PDA

View Full Version : Father of Supra - The History of Supra Boats

chautauquasun
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I was doing some research for my upcoming rebuild of my Supra and came across this article which I think everybody will enjoy. I have always wondered about the history of Supra and why there seemed to so little information about the early company and the early boats. This article which is an interview with George Fowler, the Father of Supra explains a lot of the mystery that I have always wondered about. It is a somewhat lengthy interview but well worth reading. George sounds like a fascinating guy and somone I would love to have a beer with. Check out the link below. Enjoy.

http://www.deanstop.com/aztec/george/wake.html

Dan

csuggs
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Dan - awesome article - I don't know how you found that, but what a great story!

Now I have to wonder: Viper Boats was in Arkansas, but does Viper Customs somehow get its name from any of this? I'm told that Viper Customs is in the plant where my boat was built (Maryville, TN). Can anyone piece this together a little more?

Thanks again Dan. I get excited over this kind of stuff!

There's a little more info at the Aztec home site. Seems George is out of a job again because Aztec closed in 2006. All of the molds are for sale - for cheap. But they are probably not in good shape since they've been left outside. http://www.aztecboats.com/

thescott
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Interesting read-thanks for posting!

jasonba1
01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Viper customs is in the old skiers choice plant but has no affilation with viper boats. George Fowler has been in and out of boat companies for years and kind of started it all. The aztek boat molds have been for sale for sometime and I would say since they are outside the molds are shot. Molds have to be stored on completly level ground or they will warp. I got to go out on my first aztek boat back about 2 months ago my buddy at american boat center has one for sale. Neat little bare bones boat that were sold very reasobale and I think ryan at ABC has his for sale for like 10,5 which for a open bow 21 foot boat that is a good price.

csuggs
01-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Jason - interesting.

jasonba1
01-04-2010, 05:33 PM
From what I hear from the grape vine is no one really no where Fowler is now and what he is up to. I would love to meet him sometime and talk to him

87SunSportMikeyD
01-04-2010, 06:06 PM
AMAZING story! Seems like a BRUTAL business. Sad to hear that Aztec didn't work out (again).

Thanks George - I love my 87 Supra SunSport!!! 22 years later she is still making memories; George leaves a legacy like a musician or artist or author that will live forever.

csuggs
01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Here's a link to what I think might be the original Mastercraft plant where George and Rob built the first Mastercrafts on Binfield Rd. Check out the private lake with ramp! I'd love to have one of those in my backyard!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=maryville,+tenn&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.008397,92.724609&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Maryville,+Blount,+Tennessee&ll=35.702187,-84.073681&spn=0.004583,0.011319&t=h&z=17

chautauquasun
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Well said Mikey!

Clint I am like you and just about everyone on this site that just can't get enough of these boats. Everytime I question myself on the money I am going to spend on restoring mine I look at everyones pictures and read articles like these and realize these boats are timeless classics and the questions go away.

I would one like to meet George and shake his hand. Love these boats.

michael hunter
01-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks Dan
That was very informative. I always though GF worked for CC before he started Supra.
The CC martinique sure looks like the early Supras. I guess they copied the Supra designs.
The comment about building a family ski boat. Talk about hitting the target in 89 the only thing even close to a 20' family ski boat MC had was a Tri star. Back then there weren't as many inboard boat builders .Malibu was the new kid. I was going to buy a Sunsetter untill I saw a Supra. I never thought I could ever own such a boat. It is just as GF said high free board ,wide and lots of storage. Best of all it has the pull of a true ski boat. It was a perfect fit for me and I still have it today. I hope I will never have to sell it.
Thanks George I wish you still owned Supra.

Okie Boarder
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
That is a really good and cool to hear about the history. I agree with Micheal, Supra is pretty unique for the era and was definitely a fit for me right now budget and needs wise.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I was also thinking older sunsetter or martinique before I saw the SunSport. Nothing compared after that!

chautauquasun
01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I was also thinking older sunsetter or martinique before I saw the SunSport. Nothing compared after that!

I was the same...back in 1986 when my buddy's dad who was a doctor bought a brand new Sunsport. It was the one of the most beautiful boats on the lake fell in love the day I saw it. We had 1975 MFG Trihull with a 165 mercruiser I/O. Whenever we were out on the boats together always felt like mine was the ugly duckling...which it was.

beautiful boats, timeless style.

joehiggins
02-02-2021, 11:50 PM
He has moved back here recently and I speak with him daily. We have been friends for 40 years. He is the father of invention with the ski boats.

JBreezy
02-11-2021, 07:01 PM
He has moved back here recently and I speak with him daily. We have been friends for 40 years. He is the father of invention with the ski boats.

Well, Joe, if you're telling the truth, that's very cool. I read this thread a couple of months ago just going through the archives and enjoyed learning about George's story and struggle and in general his contributions to inboards. And I don't mean to insult with my first sentence, it's just that the internet is the internet and you know how that goes.

joehiggins
02-25-2021, 01:16 PM
JBreezy, A tale that follows. I met George while he was still working at Master craft with Rob Shirly. I did electrical work down at the old shop on Morganton rd off and on as they needed it done. My wife's sister ran the office in the early years for Master Craft. My wife worked off and on in the office also. George and Rob parted ways and George started Ski Supreme. It was located just off East Broadway in Maryville in an old 4 bay service station. My wife ran the front office there, and I hauled the first engine from Paul Fletcher's shop that was put in his first boat. Later we moved down on Topside Rd. in Louisville. I built custom trailers for George and later I built and ran his trailer shop there. I was offered a job in Texas and my wife and I moved there. Shortly thereafter He sold his part of Ski Supreme and started Supra. My wife and I attended some of his boat shows and ski tournaments in Texas. Time passed as we led our own lives. We returned to Tennessee to find out George had lost Supra and had spent some time in Florida and California. We arrived here and opened a BBQ house in Townsend, while George had just started the Aztec line down at a small shop just off 321 close to Friendsville. Later was sold to Charlie Luna who owned Viper Boats in Mountain Home Arkansas. George packed up and moved to Mountain Home to build the boats there. Another tale could begin here and long it would be. George is sitting here talking to me as I type this tale. Should you like we can have breakfast some Sat. morning and I will bring him with me.

JBreezy
02-25-2021, 01:30 PM
WOW! That's awesome. Now again, I could become the village idiot around here by buying it, but I'll be darned if you don't sound like you are indeed telling the truth. Well thanks for the the recap, I appreciated hearing more of the story. And I appreciate your long term friendship with a legend. Boating means a lot of me, as it does many on this forum. I am quite a ways from you guys here in Minnesota but I drove through TN recently and spent two days in Chattanooga in January. 68 degrees and absolutely beautiful, geography, food, and people were all awesome. My wife and I added the TN and GA mountain area it to our potential retirement destinations.

Mischief IV
02-25-2021, 04:01 PM
JBreezy, A tale that follows. I met George while he was still working at Master craft with Rob Shirly. I did electrical work down at the old shop on Morganton rd off and on as they needed it done. My wife's sister ran the office in the early years for Master Craft. My wife worked off and on in the office also. George and Rob parted ways and George started Ski Supreme. It was located just off East Broadway in Maryville in an old 4 bay service station. My wife ran the front office there, and I hauled the first engine from Paul Fletcher's shop that was put in his first boat. Later we moved down on Topside Rd. in Louisville. I built custom trailers for George and later I built and ran his trailer shop there. I was offered a job in Texas and my wife and I moved there. Shortly thereafter He sold his part of Ski Supreme and started Supra. My wife and I attended some of his boat shows and ski tournaments in Texas. Time passed as we led our own lives. We returned to Tennessee to find out George had lost Supra and had spent some time in Florida and California. We arrived here and opened a BBQ house in Townsend, while George had just started the Aztec line down at a small shop just off 321 close to Friendsville. Later was sold to Charlie Luna who owned Viper Boats in Mountain Home Arkansas. George packed up and moved to Mountain Home to build the boats there. Another tale could begin here and long it would be. George is sitting here talking to me as I type this tale. Should you like we can have breakfast some Sat. morning and I will bring him with me.

I sent you a private message Joe. Please get in touch with me if you want. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

MJHKnox
02-26-2021, 11:25 AM

I have a feeling that is Smokin' Joe's Bar-b-Que?

csuggs
02-28-2021, 10:16 PM
Interesting ... I read the article 10 years ago. Still interesting.

joehiggins
03-01-2021, 01:18 PM
One and the same

MJHKnox
03-11-2021, 09:05 PM
Drew posted on social media today. Some are not on there.

“The Founder of Supra Boats... We have George Fowler to thank for the conception of the boats we ride today. Thanks George for visiting us at the factory.”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210312/8986136f1a178f5eeffd1f9421146a0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJHKnox
03-11-2021, 09:05 PM
2nd Pic

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210312/69a666006891f0549023b474eb9f75a5.jpg

MJHKnox
03-11-2021, 09:07 PM
Background is the new building for offices and r&d.

JBreezy
03-12-2021, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the pics, @MJHKnox! This thread has sort of gone full circle and is interesting to see it played out. I wonder what George thinks of these modern Supras. Someone needs to do another in depth interview.

MJHKnox
03-12-2021, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the pics, @MJHKnox! This thread has sort of gone full circle and is interesting to see it played out. I wonder what George thinks of these modern Supras. Someone needs to do another in depth interview.

Funny you say that, I was thinking the same thing.

Post was from 2010, not sure when that interview happened.

Mischief IV
03-12-2021, 05:38 PM
1981 - 2021 Supra's 40th Anniversary.

Cool pics! He's at the factory....so be nice if Drew and/ or Rick did a drive in parking lot reunion and we could all ask Mr. Fowler what he thinks of the new boats. I emailed the Supra management in regards to a 40 year reunion last year to no avail. I don't get a sense they care for the oldies.

Not the same Supra boats, theory of boating, design or technology. 5 letters of the alphabet is all that remains the same of the company he started.
I'm sure he's happy the name lives on but I bet money he'd be happier to see boats he designed and built by hand in the 80's being still being loved and adored by fans of the wave logo. I know I am.

csuggs
03-13-2021, 07:30 AM
1981 - 2021 Supra's 40th Anniversary.

Cool pics! He's at the factory....so be nice if Drew and/ or Rick did a drive in parking lot reunion and we could all ask Mr. Fowler what he thinks of the new boats. I emailed the Supra management in regards to a 40 year reunion last year to no avail. I don't get a sense they care for the oldies.

Not the same Supra boats, theory of boating, design or technology. 5 letters of the alphabet is all that remains the same of the company he started.
I'm sure he's happy the name lives on but I bet money he'd be happier to see boats he designed and built by hand in the 80's being still being loved and adored by fans of the wave logo. I know I am.I think you're probably right.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Larry Arizona
03-17-2021, 04:56 PM
Do you think he cares? He got paid and it’s not like Supra builds shitty boats.

Mischief IV
03-17-2021, 05:20 PM
Do you think he cares? He got paid and it’s not like Supra builds shitty boats.

What?

Ok, we get it, you have a new 20 year mortgage...but don't take it out on us.

Larry Arizona
03-17-2021, 05:23 PM
What?

Ok, we get it, you have a new 20 year mortgage...but don't take it out on us.

Not a knock on anyone, just saying he sold his company, got paid well and the new moomba and Supras aren’t crap, so it’s not an embarrassment to him.

The boats are still handmade by the way, fiberglass still sprayed in a mold etc.

Really cool that the classics are still appreciated here, but it does come across as “get off my lawn”

Like comparing a 1963 corvette and a 2021 C8.... both are awesome in their own right.

Mischief IV
03-17-2021, 07:09 PM
Not a knock on anyone, just saying he sold his company, got paid well and the new moomba and Supras aren’t crap, so it’s not an embarrassment to him.

The boats are still handmade by the way, fiberglass still sprayed in a mold etc.

Really cool that the classics are still appreciated here, but it does come across as “get off my lawn”

Like comparing a 1963 corvette and a 2021 C8.... both are awesome in their own right.

No one ever said anything about build quality. It is about two different eras as you say which is basically rehashing my comment regarding
the posted pics. "He got paid and it’s not like Supra builds shitty boats" came out of left field if we are speaking in terms of lawns. I can't help you with how you interpret comments on the internet. All I can say is...I believe we've had this conversation before in another thread and no one has an issue with new boats here. No one!
"Go to the Moomba forum, more new boat owners there!" has been written way more times than I can count, by new owners, so there is that.

I don't care if threads posted here are for new boats, old boats, or medium age boats as I will still read them regardless. I just can't answer why my GoPro fails to communicate or why my folding tower doesn't work. Sorry.
The attitude presented by newbies is, that this is an old folks home for old boats and so the newbies get bored by stringer repair and talk of wave decals so they sprint over to the Moomba forum...which is their prerogative. Good for them, hope they find the answer, pretty sure no one is restoring an old Moomba. MJHKnox tends to knock it out of the park with the best answers for the newbies. I read every thread and every comment but since he has a 2018 SL, he's better suited for that and I applaud him for his effort.

Now, taking a break from ranting, people discount George Fowler's contribution to the ski boat business. He was Rob Shirley's (Mastercraft) brother-in-law, and the original general manager of Mastercraft during its formative years. He then had a falling out with Shirley, left, and started Ski Supreme. Starting Ski Supreme actually got him sued by Mastercraft. He then started Supra, then Moomba, then Aztec.
By the end of his tenure at the helm of Supra, it really wasn't going so well. In the article, he stated taking the company public in the late '80s cost him everything. One day a rich man, the next day financially in dire straights after the recession of 1991. Moomba was started in his basement as his retirement plan but had to give it up in the sale of Supra to satisfy creditors later on if I understood the interview correctly. I'm sure George would debate you on "got paid well." Would be nice to ask him huh?

I'm sure he's proud of the new Supra but my original comments stands, nothing there for him but S-U-P-R-A on the side of a boat.