PDA

View Full Version : Models w/Playpen & wo/Playpen

moombamania
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Afternoon All....

Former Moomba owner here (2000 Outback/LS, cage & ballast) and looking to get back into the wakeboard game and this time around a V drive :)

We are shopping the 2001 - 2006 Supra market and getting very very confused as to what models and or years have a walk through bow versus playpen setup.

We are partial to walk through and spending allot of energy researching boats that end up having playpens.

Any help clarifying this would be great.

Thanks from a Supra hopeful.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
As someone who ones a playpen, I would say dont rule it out. You think you get more space on walkthrough, but the storage under the playpen is IMMENSE I can easily fit myself in there. :) It is so nice to have room to stretch out and the all-around cushiness really rocks. It is fine to walk on, and then you also get the huge built in cooler. At least in my 87 you do! :) Good luck looks like you will be one happy boater!

jonyb
01-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I like the playpen on mine, but I don't like how it's cramped in the driver's seat when you're getting in or out of the seat.

docdrs
01-14-2010, 09:07 PM
I've had both and prefer the play pen. As per Jonyb it can cramp the driver but i can deal with it. the storage and seating outweigh the negatives imo. Plus theres more toilet bowl seating as well as play pen.

csuggs
01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure that open-bow Supras all have the playpen and none have a walk-thru. Having said that, we really like the playpen seating for the same reasons mentioned in the previous posts - you can sprawl-out on the big cushions and the storage is handy!

docdrs
01-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Oh to answer your question......i believe some of the sun sport models have a walk thru bow :)

moombamania
01-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies so far..... We are going to get back in some boats at Indy boat show and re-explore playpen (understand storage benefits) but at 6'1" I'm not real fond of the stepping up and down under tower/bimini.

Here are two examples of our delima...To us these are very similar boats
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/679748.html?1237519093

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/748083.html?1258815517

What designates playpen or no playpen ?????

87SunSportMikeyD
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
In the newer models you can get either walkthrough or playpen choice. For a while they offered the playpen on a Launch and a walkthrough on a SunSport but they looked almost the same.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-15-2010, 01:48 PM
You may want to call Skiers Choice and ask Anthony how to know which models have which bow.

iwakeboard
01-16-2010, 09:46 AM
It's the little things, and I love the little things about the playpen. As MikeyD said, you could easily fit three bodies in there (atleast on my 24v). I also enjoy turning in the drivers seat and putting my feet up on the playpen walkthrough.

As far as your question, I'm only familiar with the '05 to current models. I think on the '05 to current LAUNCH models there is a Playpen (except for maybe the '05 22v) and on the '05 to current SUNSPORT models there is a walkthrough

ssmith
01-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Moombamania,

check your inbox...PM sent.

Fman
01-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Afternoon All....

Former Moomba owner here (2000 Outback/LS, cage & ballast) and looking to get back into the wakeboard game and this time around a V drive :)

We are shopping the 2001 - 2006 Supra market and getting very very confused as to what models and or years have a walk through bow versus playpen setup.

We are partial to walk through and spending allot of energy researching boats that end up having playpens.

Any help clarifying this would be great.

Thanks from a Supra hopeful.

The Sunsport models have walk thru bow and the larger ice chest with steps and air pump storage. I have an '08 Sunsport, great boat... I like the walk thru bow with kids, but you do loose the storage capacity and you can only fit a 400 lb bag in the center ballast area. I test drove a '07 Moomba XLV GG before I bought my Sunsport and did not care for the playpen seating, it takes away too much of the cockpit area/center of the boat especially if you have the rear facing loveseat. They do give you a cushion to place in the bow to convert it to a playpen setup. I have used the cushion before and it already has an abrasion on it from kids sliding there feet, being able to keep there feet on the carpet is another plus with the walk thru. The playpen seating takes a lot of abuse if you have kids.

You can also order the Sunsport with the extra seat in place of the steps and cooler area. After having the larger ice chest/steps I dont think I would go back because of the storage capacity to keep everything cool for the day. The steps also take a lot of abuse away from people stepping on your seats every time they come in the boat. You also dont need to pack an ice chest in and put in your ski lockers which does not work well when you want to fill up your bags. The Sunsport seems to be a little more family friendly than the Launch.

Hull design are identical on the Launch and Sunsport.

Good luck, either boat is a great ride....

jet
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Whats the diff? I can't tell? Jet

jaywidhalm
01-19-2010, 12:42 AM
It's the little things, and I love the little things about the playpen. As MikeyD said, you could easily fit three bodies in there (atleast on my 24v). I also enjoy turning in the drivers seat and putting my feet up on the playpen walkthrough.

As far as your question, I'm only familiar with the '05 to current models. I think on the '05 to current LAUNCH models there is a Playpen (except for maybe the '05 22v) and on the '05 to current SUNSPORT models there is a walkthrough

I also know that from 05 to current sunsport models you can order a bow filler cushion that turns the walkthrough into a playpen. We are thinking of getting one from Skiers Choice for our Sunsport. That way you have the best of both worlds, and when you don't want it just take it out. Something to consider.