PDA

View Full Version : List or recommended epoxy's or fiberglass for stinger/floor jobs please post here!

dshaff24
01-26-2010, 01:05 AM
im going to order everything to get my boat done all at once so im looking to gather the infomation in one post if that would be possible,

Example - What fiberglass to cover the floor?
What epoxy? or glass to mount the board to the base of the boat
Anything to stain or cover the stringer with b4 fiberglassing?
Special glue for mounting new carpet?

Here is something I never really saw in any posts, I never saw anywhere if anybody ever used stainless Staples? Screws? or any kind of hardware for Mounting the plywood to the stringers, When I removed the factory wood there was staples, In fact very rusty staples! not even stainless!

Would it be okay to use Stainless screws to help support the floor to the stringers? Then glassed?

Just looking for lil details to get this rolling, I def been reading up on a few other builds but im looking for straight FACTS

Does all this stuff have to be orderd online or would a local napa or parts store be able to order it in?

Im removing the rear deck and going over things, Same with the supratraps and speedo's etc etc I believe im susposed to use 3M 5200? when reinstalled?

Thanks
Doug

Okie Boarder
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Doug,

I'm getting supplies as I go along, but here is what I'm doing...

Doug Fir lumber.
Doug Fir or marine grade plywood. (Since I'm coating everything in CPES and plan to glass both sides of the plywood, I'm probably just going to do Doug Fir, with exterior grade glue.
Epoxy Resin for everything (I'm using medium hardener).
CPES to coat all wood surfaces.
Cabosil to thicken the epoxy used just to bed in the stringers.
Glass bubbles and Cabosil to thicken epoxy to lay fillets.
Biaxial to cover the stringers.
Mat and cloth to cover the plywood for the floor.
Biaxial tape for corners of the cross-braces and also the seam of the floor (deck) to hull.

I'm planning for no hardware, if possible. Worst case scenario I'm going to screw the deck to the stringers then back out the screws and fill the holes after it's set.

I haven't even gotten to thinking about carpet glue yet, but I've read a few threads out there with some recommendations. Maybe some others can pipe in on that.

Yes, use 3M 5200 to seal all the thru hull stuff.

I've been getting all my glass and epoxy supplies through US Composites, online. They have by far the best pricing. Wood I've gotten from local lumber yards. Supplies like grinding discs I've gotten from HD, Lowes, etc. Carpet and glue I'll probably order online once I decide what I want.

Salty87
01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
you don't have to order everything online but you'd have to be very lucky to find a retailer close by with decent prices and everything you need. shipping costs aren't fun but it's alot easier to get it all from one place than to drive all over town. i also used us composites.com for most of my supplies too. and, you'll prob be making more than 1 order so don't think you have to have it all at once.

using stainless fasteners is important as well as properly bedding them. i screwed my floor to the stringers. drill small hole, coat screw liberally with sealant, then screw them in and finally a layer or 2 of cloth over the entire floor.

i used poly resin, okie used epoxy. that makes a little difference in the cloth you use.
stringers...either 18 or 24 oz woven roving
floor- 8 oz cloth
with poly, mat always goes down before any cloth...1.5 oz
you should be able to tell when you tear things up how thick the original fiberglass was.

for anything that needed bedding or pre-coating, i used the poly resin i had on hand. that includes bedding backing plates too.you'll get the hang of working with resin. it's a bit of a juggling act between time, temp, and mixing ratio. for pre-coating, thin the resin a bit more so the wood absorbs it. for fillets or bedding, mix it thicker and add chopped strands or cabosil....depends on the application. for laying glass, mix it right down the middle of the road but always pay attention to the temperature and time. on a hotter day, resin will set up faster than a cooler day.

i used marine grade plywood for my stringers and floor.

don't worry about carpet glue yet, the carpet guys sell that.

dshaff24
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys, Im printing this out and seeing what my local store can get me since we get stuff a little cheaper through the business,

We have a place called CK composites not even a mile from the shop, I wonder if they sell a lot of this? That could be the ticket! Ill check tomarrow!

dshaff24
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
DID EVERYONE DECIDE ON PUTTING THE FOAM BACK IN THE BOAT? OR LEAVE IT OUT? Id love to leave it out if I could do it with out causing no issues But im just checking to see what you guys think!

Oh and my outter stringers don't actaully make it to the back of the boat! they stop about 1.5 inchs to the rear of the hull! So water can drain into the mid sections just not into the bilge valley

"This is officially my build thread for my personal questions as I go! "

Okie Boarder
01-31-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm still undecided on foam. If I put it back in, I will do the same method as Salty did.

Does the whole stringer not attach in the back or is there just a cut out and the bottom? Got a pic?

dshaff24
01-31-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm still undecided on foam. If I put it back in, I will do the same method as Salty did.

Does the whole stringer not attach in the back or is there just a cut out and the bottom? Got a pic?

Ill get a pic when I go back over tonight 4 ya, Its 1.5 inchs from the rear, Kinda strange compared to all of the pics I see on here and other places, Either way it didn't save it any! Its the worst stringer!

Im currently tearing into the front floor now that the cap is off and all I can say is That wood/stringer up there is where my boat took it the worst, The stringers just fall out they was so rotted up at the tip!

Another thing that seems odd to me is the front tips of the stringers looked like they never was connected with any kind of epoxy or glue of any type, Kinda like they are just hanging out for the ride and if the hull flexed maybe 1/2 then it would make contact!

Ill get some pics tonight

dshaff24
02-01-2010, 02:13 AM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22718017/382083568.jpg

I finished off the rest of the floor and foam to find that the stringers horrible from the captains chair forward, Anyway heres the pic of the rear outter stringer and how its spaced from the rear

Also I been thinking, I bet ill need a 1000 lbs of ballast to make up for what I removed in wet foam!

Salty87
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
my stringers were a little like that too, not quite that bad though. you must have gotten a friday afternoon boat. the tips of the stringers weren't glassed in much either.

some people leave the foam out. you won't notice it's missing if you do, it won't be louder or anything. there are pics in my signature link that show what i did. whichever way you go, don't plug up your drainage with it.

Okie Boarder
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Wow, that's pretty wild! Mine just had the notch cut out of the bottom in the back, but was attached. Like Salty said, they didn't glass all the way to the end. You'll notice they didn't glass a lot of spots, especially where they may have assembled the wood first then glassed after.