PDA

View Full Version : Towing with 98 2dr S10 Blazer

04Gravity
01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I have a 1992 Comp Ts6m. How much does it weigh with trailer?

I own a 98 2dr 4x4 S10 Blazer. Chevy says towing capacity is 5500# but Reese hitch only says 400# tongue 4000# overall

Can I do it?

mapleleaf
01-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Most likely you have a class 2 hitch on the blazer, could be upgraded, but shouldn't need to be, I've got a '90 Conbrio (comp hull) and I'd have to check, but am pretty sure it's about 2700lb's with out gas....that should leave plenty left for the blazer!!!!

docdrs
01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
an 86 comp is listed at 2500 dry so gas trailer and acces. should come in under 3500

csuggs
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Agreed, I don't think you'll have any trouble pulling it as long as you have the 4.3 motor - and make sure your brakes are good!

michael hunter
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Short wheel base vehicles dont do well towing. For short runs it will probubly be OK. Make sure the trailer brakes are good and keep the speed down. Is it a single or tandem trailer?
In an emergency the boat may steer the truck.

sybrmike
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I had an early 90's S-10 4x4 2 dr blazer & tried abusing it off road, but it didn't hold up too well (grenaded the 5 speed, sheared wheel studs, etc.). So be careful - it's not a full size truck, but a comp's not that heavy of a boat. Like others said, watch the short wheelbase, good brakes, & be prudent with the drivetrain (stops/starts, inclines, overloading, etc.) - I think it'll be fine.

Of course, this from someone who pulled 4000lbs of early 70's 21' VIP tri-hull thru the hills of Austin with an 82 Trans AM 4 speed...

Mani
01-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Short wheel base vehicles dont do well towing. For short runs it will probubly be OK. Make sure the trailer brakes are good and keep the speed down. Is it a single or tandem trailer?
In an emergency the boat may steer the truck.

I second that!

04Gravity
01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Its a single trailer. It does not have brakes

csuggs
01-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Trailer with no brakes - just be real careful and give yourself plenty of room to stop. We used to pull an American Skier (same size as Comp) with a front wheel drive 2-door Grand Am because that's all we had at the time. The problem was that the car couldn't get traction on the ramp because of the tongue weight on the rear and no weight on the front wheels - so we had to use the momentum of the boat as it was loading onto the trailer to get the car started up the ramp. As soon as the car driver felt the bump of the boat on against the bow stop, he would gas it up the ramp! Not very smart, I know, but when you've got it bad for skiing and no other tow vehicle, you just do what ya gotta do! :shock:

jonyb
01-05-2010, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't. Just because the capacity says that, or the hitch says one thing, doesn't mean it'll work. You're taking a huge chance on life and hurting yourself or someone else.

They've already mentioned brakes, the transmission would hate you after it started and stopped twice, and I'm sure the trailer would throw the back-end all over the place.

Buy a real truck. I see them all day long for the same price as what you've got and I'm sure fuel mileage is just as good. Those little Blazers and other mid-size trucks/SUVs don't get any better fuel economy then a full-size. Most people use that excuse not to buy a full-size, but it's not a valid argument.

dshaff24
01-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I hate to sound like an outlaw but when I bought my first speedboat I owned a 00 chevy s10 zr2 package and towed my boat really well for such a small truck, In fact the police watched me launch my boat @ cheat lake Wv and they said " im surprised that boat didn't pull your truck in the water" haha a Comp is half the boat my speedboat was so Id say your safe! When I was a child my father had a 5 spd 2.8l 87 blazer and in 96 we bought a new four winns 21 ft and if that dog of a 2.8 l tugged that boat around then I wouldn't worry about a 4.3L with 80 more hp

This was my previous boat that I towed it with my 00 zr2 s10 automatic, After the zr2 I bought a 2500 dodge cummins sport which made towing a breeze but I felt like It was a job to drive that truck around daily so I bought a 1500 chevy and love it! Basically when using a midsized vehical you have to be VERY aware of your surroundings
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22345274/370648128.jpg

michael hunter
01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Single axle trailer? No brakes? Two reasons to get a big tow vehicle or change the trailer. If you have a blowout at speed I'm afraid you will become a passenger.

04Gravity
01-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Selling it is not an option seeing as its not mine to begin with. Its my fathers. I will only be borrowing it on the weekends to take the boat to the lake. Its about a 30min drive. My father said he would be willing to put some money into the suspension to beef it up a little bit. What could I do? New leaf spring helpers? shocks? bigger brakes? Tranny cooler?

chautauquasun
01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
A 30 minute drive on weekends....I would not worry about anything. It will be fine...just take it slow and steady and you will be fine.

csuggs
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
A 30 minute drive on weekends....I would not worry about anything. It will be fine...just take it slow and steady and you will be fine.

Yep - Caution care, and as always - good brakes. You'll be fine. A longer trip through mountains, etc and I'd feel differently. I am a firm believer that when it comes to towing trailers (and I have towed many of different types across the country) bigger is better, but for what you've got there I would feel comfortable as long as the blazer is mechanically sound.

Okie Boarder
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
It seems you'd be a little undersized but could do it if you are careful. Since you don't have the option of something else, here's the precautions I would take...

1. Drive 5-10 mph under the speed limit when feasible.
2. Give yourself plenty of room for stopping.
3. Have good tires and especially good brakes.
4. Be prepared that if something happens suddenly, that boat may take your blazer for a ride (Like Micheal said).

It will likely tow just fine, but you will need to be most concerned about stopping and evasion situations. Full size trucks are rated higher for towing not because of what they can pull but what they can stop and control.

jonyb
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
So you're borrowing someone else's truck to tow your boat? Someone else's truck that IMO is not capable of towing what you're throwing at it. People are gonna say that it's okay to do this. You'll never know it's unsafe until have have an accident. The people that say it's okay are under the false impression that "it won't happen to them".

86Pirata454
01-05-2010, 10:53 PM
id be leary because the transmissions arent that great on that truck.

sybrmike
01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Wanted to clarify my previous post. Just because the S-10 may be able to tow that boat doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Yes, you can mitigate the damage to the driveline and chances of an accident with prudent driving. However, I once hade to white-knuckle through an unseen intersection while towing a backhoe with an overloaded full size blazer. Another time, I got squirrelly, swerving lane-to-lane towing that same old VIP tri-hull with an Olds 98. Sure, both vehicles could pull the loads - but neither were designed to haul that kind of weight safely. I got lucky (ah, the bulletproofness of youth), but never want either of those experiences again.

You might try towing the combo under some "controlled" conditions to see how it feels and responds to braking, swerving, etc. It'll let you know. Just be safe & remember you have to be ready and able to respond to the actions of the idiots out there (defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning while towing at the limits).

docdrs
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
I really don't think the type of vehicle you are towing with should dictate the amount of care and awareness you use. If you are not comfortable towing then you shouldn't. Mechanical failures can occur anytime, on old vehicles and new. Common sense and keeping cool under misadventures are a must. Some people should not tow anything as we all see them driving recklessly down the road. Some people should not even be driving! If your vehicle isn't properly maintained then you are asking for problems. Tires on your vehicle and trailer have to be properly inflated and should not be older than 5 years. Uderinflation will lead to tire failure and blow outs,on the trailer not a huge problem if you keep cool, on a front vehicle tire is a whole other issue. Tire pressure should be checked every time you tow old trailer tires may look fine but a slow inperceptable leak over a weekend will lead to heat build up and failure. If its a first time for the trailer check the lug nuts yourself for tightness...i have seen all 5 unscrew . Use capacities as a guide, never exceed them, and again common sense. Its very easy to toast a new transmission easier, an old one. Transmissions don't last forever and less if you tow like a maniac longer if you baby them and don't heat them up . As far as brakes , enough has been said. Its all common sense.....its just that some people don't have too much of it. Would you put your kid in the boat and trailer it ? You should feel that comfortable! Use that as a speed guide on the road.
Tire balance on trailes is another issue if you plan on doing significant highway
highway trailering. Always amazes me how some one will balance their $40'000
truck tires every year but doesn't think about their $40,000 boat& trailer tires.

just my .02

mapleleaf
01-07-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm gonna want to agree with Mr. Hunter on this one, when you're tow rig doesn't have the brakes, suspension or overall weight to out muscle you're trailer, you're headed for diseaster. Had this experience with my Tundra towing a 33' camper, I hadn't exceeded my weight limit, but am lucky that my stupidity didn't get me or anyone else hurt. The size of the camper and displacement of it's weight is what could've taken both vehicle's off the road.....
I think the best thing is that you're researching this first, I'm still learning, but won't tow anything like that camper with a half ton ever again....
Mind you I tow my Conbrio 450 miles to the cottage with it and I don't have trailer brakes and it rides safe and stops great.....
Tell you're dad you want a bigger truck to borrow....lol

Blackntan90
01-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I remember the time my brake line broke(rusted) on my 90 sweetwater trailer(90 mariah on top) and pushed my full size pickup right through a red light... white knuckles for sure!

ngavchris
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
You will be fine. Towed a 83 Supra Rider for 9 years with a GMC S15(same as S10) back and forth to the lake. Under powered?? Yes, if I wanted to pull it at 65 on the interstate. I could pull at 55 and it felt fine. Back then brakes where not on most boat trailers. We managed fine. My new boat has hydraulic brakes which are a definite plus.

It is like driving in the snow. You just make yourself more aware of what is going on.