PDA

View Full Version : prepping for paint....

mapleleaf
12-31-2009, 09:05 AM
In the next couple months I'll be pulling the windshield, stainless, etc. in preparation for a paint job, I've got some considerable chipping in the gelcoat, abuse and old age I suspect. Just wondering what I should be filling these chips with??

csuggs
01-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Are you looking for a paint job or are you going to have a colored gel-coat sprayed on? Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think there is some advantage to having a gel-coat sprayed on as opposed to paint. I would think that would determine what you would use to fill the chips.

mapleleaf
01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm not too sure Clint, Seems like the people I've talked to, who've had their boats painted with a marine suitable paint, have been satisfied with the results. I think a new gelcoat might be out of the budget for this boat.... I've got a local autobody who'll paint it, we're not sure if I'm providing the paint or he is and we haven't nailed down a price, but he's done a few cars/trucks for friends and I know his work great and reasonably priced. I'm hoping to shoulder some of the prep to cut back on his price. obviously will be waiting until things warm up, but will try to fill sand and prime where needed so that he's left with just the topcoat.....

csuggs
01-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Sounds good. Freshing-up the factory colors, or making some changes?

mapleleaf
01-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Well..... I think a little of both. My interior choices aren't working well with my off white gelcoat, so I'd like to make the bulk of the hull white, and haven't decided about the top of the gunnels, maybe chaRcoal with an orange stripe??? not to sure, but I think it is going to be paint. A close friend of mine has recently taken up pinstriping and is doing some amazing work. There's a chance I'll let him do his thing and hope for the best. It is also the middle of winter and very easy to dream, closer to boating season we'll have to see!!!!!
Think bondo would work or am I headed for epoxy filler in my chips????

csuggs
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know for sure, but I would think an epoxy would do the trick. Maybe someone else on here knows more about that. Hey - charcoal grey and orange are my colors too! Jim is planning to replace the factory light blue wave and water-line stripe with grey to match the charcoal grey up near the rub rail. And he is going to add an orange stripe above the grey stripe at the waterline. The interior colors are a very light grey base, with medium grey and orange accents on the side panels and motor box. No more teak on the interior - just up around the windshield and around the top of the gunwales. The teak rail around the stern will be eliminated and replaced with flat teak trim like what is on the rest of the boat. New carpet will also be a medium grey.
How are you doing the colors on yours?

mapleleaf
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I think I want your boat!!!, I've basically been doing a pearl and charcoal interior, bulk being pearl, but I haven't touched the bow or walk through cushion so maybe there's still time for some orange. I just love the way the newer boat's look with this color combo. All seat inserts have been charcoal and the rest pearl. The problem is my boat's original color is like an almond and the pearl kinda looks funny against it. That and it's full of chips, and gouges. My new carpet is grey and I love it, getting rid of the rose colored interior has been awesome!
Really can't wait to see your boat when it's back from Jim's place, those updates should look amazing......

csuggs
01-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah - I can't wait to get it back either. Let's see some pics of your new interior - it sounds like a great combination!

87SunSportMikeyD
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Not an expert so I was hesitant to chime in. But I went out and found basic 2-part marine epoxy and it worked great. Just sand it down afterwards and then paint, I would think..

dshaff24
01-05-2010, 01:09 AM
After I get my stringers done and hull backtogether my whole boat will be painted with new interior! Talk about alot of stress and a ton of watching wakeboarding on youtube! lol Anyway just remember when you paint your boat that you NEED to make sure you SAND everyWHERE! Prepping is what makes a paint job last ESP on a boat!! As mikey said you will use epoxy filler or actaul gel coat filler! Search YOUTUBE, There is a lot of awesome videos that will give you a good idea on how it works! Also when I was at the last boat show in pittsburgh there was 2 different boat painting company's there and both of them wanted to paint my speedboat for 3-4k lol , Anyway I was just Bs' with them just to fill them out and they both said a good Quaility Car Base/Clear is all you need! Another option is emron paint, Its a very tough paint that is a single stage and usually sprayed on heavy equipment, firetrucks,trailers etc etc but it is VERY TOXIC