PDA

View Full Version : Teak Finishing

chautauquasun
01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I started doing some work on all of the teak pieces on my boat. I used the 2 part system to clean and lighten the teak. It worked well. I am also using the Premium Gold teak oil. The teak looked great when it was cleaned and lightened. I put one coat of oil on it and look good for a few days but then must have absorbed into the teak...so I put more on. Again looked good but now it is a very dark color. I was hoping it would stay more on the lighter side. Any of you guys have experience with this? Is there anyway to keep it looking lighter or is it just the teak and the color is the color once the oil is put on it? I am assuming it will lighten in the sun but wanted to see if you guys had any ideas. I will try to post some pictures so you can see what i am talking about.

thanks

Dan

Salty87
01-21-2010, 10:31 AM
it'll probably soak up 5 coats, maybe more. as long as the previous coat dried all the way, slap some more on. it will lighten up in the sun.

my dogs scratch the crap outta my platform so if i can keep it oiled, i don't really care what color it is. same with the interior pieces, any oil looks better than none.

Okie Boarder
01-21-2010, 02:31 PM
My experience is that it gets dark orangish red with the oil. It does lighten a little when it dries out and in the sun. But, about the time it lightens, it's time for more oil. If you think you've oiled it enough, oil it once more ;-) I'm not sure you're going to keep it light like when you cleaned it.

chautauquasun
01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
thanks guys, yeah mine has turned kind of a burnt orange color. I Like the lighter look but I am sure it will weather quickly. I have done about three coats so far.