory 900 pound ballast in them and all of us can throw HUGE jumps off of that wake. Therefore, I assume that the factory standard ballast in the SSV will be the same if not better.

I still would like to find out how to check my ballast bags to see if they are the gravity games edition bags or not. Is there a tag on the bag to indicate the pounds? If someone out there knows any indicator to check what size ballast bags I have in my SSV, please respond.

03-24-2004, 05:10 PM
I have no idea how you can tell what size your sacs are, but I do know that if you have to Gravity Games bags, the 2 rear ones are ~800lbs each and the locker one is ~1000lbs. But, according to my dealer, they cannot sell those stock with the Supras because of the the boat weight limit. So you have to order them separately. I ordered mine from Fly High for my 03 SSV, and got them cheaper than through my dealer.

cowtipper179
03-25-2004, 01:52 AM
I'll get back to you guys with exact specs, but I can tell you that both the SSV & Gravity Games boats come with the standard ballast sacs -- the gravity bags are considerably larger & will cost you approx. $600. If you are just getting started, the standard sacs will give you all you need for now and leave you a little room for storage. I added the bigger ones to mine & it does make some difference but only if you are advanced. On the down side, the bigger sacs leave you no room for storage of anything in any of the three compartments.

bwade
03-26-2004, 10:32 AM
I PICKED MY GRAVITY GAMES BOAT UP YESTERDAY AND I ASK ONE OF THE GUYS HOW MUCH BALLAST WAS IN THE GG EDITION AND HE SAID 700 IN THE REAR AND 600 IN THE TRUNK DONT KNOW IF THAT IS RIGHT OR NOT

arrowride
03-28-2004, 01:15 AM
I belive the GG bags are two 550lbs in the rear lockers and one 1200lb in the front. The standard bags are two 350s in the rear and one 600 up front. You can order custom bags for the rear that will hold about 675 lbs each. Beginners and intermediates should be fine with the stock ballast. There is a wild women on wakeboarder.com (Miss Jade with a beautiful SSV) who runs as much as 4500 lbs total.

arrowride
03-29-2004, 02:35 AM
You might want to post a message for miss jade on wakeboarder, like I said she runs with as much as 4500 and has said that it performs fine. Don't know which prop shes running. I have run an SSV at 5200 ft (subtract about 4% of hp per 1000ft) with all factory ballast and about 10 people and it seemed to do OK but it may have had the 330hp in it, it was during a tournament so it was a dealer boat. I can only talk about it for now though since my new SSV GG won't be in until friggin June!! I did order the 385 hp engine though.

feere2084
03-30-2004, 05:34 PM
I was wondering can you put GG bags in any Moomba/supra or only the GG edition Boats

flyinj
04-01-2004, 09:00 PM
yes you can add gg bags in an ssv only. you can add a larger bag in an ss or straight launch if you have a playpen style instead of a walkthrough. this is the same with a mobius.

NateSSV
04-05-2004, 12:28 AM
For a Rookie wakeboarder, the stock ballast will do just fine. Keep in mind that the Supra SSV does throw a pretty fat (wide) wake with just the stock ballast. You may need to shorten up the rope as you start to jump the wake.

Have Fun!

silvtongdvl
04-06-2004, 04:13 PM
This past saturday I made stainless steel tanks for the back - each tank weighted 114lbs in metal and holds 300lbs in water. I believe the GG games sacks are only 350lbs. Stock bags are 250lbs. With my tanks in you can still put 3 lifejackets on top of each. If you don't have the 4 blade prop - you are going to need it with that much weight in the rear. Unless my boat came with the oversized bag in the front for some reason - I don't see how you could get a bigger one in there????
The wake is clean - large and shaped wonderful. Love my boat
~S~

mygreenmonster.com
04-08-2004, 10:00 AM
I just had my GG SSV out yesterday for the first time. I still only have the stock ballast bags, but the wake with the bags full and the wake plate all the way up was HUGE! I am used to Malibu VLX wakes with ballast full and the wedge down and I am tremendously impressed with the stock wake of my GG SSV. I was able to go BIG and hold my grabs nice and long. I had no trouble clearing both wakes and landing in the flats and I was 70' out.

I also have plenty of storage with all ballast bags filled up. Therefore, I don't have a reason to upgrade to the GG ballast bags. I do have a 4 blade prop which gives me plenty of "out of the hole" punch with my factory setup.

I am impressed! Good job on the GG edition SSV Supra!

Cheers,
Bryon

h2obug
04-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Bryon,

You could not ask for a better birthday present! Happy Birthday.

Just dont forget your boatless friends. 765-744-6310 Chris.

mygreenmonster.com
04-08-2004, 06:35 PM
It's not actually my birthday. I don't know how that date came up in the system, but I have corrected it to February. Anyway, it is a happy belated birthday present. And don't worry, I'll hook you up. I'll give you a call.

Cya,
Bryon

wakeeater
04-22-2004, 08:34 PM
i just got a 04 ssv & want to get some GG sacks. where can i get some?

h2obug
04-22-2004, 09:17 PM
You can order them from your Supra dealer

jflock2
05-01-2004, 02:57 AM
I agree with Bryon on the "lack of knowledge" from the dealership on this subject. My dealer had no idea at first, then ended up with 1,000lbs in the front and two 500's in the back. They want $840 for the GG bags. I found a dealer in Arkansas that says they are 1,000 in the front and twin 800's in the back. He quoted me $700. Does anyone know the weight for sure and is $700 the best deal out there?

jflock2
05-02-2004, 08:01 AM
silvtongdvl, how did you make your SS tanks? Any pics you could provide?

silvtongdvl
05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Shot me a e-mail at
[email protected]
I will send you some pics
I run a semi-tank trailer repair shop - we have lots of ss around.
~S~

jflock2
05-03-2004, 05:14 PM
My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks.

arrowride
05-06-2004, 01:15 AM
My dealer has told me the GG sacks are 2 550lbs in the rear and one 1200 lbs in the front. Does anyone relly know?

mygreenmonster.com
05-07-2004, 09:51 AM
I definitely am not sure. I currently have the standard ballast bags with quick release connecters and am VERY HAPPY with them. When they are full and the wake plate is up, I can clear both wakes, get a LOT OF POP, and LAND IN THE FLATS at 75' back going 24 miles per hour. With the standard bags full, I still have PLENTY OF STORAGE which is what I like.

I also know that the Gravity Games bags take up ALL of your rear storage and basement storage when full. Since I already have an excellent wake, I am not even going to get the gravity games bags. I recommend anyone with an SSV to give your factory ballast system a chance before you make a decision to upgrade or not.

05-13-2004, 11:52 AM
My dealer told me the GG bags are 800lb each on sides of engine and 1000 lbs in front. So I am assuming I have 2600lbs of weight with them full. I also add a 600lb to the back seat when there are only 2-3 of us because the wake is not as big as we would like without it.

krit
05-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Our dealer said the GG bags are 1000lb in front and 800lb on each side of engine. So I have always thought are ballast is 2600lbs.

When there are only 2-3 of us I also add another 600lb to the back seat.:)

Surfside Dan
05-26-2004, 02:29 AM
The gravity games boat and all SSV's come from the factory with their stock ballast.
It is about a 600 lbs sack in the fron and a 275lbs sack on each side of the motor.

It is not really allowed for the factory to allow ballast from the factory for some liability reasons. You can get the sacks from a dealer or barefoot Intl. They are fly-high sacks (same as factory). You will notice how large the sacks are if they are the aftermarket. Mike at BI told me his front sack is about 1200lbs (19x88) and the rears are (guessing) 600 each. I have the specs written down at my shop and can help anyone still wanting this info. I run the Fluid Concepts sacks in my boat 1000 in the front and 500s in the rear. You can see those at www.fluidconcepts.net

you can email me w/ any help looking for bags.
[email protected]

07-06-2004, 12:57 AM
I bought my new GG boat about 3 weeks ago and the factory ballast is 2 3oo pound sacks in the back and a 600 in the ski locker in the fromt. I added 2 bags of cement wrapped in duct tape really well on each side of the motor. adding an additional 360 pounds in the back and 2 bags of cement in the front to harden the wake. I tell you the wake is awsome. I got rid of my malibu for this boat and it was the best decision i ever made . later bros

GRAVITY04
07-06-2004, 12:58 AM
I bought my new GG boat about 3 weeks ago and the factory ballast is 2 3oo pound sacks in the back and a 600 in the ski locker in the fromt. I added 2 bags of cement wrapped in duct tape really well on each side of the motor. adding an additional 360 pounds in the back and 2 bags of cement in the front to harden the wake. I tell you the wake is awsome. I got rid of my malibu for this boat and it was the best decision i ever made . later bros

GRAVITY04
07-21-2004, 10:50 PM
the back sacks are 350 # and the front sack is 600 #.... Add additional 200 # in the rear and the wake is sick.

BigWaveDave
07-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Does anyone know what the dimensions of the standard SSV bags are? I am preparing to yank them and have custom tanks made for storage reasons. I ask because a larger bag could not fit anywhere in the boat and I wouuld like to know what I am working with. I have almost no storage when they are full, can barely get a vest on top of them without hitting the top of the trunk.

Thanks