PDA

View Full Version : What to do to older boats

87 Sunsport
06-23-2002, 10:17 AM
We bought our 87 Sunsport last fall from some kids in CT, (love at first sight)it had had two previous owners, supposedly on the same lake for its entire life; http://www.corporatesuperhero.com/csh/Stories.nsf/IDlist/MELA-4YKVCK

We have since;
Rebuilt the captains chair with pressure treated plywood.
Reinstalled the swim platform with reinforced metal plates. between transom and fuel tank.
Replaced the holly carb, it was badly gummed up and one of the fuel vents was charred.
Replaced both exhaust manifolds, leaking and rusty.
Took out all the teak and refinished.
Replace starter (permenant magnet)
installed a heater (out on the lake April in upstate NY water temp 36)
Made a Sunbrella cover.

We still need to replace the Velvet drive clutch plate, put in a new alternator. I don't know that we'll ever put in a tower or sound system.

What have you all done?

SupraNut
06-25-2002, 12:39 PM
87 Sunsport - Here is what I have done to my '90 Sunsport after I purchased it in '99.

- replaced rotted wood in rear sundeck with 3/4" pressure treated exterior plywood. Prior to reinstalling cushioning and vinyl, the wood was drilled with 1" holes at 1' centers. Then the wood was treated with a water resistant stain (paid $3 for a gallon of it off the Home Depot bargain shelf).
- installed spring lift gas springs for easier access to storage under rear sundeck.
- added rubber foot pads around bottom perimeter of rear sundeck so vinyl and cushioning does not sponge up trapped water.
- replaced gasket in fuel bowl that was leaking
- added in-dash digital depth finder
- installed electronic conversion kit to replace points and condenser
- replaced worn belts
- added 5-channel amp, 10-disc CD changer and 10" subwoofer
- added a bimini top to provide some shade on those long, hot summer days.
- of course all the other typical checklist items like washing, waxing, changing oil and tune-ups go without saying.

I'll try and post some pictures when I figure out how.

RKG
06-25-2002, 04:46 PM
This one still hurts to think about what I have spent on this boat:

Four blade prop
Depth finder
CD + two amps+ 4 Pioneer 6 1/2+ Coustic Crossover + 8" Sub
Wakedesigns Extended pylon w/ two board rack
Bimini, modiefied for pylon
Boat Buddy for trailer
Replaced floor in front of pylon and behind motor box
Installed all new carpet ( went Gray instead of dark blue)
Removed all striping from boat
New motor, to replace blown motor
Edlebrok performer intake, from old motor
New Carb
Old motor also had updated alternator and ignition, so it carried forward.
375 pound sack in ski locker, 2- 1oo lbs sacks in bow.
Transmission seals replaced

I have now spent probably 50-60% of the purchase price on these repairs/upgrades...oh well...

SupraNut
06-25-2002, 09:59 PM
RKG - I'd be real interested in how your replaced your floors. I have a soft spot now just behind and left of the motor box. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

RKG
06-25-2002, 10:15 PM
I paid someone else to do it. It was about $700 to replace those two pieces, plus new carpet in the boat.

suckmywake
06-28-2002, 05:09 PM
replaced steering cable
replaced dist. cap/wires
cleaned extensively(very dirty)
waxed, etc.
replaced wood behind motor box
recovered 1/2 seats
remounted captains chair
replaced 1 speedo
refinished all teak
new prop(std.)
cut off the nasty rails that ran to the back of the boat--looks so much better!! Covered holes w/ new teak.
LOOKING TO SELL AT END OF SUMMER
LOOKING FOR NEWER SNSPRT OR LEGACY

Greenwood Lake
08-01-2002, 08:43 AM
Lots of maintainence over the years, goes without saying, gas mileage always horrible! Back Swim landing cracked, used to play "water park" off it, understandeable! Lots of double towing for Water skiers, knee boarders, tubes. Still lots of double tubing, gets 4-6 kids off the boat for hours. Currently had carbuerator cleaned out, accelerates better, need new distributerless ignition module to correct non-starting issue, Otherwise it's a pleasure, lots of boaters take notice & former Supra owners remind us to hold onto it because of the Hull design & handling.

NW
08-01-2002, 03:21 PM
I have a soft spot in the floor on the driver's side next to the motor box. Has anyone replaced partial flooring before? What is the best way to do it without breaking the bank?

Salty87
08-01-2002, 03:40 PM
it all depends on what you find under there.

i cracked the piece of flooring that runs between the stringers behind the engine box in front of the rear seats, it was simple to replace though, it just runs over the bilge on top of the stringers. that part is aired out thanks to the bilge.

depending on where your floor is soft, you might find rotting stringers or other signs of more substantial rot. i suspect mine would have been worse if i had to look further, the materials originally used only last so long.

check out www.rotdoctor.com for some info. and expoxies that are designed for rotting floors.

may the floors be with you. (that's bad, sorry)

dcp159
08-07-2002, 09:47 PM
88'Comp
Completely replaced all interior
All new seating and upolstry
new floor
new carpet
all new dash gauges
took stripping off
wet sanded entire hull..looks great just solid red
entire engine has been rebuilt
new carb
high performance cam
prop reconditioned
new starter
i've spent a butt load of money on this baby
it's an 88 but with all the new parts i guess i can claim it's a 2002....

87 Sunsport
08-08-2002, 06:39 AM
Got any pictures posted?

Where did you get your vinyl and carpet from?

dcp159
08-08-2002, 09:53 PM
Got my carpet from supra dealer here locally,and my seats were also done with a guy who works on boats..they turned out great...sorry no pic's don't own a digital camera
wish i did

Morris
09-27-2002, 04:20 PM
I didn't realize how neglected my new purchase had been. However, without any manuals each minute holds new discoveries. The previous owner touted how there was a switch that put the bilge pump on automatic. Nice feature. But, the bilge pump looks as if it has laid on it side for many years. I wonder how that works? The labeling on the dash is gone. I have these pretty red lights that are telling me something, but what? The owner said he threw a spare battery behind the observers seat "just in case". You really shouldn't need one, I thought. I can see why now. When the engine is hot, it won't turn over. The starter pulls so much current it brings a new battery to it's knees. Even after I replaced the old gas filter with a new "spin on" then engine runs rough. I think I'm going to need to replace the gas tank. OOOOweeee, what fun. I already know I need to replace most of the floor. And this was one of those "Special" boats that doesn't have a rear seat which I will need to make. Just so you'll know, NO, I'm not going to get rid of it.

GOGO
02-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Lots if stuff also done by me.
4blade prop
entire hull polished and redecaled
floors
points ignition
Teak as always
Tower this year.
700 hrs runs like a charm and has the best combination of wakes for skiers and boarders i have been behind.

SupraNut
02-08-2003, 08:13 AM
GOGO - Can you give us the lowdown on what you had to do on the floors and how you did it?

02-08-2003, 07:14 PM
GOGO- do you have any pictures of you boat posted?

IndyMatt
10-12-2004, 05:21 PM
2004 SS
Fill wih gas
Ski like hell
Wash
Rinse and Repeat!