PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Fiberglass

Okie Boarder
01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
So, is there some better way to cut fiberglass cloth, etc. than just shears? A cutting wheel perhaps? I'm going to set up a work table of sorts to cut my pieces. It sure would be nice to lay down a straight edge and run a cutting wheel along it instead of snip, snip, snip...

Thoughts?

jaywidhalm
01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
When I have cut it before I used a straight edge and a sharp utility knife Seemed to work ok.

sybrmike
01-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Okie,

Cutting fiberglass is really tough on whatever type edge you're using. I've found that Fiskars name brand scissors seem to hold their edge better than cheapo's. Also, get a simple hand held scissor sharpener & use it often while you're cutting.

Different types (cloth, roving, mat, uni, etc) and weights all cut differently, but I've even been able to cut a nice line on heavy 17 oz bi-directional cloth with a sharp pair of Fiskars. Disposable straight edges can catch & fray the edges of heavier cloths. Just have to experiement on what works best for what you're cutting.

Salty87
01-28-2010, 02:24 PM
oh man, what a pain in the butt. i had pretty much forgotten about that. i used some heavy duty shears. they worked ok. the only suggestions i have are to keep the cloth a little taught and keep the shears perpendicular.

beast 496
01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
I have two pair of industrial fiscars scissors. I cut woven roven and shredded chop with each. Cutting fiberglass dulles scissors very fast. After I am done with a project I have them proffessionally sharpened. I have had both for going on 10 years now. just like new. Al

Okie Boarder
01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
I ended up getting these...

http://dangerkittydesigns.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/rotary-cutter.jpg

Got lots of good recommendations on here and on another forum. Someone said they use these frequently and this is what they had over at Hobby Lobby. I'll see how they do and how long the blade lasts.

beast 496
01-29-2010, 10:51 PM
They might work with cutting dry cloth, but I don't see working very well with wet resin coated. Al

Okie Boarder
01-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Al,

I agree. I was only planning to use them for cutting the dry pieces. I'm probably going to have an exacto and scissors on hand for any wet cuts I need to do. Hopefully they will be few and far between.