PDA

View Full Version : Check this out but don't laugh!!

jet
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Here is my youtube video I shot while I was bored yesterday, 1st cut so no laughing. Jet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RlRV1PkaGs

csuggs
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Cool! (No pun intended, lol) I like it.;)

87SunSportMikeyD
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Couple Q's from the average consumer... What is the purpose of cooling your attic? Which bills does it lower, cooling in the summer I assume? Would this allow me to run the A/C much less in the summer? Guessing the target market would live in the south where high temps were more of a problem? If I was to run my A/C, wouldn't it just go 'out the window' or attic fan? Doesn't it let out all your heat in the winter? Looks neat, just need a lil help understanding....

jet
01-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes It lowers your a/c electric bills. My August bill used to be over $300 after cooling the attic now my bill runs $140-$160 just from cooling the attic off. The heat build up in the attic heats up your walls and ceiling making your a/c unit run LONGER adding to your electric bill. Not sure what you mean about it going out the window? Your house is sealed or separate from your attic, but on cool days i can turn off my a/c pull my attic stairs down and it brings in cool air from open windows or my speakeasy door. BIG MYTH COMING UP..do not close off your attic in the winter time 50% is ok but not totally. it locks in all of the moister from showering and makes it way up in the attic and rusts out your $5,000 or $12,000 a/c unit or units! Yeah, you might save $200 over the whole winter time with a warmer attic, but Its not worth that to have to replace your a/c unit. 90% of the time a unit goes out is because it rusted..not because it was tired of working..a solar fan will add 5-8 more years to your unit. People up north only need 1-unit to cool there house and in Hawaii they use to cool the whole house because they don't have a/c units. Did I cover everything?

sybrmike
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice first cut. I'd add some close-ups of the units un-installed.

It's amazing what a cool attic can do for the summer a/c electric bills down here in the south. In our previous 35 year old home with poor ceiling insulation, the attic would get so unbearably hot I could only be up there 30 minutes at a time - and that was with full passive ridge vents. Our new home is over twice the size, but well insulated, ridge vented, and cool-deck roofing (no active venting though). It's almost pleasant up there in the summer and our summer electric bills are actually less than the old house.

It's funny, with the recent rare freezing cold snaps we've had down here - you can tell the older houses just by driving by & looking at the roofs. Old roofs are frost free since the house heat is escaping to the attic, new houses are still covered in frost.

Good luck with the marketing.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
"Not sure what you mean about it going out the window?"
I guess I didn't know the attic was sealed seperate, I'm still a new homeowner. :) Question came from seeing the pic with the closeup of your living room vents.

I dont think my a/c is in the attic.

SuperSaltAir
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Jet very nicely done if you don't mind me asking what is the approximate cost for you project or per fan, and what part of the country are you in

Salty87
01-06-2010, 11:59 AM
interesting stuff. i re-roofed last year adding ridge vents.

jet...do these fans work in conjunction with ridge vents or is it one or the other?

sybrmike
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Salty - we also added ridge vents to the old house when we re-roofed. It made a noticable difference, but learned after the fact that we should have added more soffit vents as well to match the flow opening of the ridge vents to maximize effectiveness.

Jet can probably speak to this better, but I think in the ceiling/attic/roof area - the key to lower summer electric bills is to keep the attic cool as practical thru the use of ceiling insulation and attic venting. I know first hand the ridge vents and cool deck work. Cool deck isn't practical for your new re-roof & aftermarket radiant barrier is expensive. My in-laws in Pflugerville added powered attic vents that made a noticible difference last summer, but Jet's solar vents have the added benifit of no additional electric usage.

jet
01-06-2010, 08:28 PM
WOW! Thanks for the interest. OK..lets see without hurting anyones feelings, anything you do to help your attic breath is good! but not enough. Its like cracking a window in the car on a 100 degree day while Its parked, and a fan is like rolling down the all 4-windows while driving 30 mph. It does relieve pressure and a little temp but thats it. Heres how you test everything, by TEMP!! Most attics hit 150-160 and even if your attic is 130 degrees its the heat build up that warms up your ceiling and walls and adds to your electric bill.

On a 100 degree day Is 140 degrees better than 150? Yes, is 130 better than 140..yes! here is how it breaks down.

panvents (lil plastic vents) 150 degree attic + 13 pan vents= 146 degrees
cons: LOTS of moister, no venting

whirlybirds or turbines: 150 attic +2-4 whirly's= 140-135 degrees. Weak!
cons: 100 cfm's max. 100 degree day and no wind? It happens alot!! myth- they suck out air..WRONG no suction!! they just spin.

Ridgevent 150 attic + vent= 140-135 degrees.
cons: 100 cfm's leaking during rain, heat build up due to no wind

radiant barrier 150 attic + foil= 140-135 degrees. MOVES ZERO CFM'S
cons: Its all marketing!! you still need a fan, whirlys, or ridgevents along with it so WHY BOTHER? And your attic is still 140 degrees and your a/c unit is still treadmilling in a 140 degree heat! 50% of my customers have radiant barrier, so why do they call me and spend $1500?? because I bring a 100% fix!

electric fan: 150 degree attic + 2-fans= 102-105 degrees. NICE! 1600 cfm's
cons: BIG FIRE HAZARD..they start most fires or make the fires BIGGER! $200-$300 per fan to run each year, this makes no cents!

solar fan: 150 degree attic + 2-solar fans= 102-103 degrees..SWEET! Runs free all day long. a/c cycles get shorter and shorter lowering your electric bill dramatically. Zero moister makes your a/c unit and insulation last way longer.
cons: they dont work on cloudy days..busted! I cant think of any others?

When your hot what do you do..reach for foil? No..a fan. When your cars sitting in traffic will foil work? No..you need a fan. the only draw back to a fan is the amount of electricity it uses..thats why solar makes so much cents!

Wow. yall really got me going on that one. Oh my units run $429-$529-$599
Did I miss anything?

My fans 2-installed $1600
-30% tax credit= less $600
SAVED AVG
mar-$50
april-$50
may-$50
june-$150
july-$150
aug-$150
sept-$100