PDA

View Full Version : Alignment

sierra1
03-30-2004, 03:35 PM
When doing an alignment check, is it proper to just hold the flanges together firmly by hand when checking with the feeler guage?

flyinj
04-01-2004, 09:11 PM
no, bolt the shaft coupler to the tranny first

sierra1
04-02-2004, 05:00 PM
flyinj,
If I bolt them together, I can wipe out 0.001" gaps with barly a turn of the nut. How precise is this operation anyway?

87 Blue Saltare
04-11-2004, 10:37 PM
I just pulled the shaft on my boat and have the same question...Is aligning the shaft just a matter of bolting the coupler to the tranny evenly? Am I a rookie or what? I'm not even sure what a feeler gage is! I'll be calling Vince at Skidim tomorrow...

06-05-2004, 12:52 AM
I just went through this issue with Vince last summer and it was my understanding that you do not bolt them together to make the measurement. You put them up to each other and take measurements all the way around the plate. And the tolerance is quite small. The feeler guage will seem almost paper thin for the measurement. I also had someone run the boat while I put my hand on the transmission to feel for vibrations just as a double check. I have no idea if this trick is helpful as a doule check or simply a placebo.

mfmtb01
06-07-2004, 10:46 AM
You know, I am certainly no expert but Brian at skier's choice was kind enough to e-mail me a pretty good procedure for checking alignment. According to this procedure, you have to remove the four bolts that connect the couplers. Then check while holding them together. If you call or e-mail, they will send you the procedure.