PDA

View Full Version : sacs in the locker

supra newbie
01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
I see that some of you are putting a sac in your ski locker, just wondering if its the same configuration as mine. I have my fuel tank underneath the ski locker, worried about putting too much weight on top of it.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Are you talking about the ski locker in the floor of newer boats, or the rear ski locker in older direct drives?

I have a DD and I use a Fly High Pro X Series Tube Sac 62" x 16" x 10" 370+lbs.

Note that the construction of your ski locker may be different depending on your boats year/model.
-My ski locker is not removable and built of fiberglass. It is extremly strong and has held this sac for two years with no modifications and no cracks/issues, etc.
-Some people have a plastic ski locker that can be removed or reinforced. You are correct that you dont want it pressing on your gas tank. Monty was able to remove his and build a custom flat bench of wood to support the tank and fit TWO sacs down there in a 91SS. :)

Okie Boarder
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I have the plastic drop in and have pondered sacs in there. While I'm doing my rebuild, I'm going to see if I can somehow reinforce the drop in using fiberglass so that it can handle a sac.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Personally I DO like having the compartment there with walls containing the sac, as opposed to having nothing down there at all between the hull and the sac. HOWEVER, it would be nice if it held more weight, since it is tough to get enough rear weight in this boat AND it is tougher to build a good plumbed in ballast system if you have lots of sacs.

I still think it would be awesome to get a tank to replace the rear bench seat base like the Supra Launch does. I would love to get a pic of this in a Launch.

supra newbie
01-29-2010, 02:27 AM
thanks for the replies. yes i am talking about the older dd boats. Mine is the removable plactic type. I'm gonna take it apart and see if i could build something to accom the sacs

87SunSportMikeyD
01-29-2010, 05:23 PM
I found it was very easy to plumb the sacs in the locker and beneith the rear seat. THe fill/drain line can go either through the bilge valley or using the space between the hull walls (gunwale). I choose the latter. The reversable Simer pump is under the spotters seat. Using the gunwale I can access the front and rear of the boat. If I was using aerators I would go right down the bilge valley, super simple.

Fill/Drain line going into the fiberglass rear ski locker.
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3490/medium/603722.jpg

Pump and fill/drain line going into the gunwale.
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3490/medium/603699.jpg

Chachi
05-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey Mikey when we meet up this summer I'm gonna have some questions. This is my first year owning a boat so I'm super new to this and don't have the experience with ripping stuff apart to install ballast systems and other mods, but am super excited to get ideas. You post a lot of good stuff and have good knowledge about our boats.

Chris

87SunSportMikeyD
05-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey buddy I cant wait! Always love to expand the crew. Maybe we can get THREE SunSports together for a photo shoot haha! Most of this stuff isn't too hard, but ballast can get complicated. I try to keep everything as removable as possible with minimal permanant alteration to the boat. Thanks for the props! IMHO when you compare the SunSport to other models of similar year, the design is way ahead. Park it next to a SN2001 and you see how much more passenger-friendly and deep and tall the boat is (your legs aren't cramped) and for a DD it is pretty dang roomy. Wait till you see the surf wave. :)

I gotta get my a$$ in gear and get all my engine parts ordered!

saltare inverts
05-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Mikey, when you say engine parts. Do you mean a beefed up transmission for the 502? Actually I was wondering were you got yor simmer pumps. You have posted it before but I cant seem to find it.

mapleleaf
05-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I've been waiting for the 502 to come up this spring......we got some good mileage outta that one last year!!

saltare inverts
05-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Your right maple. I think mikey is not going to do it. It would add weight for his surfing though. That should be enough of a reason.

87SunSportMikeyD
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Hahah you guys are too funny!

Here are the Simers

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Mini-Vac-Pump-12-volt-p7OAK2H.aspx