PDA

View Full Version : Custom Tower

csuggs
01-10-2010, 11:10 PM
A lot of you know that my boat is at Viper this winter being rebuilt. Part of the plan is to add a tower, but I haven't seen a tower that I really like on the mid 80's Sunsport. Jim is going to work on designing one that looks like it belongs on my boat - but here's my question to all of you: What is an average height of most towers? Some look like they are too tall and so what I'm thinking is what it would look like to have a sort of "low profile" tower that didn't extend any higher than what I need to allow passengers to sit in the back while towing. Another question for you engineers out there is this: Would a shorter tower create any less stress on the fiberglass around the tower mounts due to decreased leverage? What are your thoughts?

SuperSaltAir
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
As far as strength the shorter the tower the better off u are as far as functionality the taller the better more room for speakers bimini tops lights higher towing point for more air no one hits there head and so on. You figure out what is it that you want out of the tower. I would personally figure what I would put on it and then make it as short as I can without hitting my head.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
My MT1 is just a bit too short. With tower speakers, people that are about 6' tend to get bonked. I think the height of the MT2 would be perfect. I didn't think I would want a taller tower, but now I think it is nice to have headroom. Plus if you want a bimini, it has to be above head height under the speakers.

jzelt
01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Exactly. That is why I am having a bimini custom designed. I didn't like the standard design as I think it would sit below the speakers and I would bump it every time I walked thru. Wrap it a few times on the forehead, and you will probably remember it is there no matter what height you put it at.

Salty87
01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
i vote with the 'high enough to move freely' crowd.

that said, my bimini is at shoulder level. i hit my head on it a few times at the start of each summer before i remember it's there. it get's old having to duck under it to move around.

is jim going to make it collapsable? i wouldn't worry too much about fiberglass stress. if it's designed and installed properly you should be ok. knock on wood...i think i have 1 small stress crack and my tower's been on for 9 years.

csuggs
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
i vote with the 'high enough to move freely' crowd.

that said, my bimini is at shoulder level. i hit my head on it a few times at the start of each summer before i remember it's there. it get's old having to duck under it to move around.

is jim going to make it collapsable? i wouldn't worry too much about fiberglass stress. if it's designed and installed properly you should be ok. knock on wood...i think i have 1 small stress crack and my tower's been on for 9 years.

Yeah - I told Jim it had to go in my garage so he will make it either collapsible or removable. I just really like the looks of my boat without the tower and I don't want to add one that doesn't look like it belongs - but I guess what I'm hearing from you guys that have towers is that there's a lot to be said for the tower being high enough to walk under!

87SunSportMikeyD
01-12-2010, 05:56 PM
You might think it will stick out like a sore thumb - but now that it has been on for a while I can't imagine my boat without it. It gives it distinct character and styling. IMO you should think of the different tower characteristics you do like or dont like.
-four feet or two
-crossbars or no
-collapsable? how low?
-color?
-Upright or swept back?

Also dont worry about the stress cracks. As long as you put good backing plates on the feet you should not get ANY cracks ever. Our backing plates were marine ply measuring 4" x 9. Big washers too.

supra wacko
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I think the best height is you could stand under it free. Its really %$#$% when you or one of your passengers hurts the head.

And for my own tower I am really glad that the bimini is also heigh enough for that.

Look at my pics for a idea

Laters

csuggs
01-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I guess I'm not too worried about stress on the fiberglass because Jim said he would add the tower reinforcement while he has the cap off for stringer replacement. I just want it to look good as well as be functional.

jet
01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Clint, I went to a boat shop and measured a few and I think I went with 6' or 6 1/2'?? Its more important to look down the road at what your going to add later, speakers, lights, bimini..YOU WILL WANT THESE LATER, so design today. I want to add a flat bimini (for head room)to mine this year (Mikey need your diy help on this one) I dont want to spend $500 on the one I want. I'm sure I can make one for $100-$200? It needs to be strong enough to tow at 60-75 mph and fold down with tower or quick disconnect?? Clint just go with a slight swoop and a fold back, I can send you a pick of mine folded if you like and you can see my tower upright on my profile. I designed mine..the only prob I found with mine is the the builder put the crossbars right at eye level so I have to duck or raise my head to see to other boats. But should be fixed when I raise my driver seat this spring for my wife, might raise it 4"-6" to see over wind shield. Need anything, just email me. Jet

87SunSportMikeyD
01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Jet I will track down some of my links for a DIY hard top bimini. It seems pretty simple really.

edit - I posted them to my DIY bimini thread here
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=5274

jet
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Here's a pic of my tower and a close up of the mounts for the fold down. Jet

jet
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Mikey, I've seen them with a standard bimini top but WE need (help) to design a flat one. Come on we can do it. Jet

jet
01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
something close to this??

Salty87
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
end-around thread jack?..not here :)

i've got that style bimini. it doesn't fold down so we either have it on the tower or in storage, there's no taking it in case it gets hot. of course for those of us in texas, you need it for 4 months and the rest of the year we don't miss it.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF1141.jpg?t=1263399473

the guy that made my tower made the bimini here in austin. it's simple though. there are pins in the crossbars of the tower that lock the bimini into the tracks. slide it into place and stick the pins in, that's it.

jet
01-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Hey Salty. That's what I'm looking for. Any close up's?

Salty87
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
that's the best pic i can find. the only thing you can't see at all in that pic is the support/cross bar that's under the sunbrella.

let me know what you want to see. i can take more...

jet
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
YES! more please. Its the connections and the design I need help on. I already have down the bimini and the fabric.

Salty87
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
it's pretty basic....there are rails screwed to the tower crossbars on each side. the bimini frame slides into the rails and is basically wedged into place (the forward tower legs are closer together than the rear legs). a hole was drilled on each side through the tower rail and the bimini frame to drop the pins thru. that's it.

rings were installed in the sunbrella, evenly spaced. zip ties keep it taught.

i've seen them bowed like mine and i've also seen flat ones.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-13-2010, 05:15 PM
HEY I didn't thread jack lol I posted my stuff in another thread lol! :)