PDA

View Full Version : Snap-on Covers....

ssmith
01-26-2010, 09:07 AM
does anyone trailer their boat with them on?

I'm under the impression you aren't supposed to but don't know why really. I have seen others do it.

Thoughts?

jonyb
01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I trailer mine with the cover only when it's raining. The front snaps across the bow are off and won't stay snapped on, so the boat gets a ton of air in it and makes the other part of the cover blow up lifting the pole off of the floor. Looks to me like that'll wear the cover out even faster. A few of the snaps are starting to pull through also.

tg0824SSVGG
01-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I drive with my snap on cover on the highway long distances without issues. I have driven to Lake Powell and back (500 miles each way) 3 times now - no issues at all.

iwakeboard
01-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm getting the snap cover for my 24SSV put on this week, I hope not! haha

KY Steve
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Drive with mine and no problems even at 80mph....I hate the cover because it leaks like crazy even when just sitting.

Having a custom one piece cover made now that uses ratchet straps below the rubrail.

04Gravity
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I drove mine 400 miles home when I bought it with the cover on. But mine has the snaps on the bottom side of the rub rail so you cant see them. What that also does is forces the sir over the top of the cover while trailering instead of under

jonyb
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Having a custom one piece cover made now that uses ratchet straps below the rubrail.

What would be the ultimate price for that delightful treat?

iwakeboard
01-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Those are what we have on our company '09 22v and the ratchets have scratched up the boat a little. It could be from improper use by some people here, but I stayed away from them nonetheless.

jonyb
01-26-2010, 10:44 AM
I had one of those on my Baja before I bought this Supra. I can see where it would be a problem, but mine was made (OEM from BAJA) to where the ratchet's were enclosed, so it never damaged the gel....

Funny thing about that cover: I made a few posts on offshoreonly about wanting a cover like that for the boat. The salesman from the dealer that sold me the boat called me the next day (he still had my cell phone number) and said "I think we have a few of those in the attic, I'll check tomorrow night after work." Sure enough, they had one and he shipped it to me for free. I'd been bidding on them on ebay and losing at $250 + shipping. These were the shipping covers used on the boats when in transit to the dealer from the factory. That's customer service.....

WadsworthSunsport22V
01-26-2010, 12:42 PM
I have towed my boat with the snap on cover on, only when it is rainy. However, the boat still gets wet with the cover, not drenched.

tg0824SSVGG
01-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I get a little water, but this particular snap on cover has a rubber "gasket" that goes between the cover and the fiberglass at the nose and at the windshield -- it helps, but
not perfect.

ronixrider82
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Any cover dealer you ask will say your NOT suppose to tow with the cover on. I had mine made and paid 800 installed. When I was working at the Nautique dealer last year they had a incident where a new 230 had a snap on cover and the ratchet strap deal but some how one of the ratchet strap's came off when they were coming home from florida and did not notice. So it was slamming the boat all the way home and did about 4,000 worth of damage. It cut in all the gel coat around it and even destroyed the back engine covers. So TOW AT YOUR OWN RISK!

ssmith
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like a mixed bag but that most do trailer with a snap-on cover. I trailered mine approx 109 miles today without problems. Everything remained snapped and it hauled like a charm. This was the first time I had tried this but after the quick replies here...I decided to give it a shot. Thanks again.

KY Steve
01-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Don't have the final total yet, its between $1000-$1500. But that includes putting a colored stripe down the middle of the cover and a new bimini with matching stripe.

iwakeboard
01-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm getting my cover installed right now! I get to pick her back up early next week, will post pics :)

LLewis
08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I have my boat cover (http://www.mightycovers.com/Boat-Cover.htm) on, while it is trailered and I am transporting it. I know you should be careful to make sure that you keep your snaps clean and free from debris or sand, that can damage them and cause them to not stay securely snapped.

tadarch2
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I always tow my boat with the snap cover on. We usually have extra gear bags and whatever in the boat. It keeps them from flying out. Also keeps the boat cleaner from any blowing dust on the way to wherever we are going. I have never had any problem.

cmtaylor777
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I do and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't travel long distances with it covered but short trips should be fine.

jdub667
08-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Bought mine north of Dallas and towed it all the way back to New Mexico no problems at all, also went to Powell and again no probs wouldnt worry.

cigars n scotch
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I drive with my snap on cover on the highway long distances without issues. I have driven to Lake Powell and back (500 miles each way) 3 times now - no issues at all.

Same here. The only cover I own right now is my snap ons. I trailer with it on every weekend, and my tow is an hour one way. I drove from Utah to Nj with it on and had no problems other than a little rubbing on the bow in the gelcoat.

Blackntan90
08-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Do any of you have to lower your tower, or is the cover made to go around the legs? I think I would like to have one made, for many of the reasons stated, and I am leaning torward a snap style. The one I currently use is a generic 'one size fits many' that is extremely water repellant, but I have to lower the tower to tow with it on- so I usually just take my chances and go naked. I think I even read somewhere on a forum, that a guy towing in heavy, slow traffic had someone throw a lit ciggarette into his boat- that would suck! And if I ever saw someone do that...

mikebu
08-30-2010, 02:44 AM
I have a Evolution Cover (http://www.evolutioncovers.com/Covercrafts.php) that has zippered openings that go around the tower. This cover has no snaps and is towable. These covers are hand made and custom sized to your boat.

My dad has a snap cover on his boat and I hate putting it off and on and he now has snaps coming out of the boat after 2 years of little usage.