PDA

View Full Version : DriveShaft on 86 sunsport drips water inside boat while docked

dshaff24
01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Last season I discoverd water slowly dripping from where the driveshaft goes through the hull, It was very minor drip but it was enought to help fill the bilge area over a week time, So Im wondering what everyones thoughts our! There is a rubber boot that looks to be in great shape and ive talked to local marina's and they say all supra's do that !! So if thats true did anybody else have this issue? and if so what was your fix! I have the boat stripped to im looking to fix this to! Thanks

csuggs
01-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Mine never dripped just sitting in the water or running. I don't think that someone should just say "Supras do that". While you've got it all apart, get yourself a new seal. There are several to choose from. I'm pretty sure mine has the PSS shaft seal and I've been happy with it.

docdrs
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Not sure if it the same on the older ones , but there is a packing around the shaft. A drip every 30 seconds is the rule of thumb, its just cooling the shaft.
However saying this my 99 hardly dripped at all. Thats why inboards come with automatic bilge pumps. But now there are dripless shaft seals so you don't have to worry about tightening or repacking the seal if its more than a drip every 30 secs.

heres a link
http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=7062&highlight=shaft+packing

csuggs
01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I know that the older boats came with the packing and gland nut style of seal. Mine was changed to the dripless shaft seal prior to my getting this boat.

dshaff24
01-25-2010, 01:21 AM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/381736774.jpg

Maybe this pic will be able to tell ya what im dealing with, I believe it is a dripless set up but im not sure! csuggs does this look like what you got?

jet
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
NORMAL!! If your using wax rope (most are) you cant keep it perfectly sealed, yes, some get lucky. But its normal for a slow or quick drip..thats why I wont leave my boat in the water overnight, it may not be there in the morning. I know I can go to a dripless system like $70 bucks or so..Its on my long list. Jet

87SunSportMikeyD
01-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Should be able to tighten the rubber collar on the dripless. It should not drip. I also picked up a float-switch for my bilge pump. It automatically pumps out throughout the day or every few hours overnight if I leave her in. I am still getting a slow leak from my rudder.

Salty87
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
there should be 2 screws on the collar on the driveshaft. the collar should compress the rubber boot by about 1/4". the pressure of the collar against the rubber boot is what keeps the water out.

csuggs
01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/381736774.jpg

Maybe this pic will be able to tell ya what im dealing with, I believe it is a dripless set up but im not sure! csuggs does this look like what you got?

Yes, that's what mine looks like. And Salty's right about the compression on the boot. Just check to see that the boot is not torn or cracked. When the boat is not moving, the compression of the metal washer against the boot keeps the water out. The pressure of the water under the boat actually helps keep the boot against the washer as well. When running, the water going past the angled shaft log on the bottom of the hull creates a venturi effect resulting in negative pressure (or slight vacuum) on the boot. In theory, it should never leak.

dshaff24
01-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the good insight, I believe with out checking it that If I tightend the clamps I should be okay If the boot isn't torn! Ill check it out tomarrow!

Thanks

knoxsupra
02-16-2010, 04:18 PM
you don't want to over compensate by squishing the boot even more. Make sure your only squishing the boot down about a quarter inch if it's still leaking you'll want to replace the graphite insert that meets up with the metal collar.