PDA

View Full Version : handle and rope

sidetracked3
12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
I am looking to get a new wakeboard handle and rope. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

87SunSportMikeyD
12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
The most popular right now is the Proline LG leathergrip. This years are supossed to float great. They do not have any kind of anti-roll bar. The new Straightline/LF BennyG is a nice looking handle with anti roll.

I have not been a fan of the wake rope w/ plastic covering. But I have heard the new ones are better and dont get cracked up all over.

Chachi
12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah i was wondering about this too. I was looking at the LF Shane handle in white. Is this a good handle to rely on? Also, is spectra line the best way to go or are there other options that are out there?

thescott
12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
The proline LG is really nice. But from my experience the grip doesn't last too long. I've been through a few. I went through an '08, and '09, and I just got the '10 LG1 under warranty before my last outing of the season. The claim is that the '10 stuff holds up better, but time will tell. I've also got a proline answer handle which is a "lower end" model. It's a foam grip with a diamond pattern. Comfy and has held up better than the LG for me. As far as the rope. I really like the coated lines when it comes to storage. Wrap it up nice a few times and it develops a memory and wraps soooo nice every time. But get one knot in it and it's done - the coating will split(edit - my only experience w/ coated lines has been proline. other coated lines may not fail so easily). Also, if you have any little rippers on the boat, a coated lint prevents you from shortening the rope beyond 60' (think that's the #...or whatever) If you have any little ones behind the boat that are close to being able to clear the wake, helps to be able to bring the line in a couple feet. Easily achieved with a non-coated line. Will RUIN a coated one. So yeah, with a line, I'd recommend a non-coated non-stretch line - probably any brand will do - all my stuff is proline...but for no particular reason really other than I got good deals. Also, dealing with the Connelly warranty department has been such a smooth pleasant process (Connelly - maker of CWB, Connelly skis, etc owns proline). As far as the handle, its really rider preference. There are sooo many handles out there. Rubber grip, foam, leather cover...soft, hard, etc etc. If you have a pro shop near you, go check some out.

thescott
12-31-2009, 12:42 AM
Sorry...that was really long winded w/ not a lot of useful info...I've had a few black and tans...

mapleleaf
12-31-2009, 09:14 AM
informative nevertheless, I feel like I learned something!

jasonba1
12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
hey mapleleaf I maybe able to hook you up check you pm

RED WINE ROCKER
12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Sorry...that was really long winded w/ not a lot of useful info...I've had a few black and tans...

OK....I'll grab a few black & tans, then re-read it.;)

87SunSportMikeyD
12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
I thought it was a good post Scott hehe. Have not seen any issue with my 09 LGT (triangle - nice) but I have only had it a few months. Might be slightly diff construction too. Pics in my signature gallery. Good prices at $65 and great warrenty.

I would stay away from carbon handles personally. I have one and it just feels funny. There is NO give to it, so when you land tricks it can be tough to keep a firm grip. I also feel that it was tough on my tennis elbow.

I'm not very picky about what handle I use, but my whole crew has baby hands. Gotta search for the soft ones.

The Shane should be fine, it sold great with no complaints that I heard. The grip is somewhat hard but smooth.

jonyb
12-31-2009, 07:25 PM
I used Helium ropes and handles last year. Just picked up an 80' Helium Mainline from ebay for $29.

I've got an older Proline handle and line that's a few years old, but the handle didn't float worth a crap.

thescott
12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Yup - good point about the floating. I will however confirm that has been fixed in the '10 product. My 08 and 09 LG and my 08 answer handles from proline did NOT float. The '10 floats great.