PDA

View Full Version : Best Tower Speakers and Woofers

syrupdawg
12-26-2009, 07:54 AM
What kind of tower speakers and amplifiers are you guys running? What kind of woofer? What sizes? Im trying to decide and I want to make sure I get a good system.

jonyb
12-26-2009, 08:27 AM
You're budget is the most important part....

Wet Sounds Syn6 on the towers, Syn4 on the in-boats, and 2 Syn1's for the 2 XXX 12's.

syrupdawg
12-26-2009, 04:20 PM
not too worried about the budget just want a great system

jonyb
12-27-2009, 12:13 AM
What boat do you have? There are several different options, it just depends on how deep your pockets are. Do you have any local car audio dealers? Give me some ideas of what you want and what boat you have and I can put something together to give you a general idea. You're location is important too.... Maybe you should update your profile or add some stuff about yourself.

syrupdawg
12-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I have a '99 launch 21' I live in south, ga just above tallahassee, fl. I have a few car audio dealers. I have always been a fan of JL audio but they dont have any tower speakers with chrome cans.

jasonba1
12-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I would go with wetsounds and use jonyb he does awesome work and his prices are great

syrupdawg
12-27-2009, 08:44 PM
where are you located jonyb?

jonyb
12-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Paducah KY.... That's about 2 hours north of Nashville, TN.

With Wet Sounds, you get black or white cans. They just unveiled a new line of speaker cans that are pretty inexpensive. For $499/pair, they're not bad and the speakers in them are great. http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SST-65.html

Otherwise you could get a set of polished cans from DIY wake and put your own speakers in them. For that I'd recommend the XS-650's at $199/pair. The cans are around $150 if you shop around.

JL makes good equipment, but it's pricey. For the same price or a little more I think the Wet Sounds is a better choice for a boat. I've given mine and my customers a lot of abuse and they've all stood up to it. If not, the customer service is great from WS. They really stand behind their product *coughcough*.

Again, budget is important. I could quote you a $12,000 system, or a $2000 system, but thats a waste of time if it doesn't fit the bill for you. I have a Centurion in the shop right now from Indanapolis, which is 8 hours away from me. I suggest you shop around locally to see what's out there. If you're not happy with those results, I'll be more than glad to give you some advice. Or directions if you feel like driving.

syrupdawg
12-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Alright thanks. I have been looking at the wet sounds 3-some. Im not sure what amp to run it. If you could help me build a system I could probably just get a local audio shop to wire it up for me. I want 6 total component speakers in the boat 4 in the back and 2 in the front. Then I want the tower speakers( i have pretty much settled on the 3-some) and I want 1 subwoofer. Can you help point me in the direction of what amps and component speakers would work good together? Thanks

jonyb
12-27-2009, 11:52 PM
If you want the 3-Some, you'll need the Syn6 to power it. That's what I've done in my boat, and what WS recommends. That puts 600W on the Pro485 in the center, and 300W to each Pro80.

For in-boats, use the WS XS-650's or SS65's. The 65's are easier on power and are a little cheaper. I've got 6 650's in my boat just as you've mentioned you want. They're powered by a Syn4. The trick with the 650's is that they meter at around 3.7ohm for each speaker. When you tie 4 of them to 2-channels of the amp, the impedance is below 2 ohm, and most amps won't play that low. The Syn4 does, just fine.

For a sub, the 12"XXX and Syn1 is a perfect combo. I've done several of those in other boats, and have 2 of those in mine. Very loud. The Syn1 is plenty of power for the XXX at 1000W mono. Not familiar with your boat, but in mine I managed to get 1 under the helm in a ported enclosure without any loss of footroom.

You can check the prices on Wet Sounds' page, but that's all retail. You'll have to call me for pricing on any equipment. I'll make it worth your while.

Under the helm:

http://jonyb.webs.com/photos/07-Supra-Gravity-Games/DSC_7276.jpg

Port side:

http://jonyb.webs.com/photos/07-Supra-Gravity-Games/DSC_7275.jpg

More pics:
http://jonyb.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7465465
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/

syrupdawg
12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
can you pm with your number. I appreciate it! Thanks for the help.

jonyb
12-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Sure.........

EarmarkMarine
12-29-2009, 04:17 PM
syrupdawg,

We absolutely have JL Audio 7.7-inch tower speakers (in both coaxials and components) in chrome hand spun aluminum pods. Plus, the JL speakers are available with titanium (black/charcoal) or white grills in both classic and sport patterns. We even have chromed billet grills for the JLs for something really custom.

Here's a look at the murdered out version which is also avaiable in all chrome.

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/set24/large/item-2/hpim0157.jpg
http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/set24/large/item-2/p1020784.jpg

David
Earmark Marine
[email protected]

cmtaylor777
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Anyone lookin to get rid of some wet sounds tower speakers? Preferably a 3 some???????

jasonba1
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
talk to jonyb he can steer you in the right direction

nmorale
01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Those Jl's look killer on that tower! :cool:

nmorale
01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
I am new to this boating stuff as you guys might have noticed with all the questions I have been asking..

I bought a bunch of MB Quart marine audio stuff like 2 big 4 channel amps and 6 sets of coax speakers and a set of seprates but now I am looking around and it seems like everyone is using Wetsounds or JL. I use to be big into car audio and I know that Quarts work good in car audio but I am not so sure about how they are in marine applications..

Can anyone let me in the proper direction?

If I need to I will unload all the stuff I already bought and just buy new stuff I just want to get a sound system in my boat that will rock the water & bring the party to life!

jonyb
01-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I recommend the Wet Sounds, but MB Quart is good too. You don't exactly have to have marine grade equipment, but that's only if the amps or electronics will not get wet. And you don't use paper cone'd speakers. If you've got the stock Roswell light bar, they can be trimmed out to install the Wet Sounds XS-650's. If you haven't heard those speakers you really should. They sound totally different then most car audio speakers.

Another thing you should be aware of. Someone on ebay and the net is selling fake MB Quart stuff. If it's really cheap, then more then likely it's fake.

nmorale
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I bought the marine MB Quarts and I just bought two of the 4 channel mobile amps they are the Discus series.

And I do have the Roswell Tower..

Would you use the XS-650's in the tower over going with a pair of PRO 485's?

Also what about the Wetsounds amps? Sound I look into gettting some of those? I want to run 4 sets of interior speakers and then the tower speakers.

jonyb
01-08-2010, 03:55 PM
A pair of 485's? If you're wanting to lose the Roswell cans and use the Wet Sounds, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're party coving or at a beach a lot, I'd say use to Pro 80's and 2 MB-8's. If you're looking to be loud, a 3-Some is the best choice IMO. The MB-8's will have a ton more midbass, the 3-some is just loud....

For the amps, they recommend the Syn6 for the 3-some, that way there's 600W on the 485, and 150W to each Pro80. Same amp for the 80's/MB-8's with the MB-8's on channel 5-6 and 1-4 bridged on the 80's.

If you use 4 pair of 650's, the Syn4 would do the job, but you'd need another amp for the towers.

ronixrider82
01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
If you want the best and the loudest I would go with wetsounds. I have the pair of 485's with the syn 4 amp powering them. That is what Omar with wetsound's told me to roll with. Here are some pics of what they would look like on a supra

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/gallery/installations/supra/supra.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs&feature=related

And there is the proof right there. Good luck!

tg0824SSVGG
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
If you want the best and the loudest I would go with wetsounds. I have the pair of 485's with the syn 4 amp powering them. That is what Omar with wetsound's told me to roll with. Here are some pics of what they would look like on a supra

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/gallery/installations/supra/supra.html

HOLY SCHNIKES!! I bet with the stereo cranked and just the tower speakers on, that boat doesn't even need the motor running to move forward, just
the sound could push you FAST!!!

Wow - that's some $$ on that tower, and must be a lot of other expensive
gear IN the boat to drive all that.

EarmarkMarine
01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
nmorale,

In any case, go with HLCDs on your tower rather than in-boat speakers.

You can retrofit your Roswell with four HollowPoint 650 HLCDs. Here's a video at over 400 feet with HollowPoints. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWv-39ftIZo They're the best possible in your existing pods.

If you want the most powerful and accurate HLCDs you just can't beat the larger displacement, larger horns and component 8-inch midbass drivers in the WetSounds Pro485. And a pair of 485s driven by a SYN 4 is a perfect marriage.

So there's two excellent options covering two different price points.

David
Earmark Marine

bjeremi
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Krypt has thier 6.5" HLCD on sale right now for $175 for a pair. Cannot beat that. I had to pick up a set. Okieboarder is coming after my old amp now lol since I had to upgrade. We'll both end up with some decent sound on the tower lol.

Okie Boarder
01-11-2010, 01:06 PM
bjeremi already sold me his old Kicker KMT6's. I plan to push those with the Kicker KX450.2 or ZX450.2. Hopefully I can buy that from him and not someone else ;-)

I agree with the statement on HLCD style. I would also say that it is important to drive them with enough power. To get the best and most projected sound, it seems that pushing the speakers with the right amp makes one of the biggest differences.

I would thinking matching RMS power is a big one and quality would go right along with that.

bjeremi
01-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Okie, if my bro doesn't take it you will def get it on the cheap! Hijack over.

Launch SL
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Love Kicker

87SunSportMikeyD
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
For the record I love my five channel amp and I love only having one amp! It's a bit budget but it sounds great to me. :)
http://www.millionbuy.com/crup50005.html

ronixrider82
01-19-2010, 03:52 PM
HOLY SCHNIKES!! I bet with the stereo cranked and just the tower speakers on, that boat doesn't even need the motor running to move forward, just
the sound could push you FAST!!!

Wow - that's some $$ on that tower, and must be a lot of other expensive
gear IN the boat to drive all that.

If you think that then look at this set up lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-4qQvueUN8

EarmarkMarine
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
For anyone considering Krypt Audio products you might want to first read this thread:

Caveat-Emptor-specials (http://www.centurioncrew.com/Caveat-Emptor-specials-t1830.html)

jonyb
01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Wow.... I've seen where Ken (Bullet-Lines) was accused a while back of having some other knock-off's of something.

jet
01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
OK..I'm going to say it. Wetsounds are horn speakers, yes they are loud!! But I thought a regular speaker was a step up from that. Horn speakers were used in the 70's in the old cabinet stereos. Why go backwards for volume. Horns are used at baseball parks and football stadiums because you want volume not good crisp sound. Horn speakers have a horny sound to them?? Not great clean crisp sound?? is this just a pissing contest for volume? Jet

jet
01-21-2010, 12:29 AM
I would like to put this on wakeworld but I'm scared I will get my ass handed to me. LOL

jonyb
01-21-2010, 12:41 AM
I'd retract that statement about the Wet Sounds tower speakers until you've heard them.

TayTay
01-21-2010, 02:48 AM
I have Fusion T Series 3-Way Combo speakers on my tower. I bought them because I didn't see any BAD reviews on them and they were a good price. I think I paid around $400 for a pair, (6 speakers total).

Does anybody know about these. I never did find a Fusion website or anything. They work ok but eventually I wouldn't mind upgrading.

jonyb
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Fusion is out of business. Most of their stuff was bought out and ebay'd for cheap.

EarmarkMarine
01-21-2010, 12:16 PM
TayTay,

I believe Fusion (the brand you're speaking of) has been out of business for a while. They certainly had some great cosmetics. FYI, the drivers and Diamond Audio.

jet,

There's all kinds of horns for all types of applications. In a sense you are correct in that HLCDs are not the most linear speaker when heard at a five foot rage. However, they should be judged under the conditions for which they were intended... At 70 feet back and competing against the exhaust and other environmental noise. In this application conventional speakers will pale in comparison.

Also, we're doing some interesting things with active processing that bring a warmer tone to HCLDs for listening under more tranquil conditions. So you can have it both ways.

David
Earmark Marine

TayTay
01-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Fusion is out of business. Most of their stuff was bought out and ebay'd for cheap.

Hence the great deal I got on ebay, haha. I did some more research though and found the diamond setup that encased. Like I said, they work fine for now but would like to eventually upgrade.

SyrupDawg, might be something to think about if you're looking for a budget speaker. There are still some out there online.... Or just get something top notch right off the bat. Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

Brianinpdx
01-31-2010, 03:28 AM
I enjoyed the read on this thread. I spend a fair amount of time on your sister site answering Moooomba Q's with David and few others, about the crazy stereo world we live in.

I somewhat chuckled about the comments on WW. Yes that crowd can turn into piranhas and eat their own fast. We all have opinions about this audio stuff... mine is regardless of the brand, we should try to keep things on the high road and be keeping it all good!

There is actually a pretty good thread active over there where people are discussing near field and fair field tower speaker applications. Some good info for sure.

In anycase, just a friendly hello to the Supra crowd. If anything comes up question wise on my gear, feel free to hit me up and I'll help ya out.

peace,

-Brian
Exile Audio

jonyb
01-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Good to have you here Brian.