PDA

View Full Version : Boat Beeping?

Chachi
12-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Quick question... I went out to the pull barn today and noticed there is a beeping coming from my boat (1993 Supra Sunsport). I can't pinpoint the sound because there is a cover on it. So I was wondering if anyone knows why and where it is coming from. My guess it has has to do with the battery. Any info would be great. Thanks everyone,

Chris

mapleleaf
12-26-2009, 04:46 PM
probably a low voltage warning... I pull my batteries in the winter and put them in the basement on a piece of wood, also put them on a charging cycle so they're fresh come spring time.....

csuggs
12-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I think Leaf is right - low battery. Pulling the battery for layup and putting it on a float charger is a great idea. Unless you have a deep cycle battery, then I think they recommend letting it drain, then charge, drain, etc.

docdrs
12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
no gel or flooded battery should be allowed to go to a discharged state for very long, this will reduce the life of the battery. You should also not allow your battery to freeeze as this will kill a battery quicker. it is best to keep a battery at or near full charge as above to lengthen its life.

Chachi
12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Well come to find out it was the RV in the pullbarn that was beeping but I disconnected the battery and brought it in the house. Do you guys think I should wait till spring to hook it up to the trickle charger or should it be done throughout the winter?

docdrs
12-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Through out the winter, at least once a month, and kept in a warm place, like the basement. on concrete is fine if the concrete is room temp as well like the basement. its cold concrete in a cold garage that will drain a battery quick. buy a cheap digital voltmeter a
100% charged 12 volt battery will read ~12.73 volts
80% --12.50volts
70 --12.37
50 --12.10
20 --11.81

you should never let your battery get below a 80% discharge or 20% charge value, its like overheating your engine- damage unknown, but never good
charge the battery if falls below 70%
add distilled water to top up batteries if needed
a float charge should be ~ 13.2 volts

Ed G
12-30-2009, 07:59 PM
what is a "flooded" battery?

I've heard this term several times this week and have no idea what it means.

docdrs
12-30-2009, 08:07 PM
A flooded battery is a wet or lead acid battery. Like a car battery and most boat batteries. The electrolyte level has to be topped up periodically due to water evaporation. An AGM battery has the electrolyte suspended in a gel or fibreglass mat

heres some good reading
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/pdf.folder/Download%20folder/battery_maint.pdf

Ed G
12-30-2009, 08:11 PM
A wet Cell! Oh, OK. Gotcha.

Why don't they just call it a wet cell, it's even easier to type.

I was thinking "flooded" was something negative - no pun intended their either

docdrs
12-30-2009, 08:22 PM
BTW i checked out Martha ....Sweet lookin lady......but then i am partial to black :rolleyes:

boats that is ,maybe cars too