PDA

View Full Version : Ford 351 Motor Rebuild

Foxrat
12-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Hi Everyone
I have started to reasemble my new engine after I found the block had cracked and replaced with a remanufactured block, I have sandblasted and repainted the whole engine but was trying to find the torque settings for all the bolts on the motor including the rocker arms etc.
Does anybody know where I may be able to find this info?

1989 Ford 351 Winsor Motor
Thanks for all the advice so far, Cant wait to get the boat going and try her out.

csuggs
12-24-2009, 06:51 AM
I have them in my PCM manual. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the .pdf file - I have the entire service manual scanned so I can send that to you or just the pages that you need. -Clint

docdrs
12-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Fox, Do you have any pics?

michael hunter
12-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Fox
I checked in the PCM owners manual and a web search and didnt find torque specs.
If you go to your local library they will have the info in the reference section.
Also the PCM owners manuals are available on the Planet Nautique forum.

csuggs
12-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Fox
I checked in the PCM owners manual and a web search and didnt find torque specs.
If you go to your local library they will have the info in the reference section.
Also the PCM owners manuals are available on the Planet Nautique forum.

It's not in the PCM owners manual - it's in the PCM FOrd Engines Repair and Diagnostic Procedures Manual. I have it and can send it via email.

csuggs
12-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Anthony - check your email. You should have the information you need, but let me know if there is something else.

86Pirata454
12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
brothers performance has a whole list on the website. yes its for mustangs but all the specs should be the same

Foxrat
12-28-2009, 01:47 AM
Anthony - check your email. You should have the information you need, but let me know if there is something else.

Thanks Clint
Started putting the bits on last night.
The reason I'm rebuilding the motor is I bought the boat with the motor been possibly in a freeze, Come to find it cracked the block and mixed water into the oil, The motor had 820 hrs on it and was running fine before the freeze.
I only paid $2000 for the boat and trailer and have about $800 in the motor so far so im doing good as the boat is in good shape with only one owner.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Good job, keep up the hard work

chautauquasun
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Question - I have seen short and long block 351W motors I guess I never knew there where two different versions of the small block 351W. I am assuming our boats use the short block. Is that correct? Can anyone shed some light on the difference between a short and long block?

I have seen complete motors on Craigslist for $200. My motor seems to be fine but I have always wanted to learn how to rebuild a motor. Maybe stroke it while I am at it and drop it in the boat someday or have a spare in case mine goes bad.

csuggs
01-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Dan - there is no difference in the block of a short and long block motor. The difference is in the additional "stuff" your buying with the block. For instance, a true "short block" is just the block with probably the crankshaft, cylinder liners, pistons, etc. A "long block" would include more like the intake manifold, heads, etc. Blocks are the same.