PDA

View Full Version : Help me Purchase...

ssmith
01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
A new wakeboard.

Just consider me a newbie when it comes to wakeboarding. I've had a Hyperlite Murray w/ HO orbit bindings for the last 4 years but really haven't been that interested. I started surfing last year and love it. However, this next year I am planning on spending 50/50 time surfing and boarding. I really want to improve my boarding skills. I can get up very easily and ride but thats about it. I thought my board was too short but its a 140 cm and should be OK. I know the technology has came a long way, so would I benefit from a new board?

I was thinking of getting a Slingshot Recoil or Response with SL D2 bindings or the PB bindings. I have read really good things about them. The Response is listed as Intermediate to Advanced with the Recoil being listed as Advanced. However, I have read reviews of the Recoil stating how it would be suitable for beginner to advanced. Being a newb, which one would fit the bill for me and what size to get? I am 5'11" tall and weigh 200lbs (hope to get down to 185lbs :roll:). Thanks

87SunSportMikeyD
01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a tough (read: fun) decision! Of course you should try and find a local shop with a demo program. Usually they allow you to 'apply' the money spent renting the different demo boards towards your final purchase of an even further-discounted demo board. Then you can find 'the one'. Personally this is critical, I will ride 6-8 boards and then you find the PERFECT board.

With that said, IMHO try to focus on the shape of the board: the rails and the bottom. Try to look for something with rounded edges between your feet (forgiveness), then sharper towards the tip and tail. Many boards are sharp on the whole rail and you will becoming familiar with the digger or eyelid peeler if you come up short on your 180s. This is fairly new on boards, some boards have fantastic edges that really make riding easier and less painful.

Second is the bottom shape. Something with more rocker (spoon shape bottom) will ride slower in the water (read: when you get it on edge, it doesn't approach the wake quite as quickly) but it will have more vertical pop. The standard is a 3-stage rocker or hybrid rocker. I also think it is very important to have a 'spine' on the base of the board (technical term is a concave or aka quad-to-double concave on Liquid force boards means 4 spines in the middle, two near tip and tail). This breaks the impact on flats landings. Big time. If you case the wake (land on top of it) and you will, it is normally painful but the concave allows you to ride right through with minimal impact.

I am pretty partial to LF. If you are thinking Slingshot, IMHO keep in mind the edges are sharp all around and the base is smooth. IMHO this is pretty advanced with not much forgiveness, but I HAVE NOT ridden this brand yet.

If you are 5'11" you should be at at LEAST a 140, maybe a 142 or 144. DEMMOOOO. Good luck. PS I ride a LF Watson and Watson bindings for what its worth. It is the #1 best selling wakeboard of the last 3-4 years. And yes you would definatly benefit from a new board. Also bindings have come LIGHT years from what they were.

ssmith
01-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Mikey,

Thanks for the input. Sounds as though you have done your homework. I def think I need a 142-144. I still can't decide on the Slingshot though. I have developed liking for the brand but just don't know if the boards are too advanced for my ability. I have began to realize that the Recoil is most likely too much for me, so now I'm leaning toward the Response.

This is from Slingshotsports.com website:

Designed with rider versatility in mind, the Response offers several advantages for individual riding styles.

The continuous rocker line gives you the speed needed to carve hard against the wake and to boost big into the flats.

Our Future Response Technology™ (FRT) core construction brings the board to life beneath your feet offering explosive pop, and cushioning on every landing. To top it off, the bomber quality Dura Base™ bottom makes this board an obvious winner when it comes to jibbing, sliding, and boosting off kickers in the park.

Future Response Technology™ – FRT = Lightweight, more durable core that offers controlled flex that evenly distributes an explosive energy burst when popping off the wake and on ollies, and absorbs shock on hard landings

Park Ready™ Tune = Ability to customize the board rails to desired shape

Dura Base™ = Most durable sliding base available

Taperwall™ = Better edge control, added speed stability, sounder handling in rough water, and more impact resistant

Continuous Rocker = Effortless pop and butter soft landings

4-Hole = Superior boot to board connection

Elliptical Concave = Quicker edge to edge response

Handmade by Slingshot in the USA = Precision finished product using the highest quality materials

Slingshot legendary construction = Bomber quality

Lifetime Rider Hotline Membership = Unsurpassed customer service

RESPONSE PACKAGE SPECS:

• Response deck

• NEW Qty 4 / 6” x .75” Response fins

• Lifetime Rider Service Membership

RIDER PROFILE:

• Freeride

• Weekend cruiser – Expert

• Snowboard enthusiast

• Focused on speed and comfort

• Looking for soft landings on huge tricks taken into the flats

87SunSportMikeyD
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Well I would not want to steer you away from Slingshot because lots of people do really like them. The-house.com is one of my local stores and they carry Slingshot so I will see if they have a demo program, I would love to try one out.

Be sure you go to http://www.wakeworld.com/getcompany.asp?companyid=846&type=1 and read all the reviews.

http://www.wakeworld.com/wwimages/boardguide/boards/5181.jpg

Here is the 10 Responce 142. Since there is NO bottom features and sharp rails, to me it seems like a killer. But I have not heard people who ride the board really say that. It may be that since the board flexes as you carve or land, the bottom shape isnt as as important.

The edges to me look very very sharp. I know they say you can file them down to tune them but they are REALLY sharp.

ssmith
01-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks again. I read the reviews on wakeworld from 2007-2010 for the 142 Response. The reviews are GREAT! However, they are reviews by Intermediate to Advanced riders. So I still wonder about a newbie.

If I buy one, I will most likely go with a 2009 model due to the deals on them. I can buy a 2009 board with 2008 bindings for $349 shipped & no tax or drop back to a 2007 binding for $299. This is all directly from Slingshotsports.com. I can't find anywhere that is cheaper.

Mikey, I know you surf....you should check out their new wakesurfers if you haven't already. A bit pricey but it looks like a really nice board. I may have to check in on one of these as well. I'm also in the market for a new surfer. Really considering the Trickboardz model but thats a different topic. Oops, I got sidetracked.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
As far as I know they have not changed the Responce board shape at all over the last 3 years. You could get a killer deal on an 09 or 08 model. Try boardersmall.com.

After reading all the reviews for all sizes all years of Responce, most people said the board was forgiving on landing tricks, so the sharp edges must NOT (edit: sorry left out NOT) be a problem. Only thing I didn't like was people said the board was really slippery when you were setting your edge to hit the wake. Some people said they had a hard time setting the correct progressive edge. One guy said it made his technique lazy.

Also I noticed that the GREAT majority of the people riding this board were using it primary for hitting sliders in the cable park. On a boat, setting the proper edge is more important I would think. Never been on a cable tho hehee

Look up the boots on wakeworld too for reviews.

Wow I didn't even know they had surfers, that is kewl! Looks like it is their first year. They have a surf style and skim style. The surfstyle looks more interesting to me. The skim looks pretty similar to all skims. I ordered the Trickboards / Asylum boards combo so will be getting one Mojo Grande and one Skimskate. They have the exact same botton shape. Should be super kewl! Great price, custom graphics.

ssmith
01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
"most people said the board was forgiving on landing tricks, so the sharp edges must be a problem"

I assume you meant the edges must NOT be a problem? Just clarifying.

The same package on boardersmall was $410 shipped compared to $299 from Slingshot.

Yes, the Slingshot surfstyle board looks amazing. Did you watch the video?

I was looking at the skimskate myself from Trickboardz. The combo is a good deal.

jasonba1
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey scott PM sent

ssmith
01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Jason, reply sent

ssmith
01-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Called Slingshot today and discussed my situation. The guy was easy to talk to and very informative. He said the Response was absolutely not beyond anyone's level and that it is becoming a favorite among alot of instructors. It is a very forgiving board and breaks loose very easily. He said the landings are butter soft and after riding it for a while, strap on the old board and see the difference...you'll never ride anything else again. Admitted that its a bit odd and diff for the first few sets but after 3-4 days, you'll fall in love with it. He recommended the 142 for me. He is about the same wt and loves the 142. Also, the 2007 bindings are true to size and the 2008/2009's are 1 size small. Thanks for all the help Mikey and Jason. I'll let you know what I decide.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Sounds like you are set to go. :) Get that vid camera ready and show us those tailpresses!

ssmith
01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Jason hooked me up with an extra Slingshot he had. Just happened to be what I was looking for. Thanks Jason.

Mikey, I don't know about tailpresses but I can get you tons of video of me faceplanting.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Boy that is nice of Jason to just give boards away like that! ;)

Cant wait to see 'em!

Here's a link to a short Slingshot team video
http://www.grindtv.com/video/wake/slingshot_team_trip/

jasonba1
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Hey no problem Scott nice to meet you hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you come down to the boat show. Scott Im still working on the pb Floyd bindings for you. Mikey I didnt give it away but I cut him a great deal I get good deals on most things so I try to pass them along to everyone that I can.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Oh I was just teasin he made it sounds like you givin it away. :) You carry LF? :)

ssmith
01-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Now Jason seems like a very generous guy but giving boards away.......I wish. Keep me posted on those bindings Jason.

jasonba1
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
NO I dont carry LF but I can probably get you a good deal on the stuff what are you looking for and Ill get you a price

87SunSportMikeyD
01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Thinking about a 2010 Liquid Force Watson Hybrid 139 or 2010 Liquid Force Watson 135 and 2010 Liquid Force Watsons. Still just shopping around though. Appreciated.

ssmith
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I just want to clarify. Jason isn't a dealer. He is just a good guy with a lot of local connections in Tennessee and enjoys helping people out when he can. Which is what he did for me. He was kinda passing thru my area and even dropped the board off to me and then stood in the freezing cold and chatted for 15 minutes or so. Just an all around good guy.

jasonba1
01-16-2010, 05:53 PM
the watsons havent beens shipped yet atleast not here when they do I will let you know.

Scott it was my pleasure man

mapleleaf
01-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I'll second the koudo's to Jason, he's nice eough to help out even us Canadien's!!!!! LOL
thanks Jason.....

jasonba1
01-17-2010, 01:42 PM
your more than welcome guys anyway I can help out let me know