PDA

View Full Version : DIY Perfect Pass for older boats

87SunSportMikeyD
01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Just thought I would put this into its own posting. I have not yet tackled this project, but it is a common topic for older carburated boat owners. I get asked this question a lot! :)

I have looked into PP quite a bit as far as building my own from parts. In fact I have my cheat sheet right here! If you have a carburated engine we need the older of the two kinds of PP called "Mechanical". It uses a 'servo motor' to control the speed based on the readings from the paddlewheel. The other kind is called DriveByWire or DBW, which will be printed on the master module and it has no servo motor.

Some parts are easy to find on ebay motors or ski-it-again.com (like dash display guage and master module, other are hard to find like the servo motor).

TO build your own PP you would need:
-Servo motor and parts for mechanical hookup (new from PP $275)
-Paddlewheel (new from PP $129)
-Display (can be single or multiline) ($100 used)
-Master Module (brain or cpu) (cannot say DBW drive by wire, the other kind of PP which is much more common) ($100 used)
-I think there is also a wiring harness of some type that PP would likely need to supply you.

Note that a lot of the PP for sale on ebay motors are incomplete.

So the price for all this listed above is $704 or higher depending if you get used or new parts but it could still be missing some wiring or other needed parts. PP brand new is about $1000. I am still not sure if all that hassle of buying used would be worth the savings. PP will support you GREAT even if you try and build your own.

Good luck and post up those good ski-it-again.com finds.

nimal.neem
03-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I think I have about $700 in mine. The way it works is that a separate cable is connected to a servo motor and pulls the opposite way of the throttle cable and adjusts the speed accordingly. When a rider falls and you slow the boat down the perfect pass cable becomes "loose" and the throttle cable is in control again. Then at some point the servo takes the slack out of it again and when you throttle up and you get near your speed it takes over again.

Stunt Driver
05-14-2015, 02:13 PM
would anyone be interested in a DIY kit around $200, that delivers similar capabilities to Perfect Pass, but without specialities like slalom/magnets/etc? I started this project solely to build one for myself, but since I went extra mile like board design - it should be possible in summer of 2015 to custom build for others. details here http://steadypass.webs.com/

2500HD
07-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Gonna have to keep an eye on these guys progress. looks like they just have some servo bugs to work out. I'm interested to say the least.
http://steadypass.webs.com/

Sdc77
07-20-2015, 04:50 AM
Interested to !

2500HD
07-28-2015, 09:00 PM
I just ordered the servo for my boat and this should be here next week!
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a494/2500hd1/IMG_68871_zpsvimlykin.jpg

Sdc77
07-30-2015, 07:12 AM
Clean ! What gauge do you use to fit the PCB ? Is it your factory speedo, or do you order a blank or another one ?
What kind of servo will you go with ? Linear or RC ?

2500HD
07-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Clean ! What gauge do you use to fit the PCB ? Is it your factory speedo, or do you order a blank or another one ?
What kind of servo will you go with ? Linear or RC ?

He has the whole unit built into a blank that he puts whatever logo you want on. I opted for no water temp sensor because up here you usually don't want to know how cold it is.
The servo i'll be using first is a linear firgelli. Time will tell how long it will last but the initial testing was great with this model.

Sdc77
07-31-2015, 06:12 AM
Aaaah. So it's still on his desk not yours ? Can't wait to see it running. I'm in touch with Dima too, hope he can ship me one unit soon as well ;)

2500HD
07-31-2015, 02:12 PM
Aaaah. So it's still on his desk not yours ? Can't wait to see it running. I'm in touch with Dima too, hope he can ship me one unit soon as well ;)

That was on his desk. He will be sending it to me early next week.

87SunSportMikeyD
06-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Did you ever get this prototype? Man, this guy could sell thousands of these units at his low price point, even if it's $500, I'd jump on it.

NorCalPR
06-01-2017, 12:18 PM
I did work with him for a while. All in all, I went thru 3 units.

Fist one never worked right. It ended up frying while cranking the motor and trying to get the rpm signal to work.

2nd fried when i tried updating it.

3rd never worked.

I gave up and ponied up for a ridesteady. Instantly worked fron day 1. Adjusing the parameters made it work that much better

Imho hes still a LONG way out. Hopefully he gets it figured out but I got tired of messing with it. I was spending more time working on it than riding.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2500HD
05-30-2018, 11:02 PM
Mines still going strong, Love it!

Sdc77
05-31-2018, 05:41 AM
2500HD, do you have pics of your installation ?

2500HD
05-31-2018, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Yy4lHK5nA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsT6BwNuxoo