PDA

View Full Version : What was Mastercraft thinking??

ronixrider82
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I found this interesting reply from Mastercraft to its customers on their team talk forum regarding their ridiculous Cash Rewards scheme. THANK GOD I OWN A SUPRA!!

Here is what MC had to say to its customers upset about Cash Rewards. (cut/paste from MC Team Talk and now removed)

OK guys – I am going to address this and then this is it. This thread will be closed. Furthermore any future threads about Cash Rewards will be deleted because this dance is getting really old. And if you want to challenge that, we will simply take the site down indefinitely. But before I give you the official statement, let me say a few things …again:

1) Those of you wanting an apology, you can go ahead and quit reading. There will be no apology because MasterCraft did nothing wrong. We stand by our decision to promote and endorse Cash Rewards.

2) Team talk is not… I repeat… is NOT a forum where you are allowed to bait us, heckle us and demand some sort of answer from us. That was never the intent of Team Talk and if that is what you guys keep pushing, we will just to end it. We have channels in place for you guys to address your concerns and I can assure you this is not the place. It isn’t that we do not care but presenting it here does little to no good because we are NOT going to handle your issues here. Bottom line - contact a dealer or our customer service instead of hiding behind a mob that “carries” keyboards and monitors instead of a pitchforks and torches.

3) Please stop the whining about the good ol’ days when MasterCraft did not monitor, close or delete threads. Need I remind you that in the good ol’ days there were not nearly as many members as there are presently? Consequently we created rules for OUR site (yes, our site) that would ensure OUR forum did not become a place where we or others got bashed… at OUR expense. So we monitor, close and delete threads because you guys break the very simplest of rules. For example, we ask that you make no derogatory comments about MasterCraft, yet here I am posting in the “MasterCraft…Cowards??” thread. Bottom line, we have expectations of reasonable discussions by reasonable people, however, that seemingly is becoming harder and harder for you all to do. As a result, we create and enforce rules to ensure sanity and reasonability. If that doesn’t work, then we will take the site down.

4) Learn the importance of being a bit more objective. The fact that a bunch of you are so fired up about this when none of you used it (except JohnE) is simply childish. Truth is we have been working countless hours on the phone with CR and customers trying to make sure the landing is the smoothest it can be. While many of us here are doing that for the customers that actually used the program, you are on TT acting like you are best friends with the guy that died in high school when the truth is you never had anything to do with him.

With that said, here is the official statement from MasterCraft about Cash Rewards relevant to what we know at this time. And yes it is from our lawyers because one of the things you never take into consideration when you don’t hear from us is the liability of any written response. Without further adieu...

OFFICIAL STATEMENT:
“We understand that there are a lot of questions surrounding Cash Rewards, Inc. (“Cash Rewards”) and the Cash Rewards program developed and administered by Cash Rewards in light of the recent bankruptcy filing by Cash Rewards in Dallas, Texas. We at MasterCraft have questions as well. But we are not in any position to answer questions at this time because the U.S. Bankruptcy Court has not set forth a plan for us, or any other creditors, to follow. The fact remains that Cash Rewards operated a promotional program and who, like many other financial institutions, encountered an unprecedented financial crisis. Cash Rewards is not affiliated with, is not owned by, and is not under the control of MasterCraft. Instead, Cash Rewards is an independent business entity who operated a promotional program with MasterCraft (through MasterCraft’s contract with Cash Rewards) and with various other businesses in a variety of industries. In accordance with the contract, all monies paid into the Cash Rewards program were to be held in escrow pursuant to the terms of the Cash Rewards program. A Bankruptcy Trustee has been appointed to oversee the administration of future claims relating to the Cash Rewards program. It is MasterCraft’s understanding that the Trustee will appoint a new Independent Third Party Administrator to administer the claims process going forward. So while no new certificates may be issued under the Cash Rewards program, consumers who are holding Cash Rewards Certificates will be able to follow through on their claims subject to the terms of the program and subject to any future orders that may be issued by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.”

Bottom line – MasterCraft has fully paid their obligations to Cash Rewards so if the dealer paid their part and the customer did their part CORRECTLY, their money is safe and they will receive payout.

For those of you wanting a contact to address issues with Cash Rewards, we have not received the information from the courts. Once we do, we can certainly make that available.

Now go do something more productive…

iwakeboard
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Yea, I read that on WakeWorld. It sounds like a disgruntled employee who was on the verge of a layoff, doing a bit of venting. Nonetheless, completely inappropriate.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Can we take rules 2 & 3 and tape them to the fridge so to speak? Those are good rules.

I cant say I hear anything innapproptiate there...?

The only thing I don't like about their responce is their assumption that if you paid in, your money is safe. Nothing is safe when they declare bankrupcy, you may get all back, some, or none.

michael hunter
01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
This is the reason I don't post on Team. I do go there from time to time and I find the reading quite boring. The freedom to express compliments, complaints and opinions makes the forum better. I want all kinds of posts not just the ones I like. You ask What was MC Thinking? PROFITS!!!! There is no way MC didnt see the writing on the wall with this program. I'm sure it produced large short term sales and higher margins per boat. They charged a higher price and let the buyer believe the rebate was a sure thing as long as the paper work was done correctly. With the rebate the boat was a great deal without it it was a ripoff. Now that they have effectively ripped off hundreds/ thousands of customers the best they can come up with is its not MC shut up and stop whining. Its common knowledge how MC conducts their business. I think the boat is somewhat over priced but still a high quality top end boat. With all the Customer Service and attitude baggage they have they are last on my list.

jet
01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
WOW! That came from a company?? I was pitched that deal a while back at a boat show..I knew I smelled fish! I have been following the tread on wakeworld..man I have never recieved so many pings from a single thread before, Its been going on for weeks now. Glad my boat has a Supra sign on it. jet

04Gravity
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Not exactly the thing that people shopping for boats want to read. If I was gonna drop $75k on a new boat, that would take Mastercraft out of the list of possible purchases for me

jonyb
01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
1. Owning a Supra has nothing to do with a Cash Rewards program.

2. If you're dumb enough to think that with the economy going to the crapper and buy an overpriced boat from a manufacturer that says you can have $10K back in a year or so, then you're just dumb....

3. Talk about an abuse of power. But AT LEAST THE COMPANY PAYS ATTENTION TO THEIR FORUM.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-29-2010, 04:14 PM
But AT LEAST THE COMPANY PAYS ATTENTION TO THEIR FORUM.

Yeah and what did they tell them Jon?

"We have channels in place for you guys to address your concerns and I can assure you this is not the place. It isn’t that we do not care but presenting it here does little to no good because we are NOT going to handle your issues here. Bottom line - contact a dealer or our customer service instead of hiding behind a mob that “carries” keyboards and monitors instead of a pitchforks and torches."

jonyb
01-29-2010, 04:30 PM
It is what it is Mikey.

87SunSportMikeyD
01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
So did you ever try calling the person at SC who was trying to help you? You may have to try more than once or twice to get through.

You already got the attention of the owner of the company, how much do you need?

jonyb
01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Just did, and yes, he answered. There was some miscommunication up there though, because he thought that I'd talked to someone else about the issue and wasn't pursuing it. Also, I'd sent 3 emails, and only 1 supposedly made it through. The first one (the most important) made it, the reminders (did you receive the first one?) didn't. So here I sat waiting, once again. They're working on it, so I'll leave it at that.

Got the owners attention? Yes, I've seen him post on here and other places, but that's it. When I tried to contact him just like he requested, I never got him and it was turned over to Anthony.

ronixrider82
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
If it was me and I bought a new mastercraft and were suppose to recive the rebate and saw that from Mastercraft I would be LIVID! I am saying good thing I bought a Supra it was because they make good d*mn boat's with great wake's that are not overpriced and we DO NOT have to deal with some stupid rebate.

I think the msg from mastercraft was just outright uncalled for. I would NOT want to hear that from the dealer who I just bought a 90,000 boat from! And yeah they monitor there website but look of what they said when they put something on it :roll:

michael hunter
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I was at a small local boat show yesterday. 09 X55 128k list show special 97k.
07 X15 98k list show special 56k How else can they sell a 1-3 year old boat with out some kind of scam?

ronixrider82
01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah I know how boat sales work... When I worked for the dealer I learned alot of things... NEVER EVER trade your boat in is num 1... And the mark up on a new boat... eh 89,999 dealer cost was 58,000

WadsworthSunsport22V
01-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah I know how boat sales work... When I worked for the dealer I learned alot of things... NEVER EVER trade your boat in is num 1... And the mark up on a new boat... eh 89,999 dealer cost was 58,000

Do boats really have that much markup?

ronixrider82
02-01-2010, 03:48 AM
YES! That is why I will NEVER buy a new boat unless the dealer show's me the invoice!

docdrs
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
then there are dealer rebates depending on the number of units sold

mapleleaf
02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't want to stir the pot here, what MC said is unacceptable in my books, but it does sound a little ponzi this rebate....How are people still getting themselves this kinda stupid sh*t?????

87SunSportMikeyD
02-02-2010, 01:07 PM
This rebate is for referrals right?

Fman
02-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Seeing that letter from Mastercraft makes me realize they are suffering in this economy. People are not buying 90k boats on home equity lines of credit anymore. To purchase a 90k boat you better have the cash or income to back it up. Maybe they will adjust there prices to make there boats more affordable. I would think SC would benefit from this making there product even more appealing to the upper end buyer not wanting to spend 90k but still recieving a comparable product.

I have to give mastercraft a thumbs down for that article, disappointing but I still like there boats :)