PDA

View Full Version : Switch to electronic ignition

NeilMcg
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey everyone,

I've made myself dizzy in exploring options for converting my 87 SunSport from breaker points to elec. ignition (Ford 351W.) Some kits allow you to keep the distributor housing and just replace the internals. Others consist of replacing the entire system including the shaft that joins the camshaft as well as dist. housing. Then there is distributorless (auggh.) Since I have the proverbial limited amount of knowledge to %!@# up my engine, I would truly appreciate any advice. I'll post pics of before and after when I'm done.
Thanks,
Neil

csuggs
12-23-2009, 11:05 PM
First, find out what distributor you have. I have a Prestolite on my 86 Sunsport with 351W. Then get yourself an electronic conversion kit. It's easy to install with the directions - just changes out the internal part of the distributor where the points are, and you have to attach a couple of wires. The easiest thing to do is to go to www.skidim.com and they will help you get the right parts. Easy conversion and worth the time and money. I bought a Pertronix Ignitor from skidim and it works great!

OUI
12-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Best prices by far for an electronic conversion

http://www.marineengineparts.com/

jet
12-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Best upgrade ever! Do it..just buy the $99 version is all you need. It took 10 mins to change out, and my boat has started on the 1st try ever time now for 4-5 years now. Super easy. Jet