PDA

View Full Version : Problem with front ballast not draining

nmorale
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I was taking out my ballast bags the other day to put my boat up for the winter and I noticed that both my back bags were empty but my front one was about half full! I turned on the switch to drain and noting happened but when I turned on either rear to drain I heard the pumps coming on to drain them.. Has anyone else ever seen this problem before?

Oh BTW I have an 07 24SSV Gravity Games Edition

jonyb
01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Have we ever seen this problem with the unique Supra ballast system? It's more like, when has it ever worked like it should?

I've gone through 3 pumps in the bow of mine, and everytime it's a carpet strand thats gotten into the pump and made it stop. Most of the time I could clean it out but sometimes it would just burn up the pump.

Have fun trying to get to the pump under that 1100# water bag. I've wrestled mine plenty of times. The only thing I could ever do is park the boat on a ramp or hill and pull the drain plug letting it drain out the bilge. I've become a master at this.

A quick check would be to flip the pump on and off to see if you can hear it running. Also look at the fuses under the dash. There's a separate fuse for each of the 3 pumps.

nmorale
01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
I will check the fuses but I did also notice a broken brown wire I think it was in the harness that plugs into the pump right at the plug I stripped the wire back to make sure it made contact and the pump still did not come on. I was not at home and did not have a volt meter or a test light to make sure it was getting power but the empty light on the rocker switch was lighting up...

What is the deal on the upgraded Tsunami pumps I am by no means a boat expert and felt I was doing good just to get all the ballast bags out...;)

jonyb
01-06-2010, 01:45 AM
The brown wire is 12V to the pump. Black is ground. If you reconnected it and it still doesn't work, slide under the helm and check the fuse. If the fuse is good, take the pump out and check it on a workbench with a power supply or 12V battery.

As for the Tsunami upgrade, Fman is the guru on that one. There's a sticky here from his install and all the parts he used. It's about a $400 upgrade from www.wakemakers.com and well worth it from what I understand.

nmorale
01-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks for your help I will check the pump and fusses and also into that pump upgrade I am assuming since there are 3 individual pumps I will have to upgrade all of them or just the center one for now and since it is the biggest ballast and takes the longest to fill and drain..

jonyb
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Cant remember right now what Travis did. I think it's just 1 pump. I was wanting to have 3 individual pumps but something about that wouldn't work.

tg0824SSVGG
01-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Here is where you can find Travis' upgrade info:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4595

nmorale
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks I will print that out!

Fman
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
If you need any help, please ask. As I have told others, if you use your ballast system often its a great upgrade to this boat. I used the system for a couple months last season and never had any problems with filling or draining. I can also send some more pictures if you need some.