PDA

View Full Version : Plug-in trickle charger

Fman
12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Has anyone installed a plug-in 110v trickle charger for there batteries? Looking to add this into my boat. If anyone has a recommendation please pass it on my way.

Thanks....

csuggs
12-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I've used one that I got from Harbor Freight Tools - they call it a float charger. I don't know if there is any difference between a trickle charger and a float charger or if it's just a name.

Fman
12-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I've used one that I got from Harbor Freight Tools - they call it a float charger. I don't know if there is any difference between a trickle charger and a float charger or if it's just a name.

Ok, my next question... with dual batteries, do you need one on each battery? Or will hooking up to one battery keep both of them charged?

csuggs
12-27-2009, 06:48 PM
My guess is that one charger will keep both of them charged, just as your one alternator keeps both of them charged when you're running the boat. Is one of them a deep cycle battery?

jonyb
12-27-2009, 07:35 PM
1 charger per battery Travis. Keep the battery switch off while charging though.

I used Stinger 6A/hour charger's on my batteries, but that charger is designed for the Stinger dry-cell batteries only. All chargers are hard-wired to the batteries. The 110V side cords go under the panels and plug into a 3-way 12G receptacle that's screwed down in the ballast locker. I have a 50' 12G cord that's rolled up and hangs on a hook. When I get back to our camper, my shop, or the dock, all I have to do is throw the cord out and plug it in. The batteries and charger have all been relocated to under the rear bench seat behind the cooler/melter. My alternator can't even think about charging any of these batteries considering the size and voltage draw of the stereo, so I plug these in after every use of the boat. The SP800 runs the boat and accessories, the 2 SP1500's power the stereo only.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/DSC_7208.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/DSC_7209.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/DSC_7210.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/DSC_7211.jpg

Fman
12-27-2009, 07:54 PM
That is a great looking setup, you are running some serious batteries, I would love to hear your system. I am looking for something fairly basic to just keep the two batteries good for the winter months. The Harbor Freight float charger looks like it might be an option.

Do you have any recommendations for a basic plug-in style float charger?

jonyb
12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I knew a lot of that wouldn't apply to you but thought I'd post up anyway....

As for a trickle charger, most any of them would do. I wouldn't leave them on too long though. I've got a few Battery Tender's that I've used on my lawnmower and motorcycle, but some of those aren't strong enough to bring a Marine battery up to charge.

csuggs
12-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice set-up JonyB!

tg0824SSVGG
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Travis -- see this thread for what charger I put into my boat last spring.
It's made for 2 batteries - I know this same company makes them for 1-5 battery
banks. I have no idea how good/bad this brand is, it seemed to have decent
reviews when I got it.

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=13655&postcount=17

I got it from batterystuff.com I think.

87SunSportMikeyD
12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Good lord Jon that battery setup is wild. Must have taken a while to get that just right. Very neat too.

But for a simple 2-batt setup Todd's looks nice and simple. If you are running just two batts, your alt should do this job for you, I would think... Have you upgraded your alt? At least in my boat the factory alt was 35amp and I upgraded to a high quality 105amp exact bolt on, no issues, for $75.

jaywidhalm
12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I knew a lot of that wouldn't apply to you but thought I'd post up anyway....

As for a trickle charger, most any of them would do. I wouldn't leave them on too long though. I've got a few Battery Tender's that I've used on my lawnmower and motorcycle, but some of those aren't strong enough to bring a Marine battery up to charge.

Most float chargers/tenders now days do have an auto shut off. When the battery gets up to proper charge it will shut off, that way you don't have to worry. Harbor freight should have what you need.

docdrs
12-28-2009, 06:40 PM
has anyone used a charger/maintainer on a dual battery setup with a VSR, curious if the vsr chatters due to the low out put in maintenance setting.

BTW sweet set up Jonyb

jonyb
12-29-2009, 02:08 AM
X2 on the alternator like Mikey said, very wise purchase.

Thanks for the props on my install guys....

OUI
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
You can buy trickle chargers on eBay for $10.00 buy two and you'll be covered for both batteries.

Fman
12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
You can buy trickle chargers on eBay for $10.00 buy two and you'll be covered for both batteries.

I just picked up a couple float chargers from Harbor Freight for $4 each with auto shut-off... how can you not like that store, its got some cool stuff in it.