PDA

View Full Version : Supra or MasterCraft

beast 496
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
I have a customer who wants a new boat this year. She does not need a competion ski boat but does want an inboard. I am trying to convince her to buy a Supra, but she seems to like Master Craft's. I do not know why she prefers the Master Craft as she has not driven a new inboard in close to 20 years. Give me some pointers to convince her to look at Supra. I have customers with both brands and I seem to have more repairs on the Master Crafts. Over all I do not care for the direction M/C has taken the boats. I really like the new Supra's Come on guy's spring is around the corner and I want to keep a happy customer. Al

docdrs
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
THe supra 24 pulls comps with stock ballast

WadsworthSunsport22V
01-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Supra's cost 40% less for basically the same boat. I looked at MC before I purchased my Supra and had sticker shock. I may get flamed, but these boats are a glass hull with an Indmar engine. The main difference being the layout, trim and options.

Fman
01-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Supra uses the same drivetrain as Mastercraft, and also will give you many more standard options than the Mastercraft would charge extra for. I think both are great boats, and of course MC has some features that Supra does not offer, and Supra has some features MC does not offer. My friend has an X-15, very nice boat, but honestly for the extra $$$ dont even think it comes close to being worth it. Plus I do like how many extra options I have on my boat that his X-15 did not come with.

Obviously you cant go wrong with either.... I also like how Supra (SC) only build 6-8 different boats, IMO Mastercraft has way to large of a fleet, go on there website, its crazy how many different types of boats they build. They claim to have a large share of the marketplace, which they should considering how many different boats they build.

What size boat are they looking for?

michael hunter
01-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Beast
Have her read the What Was Mastercraft Thinking thread.

docdrs
01-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Unless she is going to do her own service, i think she should go with the dealer that will provide the best for her..........But i think we all know side by side you get more in a sc vs a mc.......both are good products . both have the same engines....... indmar......

beast 496
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
As for service, I will be contracted to service the boat either from the Supra dealer or the Master Craft dealer. I have a several already from both. Neither brand boats have many warranty issues. The boat needs to farely short in height, need to fit under a railroad bridge. 20 to21' long would be plenty, direct drive or v drive. either one. NO tower, or other such items. just a basic ski boat. Al

michael hunter
01-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Before she buys a MC look at the new Nautique 200.

beast 496
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Jonyb, I respect your responce, but I have taken several Supra's, Malibu's, Nautiques and Master Crafts apart, structurally. The Supra's are everybit built as good or better than Master Crafts. The early Nautiques are week in the bow and the malibu's have poor fit and finish throughout. The Fit and Finish of the Supra is much better than the new current Master Craft. The Choice has been set to either Supra or Master Craft for her. These are the two manufactures we will be dealing with. The boat must be short in height Direct Drive or V Drive and around 21 or 20'. Indmar power is standard, so drivetrain is mute. Al

RickT
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
It is my understanding that our customer service department is working with you to try to resolve open issues with your selling dealer and the product. I hope that is the case.

Rick

beast 496
01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I Wish I had never started this thread. Some people can never be satisfied. That is why I will not take on a new customer unless that person has been referred by a good outstanding current customer. Al

beast 496
01-30-2010, 10:45 AM
All I wanted to get was some good information from boat owners who love their Supra's. I have my ideas of why SUPRA is better than Master Craft, But I am requesting others. And YES, I do get to choose my customers. I do not have to advertise and the shop also has an unlisted phone number. We have a customer base of 146 full time returning customers where we take care of over 300 units. Units are, ski boats, cruisers, pontoon's and jet ski's. This is why I will go the extra effort to help satisfy my customers. Sure I can let my customer pick what ever looks good in a broceir, but If she is not happy with it, I will be the heel. Keep some good thoughts coming. Al

myturndad
01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
wow guys!

i will give you my opinion. i owned a 02 moomba outback and a 05 supra ssv 22 and yes now own a 07 mc x2. both skier's choice and mc make a great boat.

supra plus's. much better tower along with trailer. wish when i had mine it had a few things such as snap out carpet along with a drip in ice chest. overall had a great experience with my supra other than a few gel coat cracks and some hull blistering which were taken care of by both mr tinker and my dealer at the time.

mc plus's. thicker hull and much better vinyl and interior layout. love the drop in cooler to, such a simple idea. big weekness tower and trailer.

but for me it came down to dealer support. skier's choice has had a horrible time having a quality dealer in the state of oklahoma!!! that simple if they would have had a good dealer i would still own a supra and saved some $$.

okie boarer has been behind my ride:)

beast 496
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
I own a mobile marine service and managment company. I was an engineer at another boat manufacturer other than Supra for 9 years before entering the Service oriented business. All of my customers are concidered friends. Like I said earlier, we are very selective on who we will take on as a customer. One we are extremely busy, give excellant service on a very timely basis. If we would take on every job available, we would not be able to accomplish as good of service to our main customer base. Just because a dealer is large does not mean they are good or have good service. We are very small and cator to a select few. I will be traveling to several boat shows this winter/spring to locate the perfect boat for this particular customer. Al

michael hunter
01-31-2010, 12:19 AM
beast
Are you going to the Indy boat show?

beast 496
01-31-2010, 11:18 AM
If a decision has not been made yet, yes we will be at the Indy boat show. We are definatly going to Miami, which is just before the Indy show. Al

michael hunter
01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Beast
We are going to the Indy show also. Let me know when you are going Ill meet you there .

WadsworthSunsport22V
01-31-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, good luck in your search. Seems like the boat shows this year have been lacking so it may be wise to hit all the dealers. I had to travel 2 hours to look at all teh boats before buying mine. Internet research is worthless when looking for any of these wakeboats.

Btw, what made you decide on Supra? This being my first boat, my decision came down to the dealer, but in the end, my selling dealer is awful. My new dealer -great. If I do it all over - I would buy a Supra again, from my new dealer. However, if I was in old location, I would get Malibu or Tige.

jonyb
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Mastercraft: Way too pricey. Bare bones 20.5' boat for $65K.
Malibu: The dealer had sold their alotment of boats, in August. None to choose from.
Nautique: Too pricey, dealer was too pushy and arrogant. They no longer sell the brand.
Supra: Lots of features, custom trailer, wanted a 24' boat, price was right.
Tige: Nice looking boats, decently priced, but something about them back then just didn't reel me in.

I bought the boat before it was even picked up from the factory. When it arrived at the dealer, I was already there to pick it up, still wrapped in shrinkwrap. I helped them assemble everything that day and then was on my way for the 3.5 hour drive home. I was kind of dissapointed that they didn't want to watertest it, but I was so anxious to get home and get ready for the next day I just trusted that it was good, when it wasn't. An elbow that gets water to the exhaust manifold on top of the engine was cracked and later broke. I didn't look too closely at how they were built. A former dealer showed us the 24SSV on the same day we went to all the other dealers and it just made sense for the price. That dealer doesn't sell Supra anymore, but the salesman was pretty knowledgeable. The problem is that they wanted $7,000 more for the standard 24SSV then we got our GG boat for. It was a no-brainer.

Fman
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
John,

I still think you have one of the nicest rides on the water, I would take your 24SSV over just about anything on the water. My '08 had a couple issues, one was the ballast fill/drain system which I fixed myself and the other was the Roswell swivel racks which were replaced by Roswell and work great now. Other than those two items I do believe Supra builds a very nice, upper end boat that can easily compete with Mastercraft and Nautique. Personally, I would not hesitate for a second to buy another Supra, I wish I could afford a 2010 24 SSV with the progressive tower, those boats IMO are just plain sweet!

SC has definitely made some improvements from '07 to 2010 models, the fuel pump delivery system, ballast fill/drain, board racks, Supravision, snap out carpet, and progressive tower. SC is moving in the right direction.

beast 496
02-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I would really like to know why my thread of "which is better Supra or Master Craft" Has been HI JACKED!!! I was not asking for a bitch session of Supra. If you have nothing positive to offer, please don't post negitive comments of Supra. Al

Fman
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
I would really like to know why my thread of "which is better Supra or Master Craft" Has been HI JACKED!!! I was not asking for a bitch session of Supra. If you have nothing positive to offer, please don't post negitive comments of Supra. Al

Has freedom of speech been restricted on this board now? I never thought it got out of control, but maybe SC felt it was not appropriate??????

Al, unfortunately comparing Supra vs. Mastercraft is like comparing a Ford vs. Chevy. Eventually someone will cross the line... but then again, its just an opinion from someone. I believe in this case there is a very unsatisfied customer, I hope they get it all worked out.

docdrs
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Al asked why you like your supra, every comment that was deleted had absolutely nothing to do with the thread. If you need to complain about something start a new thread. Someone was asking why you like your boat not why some guy should sell his boat or why he hates his dealer. I am all for hearing about problems people run into with their boat or there dealer or SC. But this guy was asking for positive and constructive information. Not where the majority of this thread was heading. I deleted those posts on the thread starter request, and i am in no way connected with SC.
If you want them back, start a thread on why you hate your boat and i'll be glad to move them in there.

Freedom of speech lives in Supra Forums, lets try and stay close to the thread topic

jet
02-05-2010, 12:00 AM
What is the C for in SC? Supra...? Community? Jet

iwakeboard
02-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Skiers Choice

jet
02-05-2010, 12:20 AM
OOH! I feel dumb.

Fman
02-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Al asked why you like your supra, every comment that was deleted had absolutely nothing to do with the thread. If you need to complain about something start a new thread. Someone was asking why you like your boat not why some guy should sell his boat or why he hates his dealer. I am all for hearing about problems people run into with their boat or there dealer or SC. But this guy was asking for positive and constructive information. Not where the majority of this thread was heading. I deleted those posts on the thread starter request, and i am in no way connected with SC.
If you want them back, start a thread on why you hate your boat and i'll be glad to move them in there.

Freedom of speech lives in Supra Forums, lets try and stay close to the thread topic

Doc,

You make a good point, it was getting off the thread subject.

myturndad
02-05-2010, 10:14 AM

i guess no one read my post. i never "bashed" skiers choice. in fact i pointed out their plus sides.

for me it can down to "horrible" dealers support in the state of oklahoma. if they would have listened to a few of the dealers i recommended they would still have a quality dealer here that would be making sales.

currently in the state. 2 mastercraft dealers, 2 correct craft, 2 tige, 2 malibu and 1 centurion dealerships.

the lake that okie boarder and i go to there are at least 5-7 skier's choice boats.

beast 496
02-05-2010, 11:47 AM
To me, Supra has better styling, better basic looks. The engine is bullet proof. I think Supra has a better "WoW" effect. Which in turn make a person happier with the boat. I will be inspecting very deeply the electronics, and apholstery fit and finish. This is where the difference may come in effect. Al

Fman
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
To me, Supra has better styling, better basic looks. The engine is bullet proof. I think Supra has a better "WoW" effect. Which in turn make a person happier with the boat. I will be inspecting very deeply the electronics, and apholstery fit and finish. This is where the difference may come in effect. Al

I would bet Supra and MC use very similiar wiring, considering the drivetrains are pretty much identical (engine, trans, v-drive). I will say my friends X-15 has better toggle switches. They are a little more heavy duty than the plastic ones SC uses. Not a deal breaker, but I am anticipating I will have to replace some of these in the future, they dont seem to be marine grade.

The newer Supras are using the syntec-vinyl and gore tenera threads which held up very well last year in my boat. Have had no staining or tearing, and my boat gets used hard with multiple kids and family on the boat.

Like I said earlier, IMO you cant go wrong with either boat.

tg0824SSVGG
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Beast - Mastercraft also uses Indmar engines, so they are IDENTICAL in that regard.

Personally, I HATE the MasterCraft towers - there are other things about MC that I
really like, but the tower makes it a non-starter for me.

In my personal opinion, no matter which boat you go with - if you don't like your
DEALER, you will not be as happy as you could be. As an example,

Assume your local MC dealer is fantastic, but the Supra dealer is a jerk.

In that case, I would tend to lean more towards MC, because you NEED a good
relationship with a dealer to truly be happy.

My dealer, who I loved - unfortunately went out of business, and the replacement
dealer is ok, but I just don't have the relationship with them I had before.

I think all "top end boats" are very similar, some have a few things I like better than
others - I didn't want a Malibu (even though I could have bought a fantastic used one
for a LOT less from a friend), because I had had a bad experience with the Malibu dealer
nearby. (since has been fixed, but at the time - I didn't want to go there).

I think a lot more than just the fit/features of a given boat should be considered, for
example, my Supra dealer (the new one) is about 25 miles from where I live, but
all the others, Tige, MasterCraft and Malibu are 80 miles from where I live. I really
don't want to have to travel like that for simple service or warranty work that I don't
do myself.

Make sense?

Todd

beast 496
02-05-2010, 03:34 PM
The dealer is a non issue, I will be servicing the boat. I already deal with both Master Craft and Supra dealers. Another the boat will not have a tower. Boat is now narrowed down to a must have,
1. Center engine drive
2. No tower
3. Under 23'
4. Open Bow
5. Ballast system not needed

tg0824SSVGG
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
The dealer is a non issue, I will be servicing the boat. I already deal with both Master Craft and Supra dealers. Another the boat will not have a tower. Boat is now narrowed down to a must have,
1. Center engine drive
2. No tower
3. Under 23'
4. Open Bow
5. Ballast system not needed

Does Supra even make a direct drive (center engine) anymore?

beast 496
02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
I know the Moomba line does. I was also unsure. about the direct drive, issue. Al

jonyb
02-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Now we're talking about Moomba's. Supra doesn't make a direct drive. Totally different finishes from Moomba to Supra.

WadsworthSunsport22V
02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I would bet Supra and MC use very similiar wiring, considering the drivetrains are pretty much identical (engine, trans, v-drive). I will say my friends X-15 has better toggle switches. They are a little more heavy duty than the plastic ones SC uses. Not a deal breaker, but I am anticipating I will have to replace some of these in the future, they dont seem to be marine grade.

I have replaced a switch. It was a switch that was not used until I added tower lights. The switch worked a few times (4 or 5) then the toggle stopped toggling. No big deal, but fortunately the boat is still under warranty - this should not be a wear and tear part. These boats should use industrial grade switches.

beast 496
02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
We went to a few shows, not really impressed with the master craft 190 or 192. Not really impressed by the Moomba either. We are now comparing Supra and Nautique. The Supra is V drive and the Nautuque is direct drive. The nautique is nice, 200 48k dealer network is odd, could be a deal breaker. The Supra i deeper and looks to be a drier boat. The boat will have to be ordered, due to the optional towers. Not happening, the boat will be setting on a covered lift, and must fit under a rail road bridge. I will keep you posted. Al

docdrs
02-07-2010, 01:26 PM
If you cant have a tower, one thing may be to consider is the barefoot training system that is a windshield option on the mastercraft.....if they think they may want a boom in the future..i think its on the MC 214. Plus they can always put up a skylon extension on the pylon. But you prob have covered that

beast 496
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
This boat will not be used for skiing hardly at all. She just want's an inboard for status and some manuverability. The lake we live on Lake Wawasee is somewhat different. To big to really ski on but extremly high priced property. Thus you need a high priced runabout boat, inboard. Thanks for the input though on the barefooting option. Al

tg0824SSVGG
02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow - my mom's grandfather had a "cottage" on Lake Wawasee -- she used to talk about
spending her summers there -- hadn't heard that name in a LONG time.